Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
... I could not agree with you more on this issue, There have been some that have unfortunately had to get legal action involved...
I was forced to hire a lawyer, just to get this box change. It's outrageous, but now that the part has been changed, I don't regret having used all the means at my disposal to obtain a repair that I was entitled to and on a clearly dangerous problem (without exaggerating, lives are at stake in case of an accident on a car that does not have a precise trajectory)
Sponsored

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
After months of waiting for the parts to be available and getting Jeep cares involved to contact the dealer to set an appointment, my steering box has finally been changed. Finally!!! it steers freakin great now. I do have all the steersmarts steering linkages and a Falcon Nexus fast adjust SS but with the new black box, it feels a lot more direct without any play on center. Now my wife and daughter can drive it without fear.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
I was forced to hire a lawyer, just to get this box change. It's outrageous, but now that the part has been changed, I don't regret having used all the means at my disposal to obtain a repair that I was entitled to and on a clearly dangerous problem (without exaggerating, lives are at stake in case of an accident on a car that does not have a precise trajectory)
It really is a shome on FCA or Stellantis for making you and so many others have to jump through hoops just to get a TSB Repair to your Jeep, especially one that is regarding the steering. How can they take it so lightly? does someone need to die in order for this to finally be resolved? I have been making that same comment since taking delivery of my 2018 Rulicon JLUR in June of 2019.
The help that I had received from Jeep Cares was non existent, they actually chose to close my claim before my Jeep was even touched my the incompetent mechanic and the service manager at Flemington Jeep. How can you as a Service supervisor think that it is fine to have all 4 ball joint nuts loose and not even making contact with the knuckle? Yes there was a cotter pin in the castle nut but all were at least 2 complete revolutions from making contact and when this was pointed out I was told it is no an issue. I had to make a appointment to get all of the front suspension components torqued to factory specifications. I did remove the drivers side wheel and I had set the lower ball joint to the correct setting and replaced the cotter pin with one of my own. and put the wheel back on along with the locking lug nut. I had also used a silver marker on most of the hardware, nuts and bolts. Well after 3 days I was told that everything was done and ready to go, before even going to see the service manager I looked under my jeep to see everything was the same as before I brought it in, this time the only ball joint that was set to the specified torque was the one I had done and all of the marked nuts and bolts had not been moved at all. I asked the service manager how everything went and I was told that every nut and bolt was ste according to the TSB that was available. When I asked him to come out with me he was very reluctant to do so and after I had placed down a moving blanket for him to lie down on I asked why the ball Joint castle nuts were all still loose except for the one? I could not get straight answer from him other to make another appointment to see what can be done but he swore that the castle nuts were tightened and torqued, I asked him how this is possible since all of the cotter pins that I changed were still on them and how could he possibly torque the lower ball joint nuts without removing the wheel, I was told the wheel was removed and I asked how since it has wheel locks on it and no one ever asked where the key was for the locks plus all of the markings I had made were in the same position. I took my Jeep home and I torqued every single nut and bolt unser there and everything was loose including the pitman arm nut. I sent all of this information to Jeep Cares and was told that they had closed my case since the service manager said all of the work was completed. So Jeep Cares really does not care and why they done is beyond me, especially since it involves the steering and is down right dangerous. I have lost all faith in Flemington Jeep as they just blow things off that are more than important they involve ones life and the lives of others on the road. Jeep Cares response was make another appointment and sorry for the inconvenience. yes what a inconvenience to have a brand new Jeep Rubicon that had less than 1000 miles on it to have severe steering issues. My heart goes out to the others who are fighting to get this resolved. I ended up switching to a Ford Raptor which is now getting traded in for a 392 Rubicon, I can only hope that this new Jeep does not have any of the prior steering issues but at least I know where to start looking if it does. It seems like the price of a Jeep and it`s options keep going up but the quality control and after care isnt keeping up the pace. For those of you who have a 4XE do not accept its a Jeep thing for a answer to any of your questions, especially with the technology that s being tried for the first time on a Jeep

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
stopped by the dealer yesterday, mine goes in wed. to have the new box put in. it would be fantastic if i get one of the tighter ones so im not sawing the wheel back n forth all the time lol

DaddyEngineer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
After getting approved in October, my dealership is finally saying they have a new box for me. I go in on the 14th. Fingers crossed.

Scott

Sponsored

new2rubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon

I've been waiting months for two different dealers to contact me and you take it in for an oil change and they knock it out???

@JeepCares I'm going to need you to contact some dealer in the Denver area to assist me. I'm getting nowhere with the ones I've been to. I actually have a fulltime job and fighting dealers over this TSB is becoming like a second one.
[/QUOTE]
I know its crazy , we were totally prepared to get the "couldn't find anything wrong" or "thats the way Jeeps drive" but we were so shocked when he handed me the paperwork so i immediately popped the hood to confirm and when i seen the new box I was like "Thank you very much" and we left like we got away with something LOL

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

I've been waiting months for two different dealers to contact me and you take it in for an oil change and they knock it out???

@JeepCares I'm going to need you to contact some dealer in the Denver area to assist me. I'm getting nowhere with the ones I've been to. I actually have a fulltime job and fighting dealers over this TSB is becoming like a second one.
[/QUOTE]
I could not agree with you more on this issue, There have been some that have unfortunately had to get legal action involved.

100% correct on you not having to spend a dime with this steering issue, I went through 2 steering boxes and it still wasn't fixed because this TSB did not exist when I had my Jeep, but they had it for weeks and did software updates too but nothing helped and to top it off every time I picked my Jeep up there was something else broken or damaged and I had to fight to get some of these issues resolved, and it got to the point of just give me the part and I will do it myself but that was not an option. Ask the people on this forum that had to use legal action to get the TSB done what exactly did they need to do with their lawyer? Maybe a hard written letter from the lawer to the service manager or something like that to the owner of the dealership? We have the Lemon Law here in NJ but it is a timely process but it does work
Hello, Rodeoflyer and richk225. We would be happy to assist you both in getting the steering repaired. Please send our team a private message to get started.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Kate! I'll PM you tomorrow with my information, a short video to demonstrate how bad mine is, and my VIN info etc.

Ericshere03

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 6 Speed
UPDATE: Not good :-(
So, the new 2020 was delivered to my dealer today. I bolted down there with much excitement...we got in..bee lined to freeway....and it started to pull. I made sure the tire pressure was set to 34 all around as it is on my current one so I could do a like for like test.
What I saw was when I took my hands off the steering wheel, you can watch the wheel turn slightly clockwise to the right as the Jeep starts to slowly creep into the right hand lane...didn't matter from what lane... it is the EXACT same problem I have with my current one. You can feel the wheel resisting staying straight at all times.
To test my theory and prove it's NOT a "Jeep thing"...I had them take out three other Jeeps with me on a test drive..the first up was a Sport S...took my hands off steering wheel...tracked straight as an arrow. Took another Jeep out...this time a Gladiator...straight as an arrow. Took out a 3rd Jeep..this time a Sahara...straight as an arrow.
Morale of the story - The Jeep Rubicon Unlimited's have an inherent problem with steer tracking. PERIOD!!
So, the dealer offered to order another new build in hopes I become one of the luck other 50%-70% that don't have this problem, or buyback the one I have...or live with it and get a free lift kit (and possibly new wheel package, too!) on my current one.
They are trying so hard and I appreciate it so much, but alas I think I am going to get my money back and buy either a new Tacoma TRD Pro, or by a luxury car and get an older 2014/2015 Jeep and not care about "luxuries" in a Jeep.
Try the Tires, i have had BFG KO2 pull to one side, they said it was a defect in the steel belts, Discount tire replaced all 4 and it stopped pulling... The wheel pulling to a side means some sort of external force, also be sure to use the stock steerig stabilizer, some are gas charged and exert a small force in a single direction.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Updated Power Steering Reset Fuse Technique

Some have reported this fixed a few different steering issues such as the dead spot, loose steering, pulling, etc.

Note: It might not be a good idea to try this procedure if you have already made other modifications to tighten steering like adjusting the steering box lash screw. Keep in mind that this same reset occurs if you have a dead battery or replaced the battery so if you have made other steering tightening modifications you may have over tight steering.

1. With the JL off, remove F34 power steering fuse.

2. Start the JL, notice no power steering by turning the steering wheel and dash message error appears. Do not drive it.

3. Turn off engine. Open driver door and close it so it completely turns off all dash lights. Let it sit for at least 5 minutes so all electronics fully discharge.

4. Reinsert F34 fuse, start engine, immediately turn steering wheel full left, full right, turn to center, turn engine off. Restart and take for a test drive.

There are several reports of success. Some say no difference. If the steering box is bad, loose steering or suspension components, then this reset won’t make a difference. Check out this success story - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/post-1187994
I would like to add success with this fuse reset trick. Did it about 6 months ago.
I had someone nearly side swipe me yesterday and I drove over the curb to avoid them. Now it feels like before, I'm going to try another reset today.

Sponsored

GoGators353

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I really loved my Jeep but hated the steering, it absolutely sucked to drive it down the highway. @JeepCares was kind enough to message me explaining my local dealer would reset it but after going to three dealers, showing them the message, and all of them telling me it only effected jeeps up North, I gave up. I drove the Wrangler 15k miles in three years and got rid of it.

it’s amazing how nice it is to drive a car down the road now and not have to constantly fight to keep it in my lane plus the Audi dealer is so so much nicer than Jeep, they were terrible, which sucks.

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
I really loved my Jeep but hated the steering, it absolutely sucked to drive it down the highway. @JeepCares was kind enough to message me explaining my local dealer would reset it but after going to three dealers, showing them the message, and all of them telling me it only effected jeeps up North, I gave up. I drove the Wrangler 15k miles in three years and got rid of it.

it’s amazing how nice it is to drive a car down the road now and not have to constantly fight to keep it in my lane plus the Audi dealer is so so much nicer than Jeep, they were terrible, which sucks.
Simply because "Audi" is not in the hands of "FCA" ... a legend (in Europe) blames "Italian manufacturing" in general, Jeep having been bought by FCA, so it is the managers who work "in the Italian way" and the consequences are what we see now.

At the time when "Jeep / Chrysler" were in the hands of "Mercedes", it was there too, as the legend, but with seriousness and respect for the customer.

I "tested" Jeep in the "Mercedes" era and now Jeep in the "FCA" era ... a complete disaster and I fear for the future.

Jeep is a legend since 1944 and that has freed a whole container from a disaster. It is very easy to break a legend, thank you FCA!

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I seriously hope that some of the engineers actually drive one of the new Broncos and get to experience just how bad Ford is going to hand Jeep their ass. I drove one last week and it was absolutely crazy how well it drove and how quiet it was. I get the Jeep is more capable but for 80% of the Jeep owners they will never use 1/2 the capabilities of the Jeep yet alone the Bronco. I for one will be incredibly hard pressed to NOT sell my Jeep and buy the Bronco once they are more available.

GoGators353

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Haven’t driven the Bronco but they looked so much better in pics than on the road so I still want a Jeep. I think I’ll end up buying an old one since I have zero expectations with it and will still be able to enjoy the off road aspect and rowing through the gears.
Sponsored