Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

MTN1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep jl Sport S
Had the same problem with my 2019 JL finally received a call from jeep cares and was told they have a fix, they replaced the steering box, no more loose wandering on the jeep, now I enjoy driving it. there was a, OP code 1900019B? Now sure it that helps.
Sponsored

MDG

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
A few weeks ago I got a call from Jeep Cares as I had complained about the steering on my 2018 JLUR shortly a I bought it. Today I picked it up from the dealer after they replaced the steering gear. Mine now has the new steering gear, updated track bar and the mopar lift lower control arms. On the 20 mile drive home all these combined to make it drive like it should! OH, they also did an alignment as when test driving it they felt it pulled to the right.

Camber 6.3
Total Toe .16

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
A few weeks ago I got a call from Jeep Cares as I had complained about the steering on my 2018 JLUR shortly a I bought it. Today I picked it up from the dealer after they replaced the steering gear. Mine now has the new steering gear, updated track bar and the mopar lift lower control arms. On the 20 mile drive home all these combined to make it drive like it should! OH, they also did an alignment as when test driving it they felt it pulled to the right.

Camber 6.3
Total Toe .16
Did they pay for your Lower control arms?

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
By reading this link https://www.carcomplaints.com/Jeep/Wrangler/2018/tsbs/ put in another subject and that I did not know.

With horror I read the bulletins (first, then REV A,B,C ...) concerning the problem with the steering box.

Having myself asked for a resolution at my dealer on August 11th 2020, without any good answer to date from the official dealer, I read that the models having this problem were "ALL" (2008 to 2020, JL, JLU and JT and FOR THE WHOLE WORLD) now I read that a miracle happened at the end of the year 2020 and it's only the models in the USA that are concerned, what I understand ... is that Jeeps repair themselves according to the country where they are !!!????

Would you have any information, it would really help me a lot because I have started to use a lawyer. Mine has this problem, currently not recognized by the representative of my country, and I find very dangerous driving on fast roads.

Sponsored

Offroad

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 WK2
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is in right now for the TSB. It changes the steering box color to black, correct? I know I've seen it on here but my searches aren't turning it up. That and fluid level seem to be a couple quick things to check when I get it back.

Thanks!

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, black with also the 4 bolts in black

SpeedKills

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2-Door, 2008 Rubicon 2-Door,2014 Ram 1500, 2013 CRF250L
Yes, black with also the 4 bolts in black
Were the bolts silver before the TSB?
This is good info. I checked the bolts on my steering box (the new one) and there is no thread protruding from the box with a track bar brace installed. I'm not happy with how mine steers after the TSB. Mopar lift LCAs, Rusty's track bar brace, beefy JKS track bar, and the TSB didn't fix it. My 08 JK still steers better.

MDG

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Were the bolts silver before the TSB?
This is good info. I checked the bolts on my steering box (the new one) and there is no thread protruding from the box with a track bar brace installed. I'm not happy with how mine steers after the TSB. Mopar lift LCAs, Rusty's track bar brace, beefy JKS track bar, and the TSB didn't fix it. My 08 JK still steers better.
Yes, the original bolts are silver and the new ones are black.

Sponsored

Geezer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU
As many do, ourJLU also wandered alot and had a couple of inches of center dead zone.
We got the same stock FCA issued responce as everyone did from the dealerships.
It's a jeep thing, its a solid axle thing, it's the lift kit, its the big tires, it's all in your mind, These are not the droids your looking for.

A bit frustrated but we still liked and wanted to keep our Jeep. I have been reading through this forum watching and waiting for a steering fix that works.
The early replacement steering box's and other fixes seemed to be hit or miss fixes. It helped some and others not so much.

This latest steering box looks promising.
This past Wednesday I had the sevice dept check it out and had the latest steering box installed. I left it with them at 10am and picked it back up that afternoon.
Repair invoice states
Gear Powe 68507569-AA
Bolts 6513396-AA
Screw Hex 6506950-AA
Fluid Pow 680884585-AB
PCM reprogramed as per TSB 08-003-21.

I've driven it for a little over 100 miles with the new box.
The steering dosent feel any heavier than before. It tracks like a solid axle should. It doesnt wander like it did before and dead zone is gone. The steering wheel is just bit slower returning to center now but, I can live with that.
I had to tap off the power steering fluid once so far. It was at the max fill line when I picked it up and was at the min fill line when I got home 30 or so miles. I could not find any signs of leaks. it must still be purging traped air.
It's still cold weather here, I'll see how it feels once it's 90 degrees this summer.
All in all my wife and I are very happy with the steering now. Big improvement.

When we bought our new JLU back in May 2019. It was sitting on the lot with a 2" lift, 35" Nitto ridge grapplers, KMC wheels, aftermarket steering stabilizer and side rails. The dealer had already installed them prior to us finding it or purchasing it.
I was concerned they might balk at replacing the steering box because of the lift kit and 35 inch tires.
They didn't mention any of it they just went ahead and replaced the steerting box.

Last edited:

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
As many do, ourJLU also wandered alot and had a couple of inches of center dead zone.
We got the same stock FCA issued responce as everyone did from the dealerships.
It's a jeep thing, its a solid axle thing, it's the lift kit, its the big tires, it's all in your mind, These are not the droids your looking for.

A bit frustrated but we still liked and wanted to keep our Jeep. I have been reading thrugh this forum watching and waiting for a steering fix that works.
The early replacement steering box's and other fixes seemed to be hit or miss fixes. It helped some and others not so much.

This latest steering box looks promising.
This past Wednesday I had the sevice dept check it out and had the latest steering box installed. I left it with them at 10am and picked it back up that afternoon.
Repair invoice states
Gear Powe 68507569-AA
Bolts 6513396-AA
Screw Hex 6506950-AA
Fluid Pow 680884585-AB
PCM reprogramed as per TSB 08-003-21.

I've driven it for a little over 100 miles with the new box.
The steering dosent feel any heavier than before. It tracks like a solid axle should. It doesnt wander like it did before and dead zone is gone. The steering wheel is just bit slower returning to center now but, I can live with that.
I had to tap off the power steering fluid once so far. It was at the max fill line when I picked it up and was at the min fill line when I got home 30 or so miles. I could not find any signs of leaks. it must still be purging traped air.
It's still cold weather here, I'll see how it feels once it's 90 degrees this summer.
All in all my wife and I are very happy with the steering now. Big improvement.

When we bought our new JLU back in May 2019. It was sitting on the lot with a 2" lift, 35" Nitto ridge grapplers, KMC wheels, aftermarket steering stabilizer and side rails. The dealer had already installed them prior to us finding it or purchasing it.
I was concerned they might balk at replacing the steering box because of the lift kit and 35 inch tires.
They didn't mention any of it they just went ahead and replaced the steerting box.
Was the TSB "003-21" or "003-20"?

Geezer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU
I do not have a copy of the TSB. I am just going by what is printed out on my copy of the repair order.
Yes it is interesting that the last number is 21 vs 20. But as you stated it could very well be a typo.
Sponsored