Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Haven’t driven the Bronco but they looked so much better in pics than on the road so I still want a Jeep. I think I’ll end up buying an old one since I have zero expectations with it and will still be able to enjoy the off road aspect and rowing through the gears.
I think the Jeep LOOKS slightly better but the quality of the Bronco and the road manners will most likely be enough for me to give up looks and capability. Fit and finish it 1000 times better than the Jeep, the interior is night and day as far as quality and comfort. Jeep is going to have to do more than put a lift on a 392 to compete. Hopefully they see the writing on the wall and get their game together.
Sponsored

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
I have a 2020 JLUR which I had the steering box replaced per the TSB. I’m not sure if it’s my imagination or not but after almost a year, it seems to be feeling loose again. I’m considering having the Synergy Manufacturing track bar and sector shaft brace installed. Has anyone had this done and was there a noticeable improvement??

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have a 2020 JLUR which I had the steering box replaced per the TSB. I’m not sure if it’s my imagination or not but after almost a year, it seems to be feeling loose again. I’m considering having the Synergy Manufacturing track bar and sector shaft brace installed. Has anyone had this done and was there a noticeable improvement??
I believe that modifying a Jeep to make it stronger and more capable is wonderful!

However, I believe that the manufacturer has a responsibility to design and manufacture a vehicle so that it's safe.

Modifying a stock vehicle to make it safe? Oh my.

Sponsored

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I believe that modifying a Jeep to make it stronger and more capable is wonderful!

However, I believe that the manufacturer has a responsibility to design and manufacture a vehicle so that it's safe.

Modifying a stock vehicle to make it safe? Oh my.
Unfortunately Jeep doesn’t grasp that concept, it will be very interesting over the next few years to see how they scramble to deal with the Bronco. From someone that has been in the collision industry for 30+ years I have seen many new platforms come out, I couldn’t tell you the last time I seen one that the build quality and the engineering has impressed me as much as the new Bronco. I actually just had a opportunity to see the body repair manual from Ford, they thought things through on this one. Jeep will need to really step it up to keep up.

One major thing to consider is the cost to repair these things after a collision, this directly relates to the cost to insure these things. I will be willing to bet the Bronco will cost 1/2 of what the Jeep does per year.

xylodan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
453 pages is sure a lot to skim through.
Is there a quick way to determine if my vehicle might be affected?
I've had two JK's and a JL before my current JL Diesel and I have to admit the steering on this one is considerably more vague than any of my previous Jeeps. Running 36 PSI on stock tires.

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
Just took my 2018 Jeep to the dealer today and they are ordering the updated steering box. The replacement will be covered by warranty. I’ll update this thread once the new steering box is installed.
I had contacted @JeepCares prior to the dealer appointment, and the dealership noted that JeepCares had a note in the system regarding my steering.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
453 pages is sure a lot to skim through.
Is there a quick way to determine if my vehicle might be affected?
I've had two JK's and a JL before my current JL Diesel and I have to admit the steering on this one is considerably more vague than any of my previous Jeeps. Running 36 PSI on stock tires.
You're lucky! I've been here since the beginning.

Suggestions--
* tire pressure (because new Jeeps are often overinflated from the beginning.)
* check your model/date of manufacture. I bet the TSB doesn't apply to your Jeep.

* If you're inclined--look under your jeep. Often fittings aren't torqued right.

* check your power steering reservoir--is there enough fluid there?

Took me a long while to figure out what was wrong with Dealer's service. It was their test drive. I couldn't go with them. Rules.
They went slow on smooth roads.

My problem was at highway speed.

good luck

Sponsored

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Just took my 2018 Jeep to the dealer today and they are ordering the updated steering box. The replacement will be covered by warranty. I’ll update this thread once the new steering box is installed.
I had contacted @JeepCares prior to the dealer appointment, and the dealership noted that JeepCares had a note in the system regarding my steering.
@JeepCares is the only reason our Wrangler got fixed. They do care.

They sent me to FCA Canada Customer Service. The rep there was extremely helpful. The box got changed at another recommended dealer. They were wonderful to deal with. The original dealer? Oh my. I don't know how they stay in business. Fatal flaw? They don't ask the customer HOW THE PROBLEM OCCURS. It was at highway speed. Dash cam showed they took a slow speed 6 minute drive on the smoothest roads around town. They needed to drive at highway speed.

xylodan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
You're lucky! I've been here since the beginning.

Suggestions--
* tire pressure (because new Jeeps are often overinflated from the beginning.)
* check your model/date of manufacture. I bet the TSB doesn't apply to your Jeep.

* If you're inclined--look under your jeep. Often fittings aren't torqued right.

* check your power steering reservoir--is there enough fluid there?

Took me a long while to figure out what was wrong with Dealer's service. It was their test drive. I couldn't go with them. Rules.
They went slow on smooth roads.

My problem was at highway speed.

good luck
Thanks for the insight.
My situation is pretty minor compared to what I've read from others and I think it's in the realm of benefitting from the slightly longer LCA to adjust caster to be a little more highway friendly.

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
Thanks for the insight.
My situation is pretty minor compared to what I've read from others and I think it's in the realm of benefitting from the slightly longer LCA to adjust caster to be a little more highway friendly.
i thought the same thing too until i had my front end aligned and my caster was 6.5°. see if you can convince the dealer to align it and see what your actual caster is.

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Holy !!! 454 pages!..

Question... does your Wrangler have to be under warranty to claim replacement of the steering box ?? ... my JLU is from 2018 so I don't think is still under warranty.. Thanks!
Sponsored