Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

Joe Cool

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
My 2018 JLUR has the full blown steering issue. After reading this entire thread, I am convinced my issue is the steering box. I can drive and move the steering wheel about 1" side-side with NO steering movement transmitted to my front wheels.

I did change to the RC damper and it lessened the side-side tracking a bit, but the 1" steering play has not changed. I am getting better at subconciously adjusting to the play. I believe the stiffer damper, mental adjustments, flashing the computer, front end alignment and other adjustments are simply treating the symptoms, not fixing the cause of the problem. I cannot speak for anyone else, but my jeep has a bad steering box.

I now have 1800 miles and will be making a dealer appointment to begin the process of getting a new steering box. I expect the typical run around, but will at least have my problem documented. I also expect an eventual TSB on the steering boxes. I suspect it is a manufacturing issue fron a particular run or plant.

I love my Rubicon, so I will tough it out until the problem is resolved. FCA will step up under pressure or the aftermarket will develop and sell replacement steering boxes. Either way it will be resolved.

I want to thank everyone for posting and helping me tp analize and make a plan to resolve my issue.
Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
My 2018 JLUR has the full blown steering issue. After reading this entire thread, I am convinced my issue is the steering box. I can drive and move the steering wheel about 1" side-side with NO steering movement transmitted to my front wheels.

I did change to the RC damper and it lessened the side-side tracking a bit, but the 1" steering play has not changed. I am getting better at subconciously adjusting to the play. I believe the stiffer damper, mental adjustments, flashing the computer, front end alignment and other adjustments are simply treating the symptoms, not fixing the cause of the problem. I cannot speak for anyone else, but my jeep has a bad steering box.

I now have 1800 miles and will be making a dealer appointment to begin the process of getting a new steering box. I expect the typical run around, but will at least have my problem documented. I also expect an eventual TSB on the steering boxes. I suspect it is a manufacturing issue fron a particular run or plant.

I love my Rubicon, so I will tough it out until the problem is resolved. FCA will step up under pressure or the aftermarket will develop and sell replacement steering boxes. Either way it will be resolved.

I want to thank everyone for posting and helping me tp analize and make a plan to resolve my issue.
This might be the TSB you are seeking - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/my-steering-issues-have-been-fixed.12843/

chadc880

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Just got back from the dealership the TSB did not make a difference with my steering however the 4 loose ball joints correctly torqued I believe has made the biggest difference not sure if it’s completely hundred percent yet.

Holymoly1963

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3, Wrangler JL Sport with bad steering
Just got back from the dealership the TSB did not make a difference with my steering however the 4 loose ball joints correctly torqued I believe has made the biggest difference not sure if it’s completely hundred percent yet.
TSB number please?

Sponsored

chadc880

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
My gut has been telling me to try the steering adjustment again. The dealer couldn't get it to bunch. He gave me permission to adjust it to his mark. I tried the other night and it was stuck solid with lock tight. So tonight I tried again. Working it slowly back and forth with vice grips carefully. Allen Key was already stripped. I used a heat gun on the nut and carefully working it back and forth it finally moved. I moved the adjuster to his mark at 1/8 from the factory mark. I will let the video speak for itself.

DToxic

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
My gut has been telling me to try the steering adjustment again. The dealer couldn't get it to bunch. He gave me permission to adjust it to his mark. I tried the other night and it was stuck solid with lock tight. So tonight I tried again. Working it slowly back and forth with vice grips carefully. Allen Key was already stripped. I used a heat gun on the nut and carefully working it back and forth it finally moved. I moved the adjuster to his mark at 1/8 from the factory mark. I will let the video speak for itself.

can you show which screw you adjusted?

kevinkeplar

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Latest update on my steering saga... If you recall, at my last visit to the dealership (#5), I was told that nothing else could be found, that the steering was "normal," and that I should drive my new $50K Wrangler for a while and see if I don't come to like this new approach to steering...

I drove it for a few days and, surprise surprise, I still did not like the way it handled. So I called my sales guy. Before buying, I test drove another Sahara (identical to the one I purchased other than the wheels and tires and a few options that I really wanted), but didn't recall that it drove as erratically as mine did. Surely I would have noticed. So I arranged to meet with my sales guy and drive that one again (thankfully it was still on the lot). Sure enough, it drove considerably different than mine.

I convinced a tech to hop in my Jeep and go for yet another drive (remember, they have driven a number of other Wranglers and have told me that they are all pretty much the same... even saying that mind drives better than some). We drove mine for a bit, did some "wandering" on some straight roads, took some sketchy turns at speed, etc. He agreed that it wasn't super solid, but that it still was better than others and was the new normal. Then we took the other Wrangler out (the one I had test drove). Same route, and sure enough, he felt the difference! He looked a bit defeated when he said, "I really wanted them to be right, that your Jeep was fixed, but this one does handle much better." They kept my Wrangler and are continuing to dig deeper into the problem.

So, if you're lucky enough to have a good steering model at your dealership (it may take some test driving to find it), make sure the techs are using that one as a base of comparison. Sooner or later, this pesky problem may get figured out.

I'll keep you all posted.

Mr Bill

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I keep hoping the more miles I drive the better it will feel. I lowered my tire pressure seemed to improve slightly sometimes it feels better than others but overall still not the most "comfortable" of drives especially at highway speeds. Going to take a look at the ball joints this weekend. Trying to be patient and see if FCA announces a fix if not when I take in for first oil change will see if they will also do the TSB on steering even though my VIN is not listed. Thanks again for the update. Quite the puzzle!

Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon

Steering boxes basically haven’t changed for at least 30 years (I had an 87 Wagoneer with the same design) but yet Jeep, “techs” don’t have a clue about it. People wonder why I don’t trust dealerships.

I’ll try adjusting mine again this weekend and I bet it will fix my problem.

TJ&JL

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL, 2005 Jeep TJ
It is a shame that people spend 35 to 50sum thousand dollars on a new Jeep and then have to figure out how to fix it themselves.

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
It is a shame that people spend 35 to 50sum thousand dollars on a new Jeep and then have to figure out how to fix it themselves.
I've bought 2 JL Jeeps and haven't had to fix anything.

Yet
Sponsored