Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I do not have a copy of the TSB. I am just going by what is printed out on my copy of the repair order.
Yes it is interesting that the last number is 21 vs 20. But as you stated it could very well be a typo.
The -21 is correct number for the latest TSB.
Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Do you have a copy of this TSB? Or a link to it? I would like to see the latest change/revision. Thanks!
Nope. Only a screenshot of the steering box part numbers and those numbers didn't change.

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
100'000 Thanks, with your putting here of this document, I finally have a hope that my car will (maybe) be repaired.

Because in the first two bulletins it was well mentioned "EMEA" (the region concerning my Jeep) then in the following ones nothing more (as if the whole world except you had no more problem)

Now, with this new newsletter, my lawyer will have more opportunity to do his job to advance my problem.

Sponsored

THEREED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I asked my dealer to run a report to show if my software was updated with my new steel steering gear. I have a report from DealerConnect and it appears to show a sales code of 70FA, not 70F. Anyone know if there is a difference?

I don’t love my steering feel... and went back to my dealer to verify software change

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
So, I have already upgraded to a Fox ATS and steer smarts front end components and progressively my steering got worse after feeling what I though was pretty good steering. I just got the new steering TSB upgrade and wow, steering is very tight, SIGNIFICANTLY better!! I didn’t tell my wife it would be in the shop (less than a day) and she drove it and came back and ask if I did something else to the Jeep. LOL. This time I could tell her it didn’t cost anything.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I asked my dealer to run a report to show if my software was updated with my new steel steering gear. I have a report from DealerConnect and it appears to show a sales code of 70FA, not 70F. Anyone know if there is a difference?

I don’t love my steering feel... and went back to my dealer to verify software change
I'm going to do the same thing.

The mechanic should be told the reason why it's necessary. If they're not, it would be easy to skip this step and go on to another job sooner....and the dealer might make more money.

(I had a 4WD Cadillac wagon. I needed a new rad. The book priced it too low. It was a much harder job than was priced, being 4WD. the dealer told me so, and said they would honour their quotation. Quality of work done was first rate.)

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
- Update to my previous post #2. Got my JL back from the dealer today and though I thought they reused the bolts from the old steering gear - I checked with the dealer and compared the old bolts with the new installed bolts and found that they indeed installed the correct bolts.

I think I will check and see if my tire size was reset by hooking up the flash cal, that may be an indicator that they applied the update.

Last edited:

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
- Update to my previous post. Got my JL back from the dealer today and they reused the bolts from the old steering gear - I can easily tell because two of the 4 bolts are protruding. Looks like I will have to take it back and have them use the proper bolts... Or swap them out myself. I wonder if they updated the software too (invoices says yes)? I think I will check and see if my tire size was reset by hooking up the flash cal, that may be an indicator that they applied the update.
Thank for the post, made me think of making sure I am calibrated for my 37’s. Does the repair put the calibration back to stock?

Sponsored

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Thank for the post, made me think of making sure I am calibrated for my 37’s. Does the repair put the calibration back to stock?
I just confirmed via my Flash Cal that the tire size was set back to stock after performing the software update called for in the TSB (mine went back to 32"). You will have to recalibrate for your 37's.

Murph-NH

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I am the second owner of a jlur with 46k miles. Has anyone been able to get this repair done for free or should I expect to have to pay to get the steering box done? If I should have to pay does anyone know roughly what the entire job costs?

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I am the second owner of a jlur with 46k miles. Has anyone been able to get this repair done for free or should I expect to have to pay to get the steering box done? If I should have to pay does anyone know roughly what the entire job costs?
I did have the recall number but deleted it. there is a new steering box replacement if you can prove you need it they'll order for you but I can't remember the number I had it and deleted it. I never needed it though

Tony V

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
I paid 350 online for steering box, 75 core charge, 312 install at dealer
Sponsored