Sponsored

Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

StuckinOH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My 2021 JLUR has the steering dead spot that makes it unsafe to drive at highway speeds. It's at least an inch of travel before the steering responds. Jeep Cares didn't help me. They basically said to call the NHTSA. Two dealerships said it's a Jeep thing. Confirmed I have the new steering box. I'm starting to regret my purchase.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
My 2021 JLUR has the steering dead spot that makes it unsafe to drive at highway speeds. It's at least an inch of travel before the steering responds. Jeep Cares didn't help me. They basically said to call the NHTSA. Two dealerships said it's a Jeep thing. Confirmed I have the new steering box. I'm starting to regret my purchase.
There are a ton of threads that address this issue. Longer front lower control arms will increase your caster. I have a 2021 Rubicon, it was flighty on the highway, and the LCAs solved it.

Your homework assignment: read this thread:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/big-driving-improvement-after-lca-swap.54439/

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
There are a ton of threads that address this issue. Longer front lower control arms will increase your caster. I have a 2021 Rubicon, it was flighty on the highway, and the LCAs solved it.

Your homework assignment: read this thread:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/big-driving-improvement-after-lca-swap.54439/
No, LCAs are not 100% the fix for everyone with a dead spot. I have the new steering box as well as longer LCAs and the dead spot is still there.

Sponsored

Priherd

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR
2020 JLUR, Finally got my steering gear replaced this morning. Huge improvement in the control of the steering. No more dead spot, no more wandering! Thanks to Noemi at @JeepCares for all your help!

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
No, LCAs are not 100% the fix for everyone with a dead spot. I have the new steering box as well as longer LCAs and the dead spot is still there.
Agreed, but it's proven effective for so many owners that I felt that he should be made aware of it. Someone did that for me, it worked, and I'm paying it forward. And...since he has a Rubicon, with the Sport/Sahara LCAs, his caster is bound to be too low.

StuckinOH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

Sponsored

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
I had my steering box replaced yesterday and was only able to drive about 15 miles. Today I had to top off the fluid level and put another 15 miles on the Jeep. My steering feels much better than with the old box and at this point I don't feel any dead spot. After I have put a couple hundred miles on it I will provide a final update. So far so good.

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
I had my steering box replaced yesterday and was only able to drive about 15 miles. Today I had to top off the fluid level and put another 15 miles on the Jeep. My steering feels much better than with the old box and at this point I don't feel any dead spot. After I have put a couple hundred miles on it I will provide a final update. So far so good.
The steering fluid was low when you got it back? Was there a change when you added the fluid per chance?

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
The steering fluid was low when you got it back? Was there a change when you added the fluid per chance?
The fluid was good when I left the dealership, it was low the next morning when I checked it. I topped it back off and have driven it, steering is much better than before and there was now difference once adding fluid, feels very solid now.

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
The fluid was good when I left the dealership, it was low the next morning when I checked it. I topped it back off and have driven it, steering is much better than before and there was now difference once adding fluid, feels very solid now.
wow...just checked and mine is low..will have to fill up

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Final update, I have now driven a couple hundred miles at up to 75 MPH. The steering is rock solid. I have no dead spots and no more drift. Fluid level has not dropped since I toped it off the day after the gear was changed. Very pleased with the new feel.
Sponsored