Sponsored

Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Alright yesterday was the last straw, a cop pulled me over thinking I was intoxicated. I explained the situation, passed the sobriety test, and was told to get the Wrangler looked at. I went home, tried to loosen the hex bolt once more by hand but still couldn't. I took a weak impact gun (max 150 ft. lbs) and rounded the hex bolt. :mad: However I did tighten the large nut a little more, which caused the hex bolt to tighten a little, and I did notice an improvement.

Off to the dealership tomorrow, so much for sleeping in. :(
Sponsored

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
^^
That sucks. I wouldn’t mention to the dealer anything about you messing with the adjustment screw. Just get them to replace the whole steering box. If they realized you rounded the hex bolt then they could decline to repair anything.

Good luck.

sonchik

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon 2018
Got mine Rubicon JL less than a month ago, have now about 600 miles and experienxe the same steering issue. Finally searched the forum and found this five month long thread. Glad to know I am not alone but also realize, after reading every post, there doesn’t seem to be a definitive solution that dealers or FCA acknowledges or stands by.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I got to the dealership when they opened and they're booked until Monday. So we'll see what they say Monday.

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Got mine Rubicon JL less than a month ago, have now about 600 miles and experienxe the same steering issue. Finally searched the forum and found this five month long thread. Glad to know I am not alone but also realize, after reading every post, there doesn’t seem to be a definitive solution that dealers or FCA acknowledges or stands by.
But there is a fix and the new steering box did it for me! Unfortunately, it seems there are still brand new JLs off the lots that still have the issue.

Sponsored

sonchik

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon 2018
But there is a fix and the new steering box did it for me! Unfortunately, it seems there are still brand new JLs off the lots that still have the issue.
I read your posts and understand that the problem was fixed. That’s good to know. I also remember someone else posting that after they had a new sterring box put in it didn’t solve the issue.

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I read your posts and understand that the problem was fixed. That’s good to know. I also remember someone else posting that after they had a new sterring box put in it didn’t solve the issue.
Yeah, seems like the screw is set differently for some, it seems. It's gotta be as simple as a screw adjustment though. Sucks that whoever is doing quality control on these seems to be nappin' on the job!
I would have sold mine for a loss if I couldn't get it corrected.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
So we just bought ours last night. Drove 4 hours driving the wife’s 17 Grand Cherokee. The short drive to the hotel felt like it was all over the place. Today driving home I felt it wonder a bunch. I started to get used to it but you are constantly giving inputs to the wheel to keep it straight. I will stay close to this thread but seems mine may be doing similar things.

Dormamu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2022 Pacifica Hybrid, 1978 LandCruiser
So we just bought ours last night. Drove 4 hours driving the wife’s 17 Grand Cherokee. The short drive to the hotel felt like it was all over the place. Today driving home I felt it wonder a bunch. I started to get used to it but you are constantly giving inputs to the wheel to keep it straight. I will stay close to this thread but seems mine may be doing similar things.

So was it something that you didn't feel on your test drive?

I ask because I was hoping I could avoid this steering problem with a good test drive! We drove one yesterday and I didn't feel the steering problems, but I drove one a few months back and definitely experienced it.

Tommy1569

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL unlimited sport s
Occupation
Delphi
No Complaints here! 2018 JLUS love it!

Sponsored

Holymoly1963

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3, Wrangler JL Sport with bad steering
I got to the dealership when they opened and they're booked until Monday. So we'll see what they say Monday.
Mines booked for 2 and a half weeks, so driving the Mazda now most of the time. I like looking at the Jeep though. Most expensive piece of art, I own!

Tommy1569

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL unlimited sport s
Occupation
Delphi
Always been lucky.... only thing is the standard 5" radio rebooting on me... can't wait to upgrade to Alpine

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
So was it something that you didn't feel on your test drive?

I ask because I was hoping I could avoid this steering problem with a good test drive! We drove one yesterday and I didn't feel the steering problems, but I drove one a few months back and definitely experienced it.
Well I didn’t test drive mine, oops. We drove a long way and misted wanted to get out of there. Not sure on a short test drive I would have. For me I really had to get up to speed on the highway.

I am also thinking that maybe I don’t have the issue and it is just due to the rig being bigger and more susceptible to wind. When I read other peoples examples theirs sound way worse. I will continue to monitor.

kevinkeplar

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Another update on my steering... After a couple days of highway driving after getting the TSB (TSB #08-092-18) update, I can now say that it has definitely NOT been fixed. I said in my previous post that it did seem better, which it does... so either the software update helps, or I am just getting pretty good at driving this sloppy thing. I returned to the dealership and requested to drive a 2018 JK - and the difference was night and day, confirming that I am simply getting used to loose steering.

I have my 4th service appointment next week. Fingers crossed that we can get to the bottom of this problem.
Sponsored