Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
There are some guys here saying its normal, some are saying its not. I dont know, this is my first. I dont mind it not driving like a normal car, in fact the drive around town is really cool, but one thing I know for sure is that on my first drive home doing 70 I got into a wobbly situation that was down-right dangerous. Didnt drive 70 all the 250 remaining miles back home.

So lets assume the drive is normal, or a Jeep thing or whatever you want to call it, then why is there no warning from Jeep saying dont drive this vehicle at 70 and above since you're probably going to die. So either its not normal, or there needs to be a section in the manual explaining that you cant drive this at normal highway speeds. Since there is not, im assuming its okay to drive at highway speeds, and since i almost lost control of the vehicle at highway speeds, im assuming its not normal.
Your experience on the highway is not normal. Google ā€œJeep death wobbleā€ and youā€™ll see tons of posts where the JK had this problem. Let us know if itā€™s the same experience you had so we can confirm the death wobble is on the new JL.

Thx
Sponsored

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
I have a 2005 Xterra with 190k hard miles on it. It drifts, of course, and like you say I hardly notice that I am correcting for it when I'm not focused on the wheel. In the X though, when you move the wheel the vehicle changes direction. The problem with the JL when you have this issue is that you have to be focused on the wheel and your lane all the time. Any lapse at all and you are out of your lane. In mine the drifts aren't sudden but they are significant enough that you have to correct them, and they are significant enought that in traffic you don't dare crowd one side of a lane. I would be thrilled with a drifter I could keep on the road without having to think about it at this point. If you are able to drop focus and keep it in the lane on reflex then you definately don't have the problem.
Yep, I donā€™t have to focus on keeping in the lane. I pretty much drive it like I stole it now, and the less I think about it the easier it is to drive. When I move the wheel the Jeep responds accordingly. I have no dead spot in the steering just drifting due to wind and the large tires.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
My stock Sahara handled fine for 1500 miles. Put a RC 2.5 lift (spacers) still drove fine. Put 285/75r18 (roughly a 35x11) cooper discover at3 xlt handles terribly. Iā€™m running 36lbs in them, it wonders so bad I wonā€™t drive it over 60mph. Around town at lower speed itā€™s not to bad. But anything above 50 and itā€™s to hands on the wheel.
Had that problem with Falken wildpeak 35s on my F150. Never again.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Hereā€™s a couple of vids I posted in another thread Iā€™m tracking here where a few owners are getting steering boxes replaced and/or adjusting the screw on the steering box as well. Just wanted to show what I was experiencing so others could compare and possibly post themselves.

First vid is my son driving the wrangler. He doesnā€™t have much time behind the wheel of any vehicle and is still a novice. He moves the wheel more frequently because heā€™s trying to keep the Jeep in the center like heā€™s been told over and over to do.

Second vid is of me driving the same road but in the opposite direction. As you can see Iā€™m not adjusting the wheel as much.

And lastly hereā€™s a vid of the Jeep on a pretty straight and smooth road. Towards the end Iā€™m showing how much perceived play I have in the wheel. Keep in mind as Iā€™m moving the wheel back and forth the Jeep is also moving ever so slightly on the road. So that tells me any input I give tot he wheel is recieved by the wheels, so there is no dead zone that I can tell.

Hope this helps everyone.

3uPh0riK

First Name
Christiaan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Ranger Wildtrak
Your experience on the highway is not normal. Google ā€œJeep death wobbleā€ and youā€™ll see tons of posts where the JK had this problem. Let us know if itā€™s the same experience you had so we can confirm the death wobble is on the new JL.

Thx
After googling, what I experienced didnt seem as bad as the death wobble. It was basically the "drifting" thats been explained on the forum, but due to my speed and most probably some cross-wind it was a back and forth drift that I couldn't get under control for a couple of seconds. It felt a little like aquaplaning.

I haven't done too much highway driving since, but ive reduced my tire pressure a fair bit since then. So im not 100% sure if they issue is better, but i definitely feel more comfortable than i did on that first trip

Sponsored

dare333

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU 2D
Just finished driving my JLR 2D on the highway.

Yeah, that was pretty terrifying.

I tried to look at it from the perspective that "it's a Jeep thing" which the dealership basically said. I tried to look at it that there is a "new" way to drive or whatever. Definitely, this thing drives like no other vehicle (car or truck!) I have ever driven including my last Jeep JK that I had for 7 years. Now, it may be true that the sum of corrections while driving is similar for some. For my Jeep, it's the severity of the correction needed. That's what's producing the white knuckles.

To further establish some clarity around this, I had a 2D Jeep JK rip by me on the highway with the top down and 2 people in the back seat going about 130Kph, while I am struggling to keep the thing in the damn lane at 105. Swaying side to side every few seconds by the feet sometimes. There MAY be wheel turning happening in the "dead zone"... but it's INEFFECTIVE to course correct in a timely manner resulting in a constant series of over corrections. Combine that with any bumps or level changing on the road there is your white knuckle, two hander experience. It feels like when there is a curve or bump sometimes that the wheels just change direction and I haven't deliberately moved the wheel but I think that I have moved it. It's like the "dead zone" is way too light and the "not dead zone" is way too strong.

My "memory" of driving my last vehicle is pretty solid since I didn't drive it that long ago and it drove like a boat on the highway. That thing wasn't changing course unless I TOLD IT DO no matter what the stupid tire pressure was at. I felt perfectly comfortable at 150Kph (pretty much maxed out.) By comparison, this JL drives like a bouncy go-kart driving on Jello that reacts dramatically to even the tiniest bump.

So, we know that there are lots of people who have perfect and awesome steering. GREAT. This thread is for the people who don't. Let's get some more information on that front. Because we can go to youtube and get endless videos of cars/trucks driving perfectly fine. We know what that looks like already. Know what I mean?

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Actually thereā€™s not that many videos of owners who report bad or dangerous steering. Obviously youā€™d have to have someone record you as it seems youā€™ll need to have both hands on the wheel, focused mentally, and hope for no wind or semis passing you. If you can get something recorded please post here...I think it would be worthwhile for everyone to see.

Just stay safe...from what youā€™re describing Iā€™m pretty sure you have a good case to take to your dealer and request a fix either through a new steering box or adjustment to your current one.

Deleted member 18624

I took my Jeep in for the cruise control recall this weekend and told the service adviser about the steering issue..again.

They had someone drive at and said "it's fine"

Now I am having a new issue after the update...all the lights on my dash are illuminating weird and my speedometer is all messed up. Honestly afraid to take it back to the dealer.

hubble

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2018 F150 4X4
Took mine in to the dealer this weekend about the steering. I left it there and returned when they called. The tech said it was normal and it was caused by the big tires, said all vehicles with big tires drive like that. I knew I was wasting my time taking it there, but now its in the system and on record.

Holymoly1963

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3, Wrangler JL Sport with bad steering
Took mine in to the dealer this weekend about the steering. I left it there and returned when they called. The tech said it was normal and it was caused by the big tires, said all vehicles with big tires drive like that. I knew I was wasting my time taking it there, but now its in the system and on record.
BTW, I have tiny tires..std Michelins and I have a steering problem. The dealers must have a script they use to respond to customers who have any steering concerns. Answer 1: they all do that. Answer 2: It's because your tires are too big. Answer 3: People don't modify Jeeps. Answer 4: we can always diagnose the problem by driving your Jeep for a mile or so. Answer 5: we know more about cars than you do. Answer 6: (generally at British dealers) Piss off. etc. etc.

Sponsored

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I've been waiting for the backordered steering box for my dealership to install but still not here. Dealer had my jeep for 2 weeks while I was on vacation. Talked to them today and they are going to adjust the screw on the steering box instead of replacing the box after they, themselves, checked out the forums after I directed them to it. I get it back tomorrow and will report back.

Iaacosta86

First Name
Ignacio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I hope my JLUR doesn't stay at the dealer that long. I had power steering hose leak and they told me the hoses were on backorder and they have had it for a week already. It sucks spending so much money and not being able to enjoy it. Its the second time the jeeps been to the dealer already and it barely has 1600 miles

DDwranglerJL2

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S 2 door
I've been waiting for the backordered steering box for my dealership to install but still not here. Dealer had my jeep for 2 weeks while I was on vacation. Talked to them today and they are going to adjust the screw on the steering box instead of replacing the box after they, themselves, checked out the forums after I directed them to it. I get it back tomorrow and will report back.
Wow...this is the first Iā€™ve seen where a dealer will adjust the steering box screw. Yes, please report back to us after youā€™ve had a chance to check the steering on the highway. Iā€™m getting desperate to find a legitimate fix. Good luck!

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Wow...this is the first Iā€™ve seen where a dealer will adjust the steering box screw. Yes, please report back to us after youā€™ve had a chance to check the steering on the highway. Iā€™m getting desperate to find a legitimate fix. Good luck!
I got it back. However, I'm not sure if they changed out the steering box or not. Originally, they were going to change the box then I was told they were just going to adjust the screw. When I picked it up today, the paperwork appeared to say they changed the box. I asked the service advisor and he didn't seem to know for sure but said he thought they must have changed the box AND ADJUSTED the screw. I'll call him back tomorrow to see if he will ask the guy who worked on it.
Now, the results... It seems better, however, I didn't have time to get out on the highway where it would be very noticeable. I'll be able to take it out tomorrow around lunch time to test it. I didn't want to leave anyone hanging so I'm reporting my partial results. I'll post back again tomorrow after the test.
Sponsored