calvinf1

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU North Edition
Hey Everyone,
I wanted to provide an update on my Jeep (2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara). I recently had the newer cast iron steering box(68507569AB) installed, with the new programming and new alignment. I already had the new track bar and dampener installed. Believe it or not, the previous AE version of the steering box was more accurate and had less wondering/darting than the newer black box. I was really hoping the new box and software flash would get by above 90% but it is worse now. I guess the last option are the longer control arms on the stock jeep.

Moral of the story - If your steering is ok, not perfect, but ok, it may be better to stick with your current box setup. There is alot of variation in the boxes being installed, and sometimes newer isn't better. Good luck to everyone who is having this issue.
The variation comes from the gear spacing in the steering box. Mopar does not do a good job adjusting the torque of the gears.... notice the looseness is only in the center. Outside of that range everything is solid and direct. The looseness exaggerated the crown of the road (which will help you track straight) and the jeep ends up wandering from side to side on flat surface.

For example. If your driving a normal car on a highway on the right lane, the car will naturally drift to the right (since the road slopes to the right). You typically and hold the wheel straight to the center and your car will track straight. But if you let go of the steering wheel, you will notice both the wheel and car will move to the right.... this is because the steering is tight. On the jeep, since it is loose, the steering wheel can be in the middle. This is the looseness from the gears.

On the jeep, you have to over compensate a bit more to keep the jeep centered but at the same time you can prevent it from drifting to side to side. The jeep will track straight since the crown is pulling to the right and you're manually steering to the left to compensate for the looseness. In this situation, the jeep doesn't wander.

However, if you are driving on a flat road with no crown to the left or right, then it is going to wander left and right as you steer left and right to compensate for the loose gears... even if you keep the wheel center, it can still drift left or right randomly.

The most impactful change on my Jeep was adjusting the steering gear torque and adding longer LCAs. It's not perfect but much better than before. And yes I have done the TSB already.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Skeethree

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe, 2022 Rav4 Prime, 2020 Highlande Hybrid
Occupation
Architect
The variation comes from the gear spacing in the steering box. Mopar does not do a good job adjusting the torque of the gears.... notice the looseness is only in the center. Outside of that range everything is solid and direct. The looseness exaggerated the crown of the road (which will help you track straight) and the jeep ends up wandering from side to side on flat surface.

For example. If your driving a normal car on a highway on the right lane, the car will naturally drift to the right (since the road slopes to the right). You typically and hold the wheel straight to the center and your car will track straight. But if you let go of the steering wheel, you will notice both the wheel and car will move to the right.... this is because the steering is tight. On the jeep, since it is loose, the steering wheel can be in the middle. This is the looseness from the gear

On the jeep, you have to over compensate a bit more to keep the jeep centered but at the same time you can prevent it from drifting to side to side. The jeep will track straight since the crown is pulling to the right and you're manually steering to the left to compensate for the looseness. In this situation, the jeep doesn't wander.

However, if you are driving on a flat road with no crown to the left or right, then it is going to wander left and right as you steer left and right to compensate for the loose gears... even if you keep the wheel center, it can still drift left or right randomly.

The most impactful change on my Jeep was adjusting the steering gear torque and adding longer LCAs. It's not perfect but much better than before. And yes I have done the TSB already.
Traded my 2018 JLUR for a 2021 4xeR, steering problem solved.

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Well i guess i'll join the steering issue club. My 2018 was great but this new 2021 wanders and seems like i'm constantly correcting the wheel from side to side. Hopefully my dealer can get it worked out.

AG’s ‘ 21 Jeep Wrangler

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Well i guess i'll join the steering issue club. My 2018 was great but this new 2021 wanders and seems like i'm constantly correcting the wheel from side to side. Hopefully my dealer can get it worked out.
Took my 2021 JL for the steering issue last week to my dealer, got the “all Jeep’s drive like that” typical dealer answer. Sorry, but I had a 2014 JK and it was not this bad...

Sponsored

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
What happens to the TPM (?) sensors when you bring the pressure down to 32? Do you get a light on the dash?
Just went thru the psi thing myself. 32 psi (cold ) Should not sound the alarms. From what I understand anything at 30 & under will bring up a alert. I set at 30 then a few days later the alert came up. So tonight I ran down to the station and Aired up back to factory recommended 37 psi to remove the alert. In the morning once the tires are cold, Will bring mine down too 32.

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Took my 2021 JL for the steering issue last week to my dealer, got the “all Jeep’s drive like that” typical dealer answer. Sorry, but I had a 2014 JK and it was not this bad...
My 2018 Sahara drove perfect. This one should drive the same. My dealer is not about excuses, i think they will do whatever they can to make it right. The owner is also a life long friend and our next door neighbor.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hey Everyone,
I wanted to provide an update on my Jeep (2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara). I recently had the newer cast iron steering box(68507569AB) installed, with the new programming and new alignment. I already had the new track bar and dampener installed. Believe it or not, the previous AE version of the steering box was more accurate and had less wondering/darting than the newer black box. I was really hoping the new box and software flash would get by above 90% but it is worse now. I guess the last option are the longer control arms on the stock jeep.

Moral of the story - If your steering is ok, not perfect, but ok, it may be better to stick with your current box setup. There is alot of variation in the boxes being installed, and sometimes newer isn't better. Good luck to everyone who is having this issue.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is not a new saying. Just saying.

catabler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I have had 2 dealership appointments and the most they have done is an alignment on my ‘21 JLURD which has all the most current parts.
Caster is 5.5/5.6
I just want to get rid of the excess steering play!

Last edited:

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
2021 JLURD and TSB repair parts??
I am just curious because of what may or may not be the correct parts, Would you possibly list the TSB # I would like to know if my 392 was built using the latest past numbers. My 392 came with the incorrect inside tailgate placard showing a 2 door and no mention of the 392 or higher water fording.

I know it really doesn't bother most people but if your a prior owner with a bad Jeep taste in your mouth from past dealings with Jeep problems YOU would make it an issue especially at the price of $80k Jeep

Could it possibly be that they did not have the correct ones and just put what they had on, it would put that Jeep on hold and I don't think Jeep wants their inventory in their parking lot over a simple placard. Maybe the customer won't notice, especially a first time owner being told "Its a Jeep thing"
and if it is a new model what do you have to compare it? Unless its not obvious or unseen

Maybe Jeep installed some outdated parts just to keep the assembly line going ????

Some owners would never know the difference unless they had a Jeep JK or JL that did steer correctly, and going from their prior ride which may have steered perfectly the will hate the JL steering in a minute or two

I explain the steering of a Jeep JL is like being on ice skater that have a high spot in the center to help make it feel like a rocker. Constant ankle adjustment needed just like driving JL with constant steering input needed

Last edited:

Sponsored

catabler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
2021 JLURD and TSB parts??
I am just curious because of what may or may not be call correct parts, Would you possibly list the TSB #
I explain the steering of a Jeep JL is like being on ice skater that have a high spot in the center to help make it feel like a rocker. Constant steering input needed.
I could have worded that better. The ‘21s are not covered by the TSB but it has all the most up to date parts for a vehicle that was built in April of 21.

Ronbo Ranger

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Wrangler Rubicon
Jeep Wrangler JL Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts 1628207478485

One of the first things I did to modify my 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon was install this synergy stabilizer bracket. That ended the wondering and the play in the steering wheel was reduced tramenously.

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
1628207478485.png

One of the first things I did to modify my 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon was install this synergy stabilizer bracket. That ended the wondering and the play in the steering wheel was reduced tramenously.
I've got the Steersmarts version of this sitting in a box in my garage. I will put it on soon and update this post. My jeeps tracks fine but is loosey goosey on the highway. I do have some deadzone in the steering but I can 2 finger it on the hwy with no issues. My wife drives it and hates it which is the reason I am hesitant to make it better 👹

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...ejWb_HKjj0NRsBiLJr8-5id37w_yKHixoCHqsQAvD_BwE

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I could have worded that better. The ‘21s are not covered by the TSB but it has all the most up to date parts for a vehicle that was built in April of 21.
Now I have to go check my build date..........hey there have been site members that have seen a new jeep at the dealer with 3 painted flares and 1 black. Removable roof panels of mismatched colors, Having a spare tire that does not match the other 4 . How can you not see this as a assembly line worker or better yet, Quality control, they can determine if a weld is bad (Thank God) but they can't see a jeep with mismatched painted parts

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I've got the Steersmarts version of this sitting in a box in my garage. I will put it on soon and update this post. My jeeps tracks fine but is loosey goosey on the highway. I do have some deadzone in the steering but I can 2 finger it on the hwy with no issues. My wife drives it and hates it which is the reason I am hesitant to make it better 👹

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...ejWb_HKjj0NRsBiLJr8-5id37w_yKHixoCHqsQAvD_BwE
You hit the nail right on the head with that one
Sponsored