First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 JK Sahara builds , JL Rubicon, 95 XJ build
Yup, RC 2.5" lift.

The steering was just as bad stock.
No you've lifted your jeep 2.5 inches and likely didn't correct caster . Which will make your steering feel flighty especially in the wind. Stop mis-leading people and making people think the steering is backed out when in reality its your suspension geometry is altered and that is magnified by the tires.
Sponsored

Merlin28

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup, RC 2.5" lift.

The steering was just as bad stock.
OK , just looked at your kit and sure enough, 2.5 inches of block lift, with no change in lower control arms. if you want better tracking get lower control arms and throw about a 1/2 " of length into them I haven't gotten TDP on JL yet but yr probs going to want about 5.3-5.4 degrees on caster. That will get you back to stock tracking feel at highway speed. Also, just be aware that these cheap aftermarket lifts are what they are. A LOT of time was put into the stock rubicon suspension. I probably won't be lifting mine for a long time. These Gen 1 kits are nice and all and will add hight to clear tires but newbies don't understand that every nut and bolt in a suspension system works together. If you just go swapping out components with blocks and sock extensions etc, don't be surprised if trim characteristics are out of wack.

Specter491

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wranlger JL Sport S
OK , just looked at your kit and sure enough, 2.5 inches of block lift, with no change in lower control arms. if you want better tracking get lower control arms and throw about a 1/2 " of length into them I haven't gotten TDP on JL yet but yr probs going to want about 5.3-5.4 degrees on caster. That will get you back to stock tracking feel at highway speed. Also, just be aware that these cheap aftermarket lifts are what they are. A LOT of time was put into the stock rubicon suspension. I probably won't be lifting mine for a long time. These Gen 1 kits are nice and all and will add hight to clear tires but newbies don't understand that every nut and bolt in a suspension system works together. If you just go swapping out components with blocks and sock extensions etc, don't be surprised if trim characteristics are out of wack.
So do you recommend the Mopar suspension lift then? Since it looks like it completely replaces everything

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
My Rubicon drives fine. Don’t know the hell everyone is talking about. It’s like they’ve never driven a Wrangler before.

Just kidding...get used to it. It’ll take some time, but then things will feel normal. Then...you’ll jump back in your car or SUV and holly crap the steering is tight...to the point you’ll want to drive your Wrangler more.

Merlin28

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So do you recommend the Mopar suspension lift then? Since it looks like it completely replaces everything
I wouldn’t rush into
Any of the current lift options. They’re half baked . Wait until terra Comes out with something and a couple
More companies the lower control arms on the mopar have very old fashioned joints that don’t flex at all.

Sponsored

jman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A van and a boring car
My Rubicon drives fine. Don’t know the hell everyone is talking about. It’s like they’ve never driven a Wrangler before.

Just kidding...get used to it. It’ll take some time, but then things will feel normal. Then...you’ll jump back in your car or SUV and holly crap the steering is tight...to the point you’ll want to drive your Wrangler more.

I admit I have a hard time taking people seriously when they say their Jeep handles poorly but I also don't like to dismiss it out of hand.

Guess I'll have to wait to get my own before I can judge.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Any idea, what PSI your tires were showing or you had it set to ? Also, I’m assuming this experience is all with a stock tires and wheels.
Sure, no prob - overall I have a 4-door Sport with hardtop at the moment. I'm embarrassed to say that my PSI is actually running high right now, and I keep meaning to let some air out but haven't had the chance. Was reading around 46 PSI during most of the trip. Stock wheels, yes, but I have the Goodyear DuraTrac all-terrains, not the all-season stock tires.

cjsam2004

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Sure, no prob - overall I have a 4-door Sport with hardtop at the moment. I'm embarrassed to say that my PSI is actually running high right now, and I keep meaning to let some air out but haven't had the chance. Was reading around 46 PSI during most of the trip. Stock wheels, yes, but I have the Goodyear DuraTrac all-terrains, not the all-season stock tires.
Thanks for sharing. I think most of us who are experiencing drift are Rubi owners. Also, I agree many including me are first time owners and I’m slowly coming to terms that this is how Jeep rides and I’m getting used to it.

cjsam2004

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
maybe you should have bought a toyota FJ then smh
I’m not disappointed in my selection, the biggest issue I seem to have is the tire pressure PSI which I’ve to constantly play around to make the ride smoother. Some more than the other days especially on a windy day, rest is all the “Jeep thing” I get it (i.e front axle, larger tires, and boxy design etc)

Sponsored

Oilslick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
All BS aside, this steering gear has a weird feel. Could be stiff ball joints too or any number of things . I can get used to it, I noticed it immediately on my first test drive. I have 23 years experience as a mechanic if that means anything to you people.
I bought a Sahara and I can't stop driving it. To me it's a man's convertible, no place to off road much near me, have a utv for that anyway. I think it has an issue, but I am not going to chase it. It'll get solved if it worsens. If not I'll never have reason to pursue! Happy jeepin,great forum!

jman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A van and a boring car
I’m not disappointed in my selection, the biggest issue I seem to have is the tire pressure PSI which I’ve to constantly play around to make the ride smoother. Some more than the other days especially on a windy day, rest is all the “Jeep thing” I get it (i.e front axle, larger tires, and boxy design etc)
Don't take comments like his seriously. He hasn't driven your Jeep so what does he know really?

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
For the ones who are complaining about wandering, record a short video and upload it here so we can see what your talking about.

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
I installed the Rancho on Sat and drove it this morning. I agree it is better, now I don't know if I'm reading into it to much but I think i'm feeling the road a little more in front, a tiny tiny vibration from what seems like the tires. Again, i'm not sure if I'm just reading into it because I changed. I might have to put back the original to clear my mind.

Merlin28

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I installed the Rancho on Sat and drove it this morning. I agree it is better, now I don't know if I'm reading into it to much but I think i'm feeling the road a little more in front, a tiny tiny vibration from what seems like the tires. Again, i'm not sure if I'm just reading into it because I changed. I might have to put back the original to clear my mind.
What are you comparing it to?
Sponsored