Sponsored

Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
For the past couple years many Jeep owners have been complaining about the dangerously loose steering. Those that spoke up about it got push back from many dealers and ridiculed by members on this forum... "It's a jeep thing", "you shouldn't be driving a jeep, ya sissy", "It's single axle, it ain't gonna drive like your freaking Tesla" and all kinds of other B.S.

It's nice to be validated. Three years later, Jeep finally decided to recognize there's a steering flaw in many of the JL's starting in 2018. So much so, that the parts for the fix are backordered for quite some time because LOTS of people are experiencing this issue. Now I believe there's a fix for the fix for the fix for the T.S.B.
Sponsored

JeepRider10

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
All, I just got a call that my new steering gearbox is at the dealership. I have an appointment for tomorrow. Hopefully on Friday I can post that the new gearbox fixed the problem. I see the part number I have on the jeep now is 56029780AD. I will keep you all posted.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
WOW! Good info...I wonder if the jeepCares people can enlighten us on this!
Wait...so even the new Black Steel Steering Boxes are having issues? even the ones that came with the 2021 models the same ones???? That would be something!
Well isnā€™t that lovely for all of us who have already had it replaced.
ya need to tag them tho w/ @JeepCares

i'd be interested to hear more about this since i had my AE gear replaced with the black gear and it's "better"... or maybe just different, but far from the praise that other people give it. maybe another poke to see if they have any information on how i should proceed /poke @JeepCares
We apologize for any confusion. The current TSB has the correct part number to service your vehicle, and the process to order the parts has been communicated to all dealers. If you are in need of assistance, please send our team a private message with your dealer and VIN.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

JeepRider10

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All, I just got a call that my new steering gearbox is at the dealership. I have an appointment for tomorrow. Hopefully on Friday I can post that the new gearbox fixed the problem. I see the part number I have on the jeep now is 56029780AD. I will keep you all posted.

JeepRider10

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All, I just got back from the dealer getting my gearbox replaced. I will have to drive it more tomorrow as I didnt get a chance to drive it much but so far minimal change if any. I did notice that the COLD air pressure in my tires was at 39 and had it at 32 so that might be the reason I felt some difference. I will lower the air pressure tomorrow prior to driving.

I could also use some help on where to look for the steering gearbox? I had read earlier in the thread where to find it and took a picture yesterday Dec 9 and then again today after picking up the vehicle and whatever I thought was the steering gearbox is the same part. See pictures enclosed. If I took pictures of the correct part then I can say they did not replace the steering gearbox.

Dec.9.2020.jpeg

Dec.10.jpeg

Sponsored

JeepRider10

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All, I just got back from the dealer getting my gearbox replaced. I will have to drive it more tomorrow as I didnt get a chance to drive it much but so far minimal change if any. I did notice that the COLD air pressure in my tires was at 39 and had it at 32 so that might be the reason I felt some difference. I will lower the air pressure tomorrow prior to driving.

I could also use some help on where to look for the steering gearbox? I had read earlier in the thread where to find it and took a picture yesterday Dec 9 and then again today after picking up the vehicle and whatever I thought was the steering gearbox is the same part. See pictures enclosed. If I took pictures of the correct part then I can say they did not replace the steering gearbox.

Jeep Wrangler JL Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts Dec.10

Jeep Wrangler JL Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts Dec.10
To get the picture I went under the jeep by the left front tire and just inside the frame and looked up.

Jeepileptic

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2016 Fisher-Price Jeep Frozen Edition
To get the picture I went under the jeep by the left front tire and just inside the frame and looked up.
Thatā€™s not it, the Steering gear is easy to see if you look right above the pitman arm.

Markham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara High Altitude
That part number is a starter...

JeepRider10

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All,
So I got eyes on the steering gearbox and it has been replaced with a BLACK one, I could not get eyes on the serial number. (picture below). I drove 25 miles on 2 lane country road, which is where I had the worst level of wandering and oversteer issues due to the crown of the roads being more pronounced than on city streets and freeways. The play in the steering wheel has been reduced by approximatly half so that is a significant improvement. The steering itself feels stiffer or more positive, I can now make more of the minor steering corrections without the oversteer issues I had before, so this is another improvement. Also the Jeep tracks much better than before when you let go of the steering wheel completely. Overall I think the change made a significant improvement to the steering of this vehicle. It no longer feels DANGEROUS to drive on country roads. As was said before in this thread, It is nice to see that Jeep finally acknowledged the problem we all knew was real. I dont know if this will work for everyone but I am glad that I had the steering gear changed, as is said this made a significant improvement.

Dec.11.2020.jpeg

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
All,
So I got eyes on the steering gearbox and it has been replaced with a BLACK one, I could not get eyes on the serial number. (picture below). I drove 25 miles on 2 lane country road, which is where I had the worst level of wandering and oversteer issues due to the crown of the roads being more pronounced than on city streets and freeways. The play in the steering wheel has been reduced by approximatly half so that is a significant improvement. The steering itself feels stiffer or more positive, I can now make more of the minor steering corrections without the oversteer issues I had before, so this is another improvement. Also the Jeep tracks much better than before when you let go of the steering wheel completely. Overall I think the change made a significant improvement to the steering of this vehicle. It no longer feels DANGEROUS to drive on country roads. As was said before in this thread, It is nice to see that Jeep finally acknowledged the problem we all knew was real. I dont know if this will work for everyone but I am glad that I had the steering gear changed, as is said this made a significant improvement.

Jeep Wrangler JL Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts Dec.11.2020
That is great news. Only took Jeep 2-3 years to get on board for possible solutions.

Sponsored

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
Mine steered like crap since day one but has been driving fine since the swap. I lifted it, added wheel spacers and it still steers great. Zero complaints here, happy it now steers like a Jeep instead of like Studebaker with worn out steer knuckles........

Woodynj

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Was back at the dealer again and looks like they have to replace the the new (black one) gearbox again. When will it end. Tired of going to the dealer for repairs. ā˜¹

JeepRider10

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was back at the dealer again and looks like they have to replace the the new (black one) gearbox again. When will it end. Tired of going to the dealer for repairs. ā˜¹
What was happening that you need to have it replaced again? Did the new one go bad? Or was there just no improvement immediately?

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
I took my 2020 JLUR in back in September and the new steering box was placed on order. I still have not received the box. Called the dealer again today and was told that all deliveries have been placed on hold because the new boxes are having problems and FCA is now doing an engineering investigation on them which I am being told will take until December 20th to complete.

Update,
After contacting Jeep Cares and them assigning a case number to my parts order the box and attaching hardware showed up within a couple of days. The dealership was willing to install them the next day but because of my schedule I am waiting till the first of the year to have install completed.
Thanks for the help Jeep Cares
I will provide a steering update after the parts are installed

Woodynj

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
What was happening that you need to have it replaced again? Did the new one go bad? Or was there just no improvement immediately?
Only a slight improvement. Still a big dead spot.
Sponsored