Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
Spudf16... What is your caster set at per alignment report.
5.0 and 5.1

Is it worth getting the longer LCAs to try to get it close to 6? My wandering and dead spot is minimal, but the comments about longer LCAs make me want to go ahead and replace them (since they are only a 1/4" longer). I have al ready installed the new TSB steering gearbox

Thanks!
Sponsored

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
I had the steering box replaced 2-weeks ago, which helped a little, but still not good at all. Just installed the MOPAR extended LCA's ($30 a piece) today and that made a world of difference (running stock wheels and no lift). For $60 and 30 minutes, it is worth a try.
Do you happen to know what your new caster is?

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

Do you happen to know what your new caster is?
Unfortunately, I did not measure pre and post. There are a threads out there that contain the information, but I can tell you the length difference is only about 1/4 of an inch from the stock LCA to the new ones. Steering is slower, but road manners are much like my wife's Outback. I am replacing the Sport springs with Rubicon spec's this weekend, which will negate anything gained in caster and move back towards stock.

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

Confirm no wandering? No center dead spot?
Wonder and dead spot almost completely eliminated. I have a Willy's which comes with stock 32-inch Mud Terrains, so they do not help with wondering one bit.

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Wonder and dead spot almost completely eliminated. I have a Willy's which comes with stock 32-inch Mud Terrains, so they do not help with wondering one bit.
I have 37” Mud Terrains and do not wander at all. 80mph one hand on the wheel. The fix for me was:

-RC front lower adjustable control arms to increase caster( between 6-7 degrees)
-Yeti front adjustable track bar.
- Fox 2.0 steering stabilizer.
- Tire pressure at 36 psi.
- check/torqued all front end bolt/nuts. Some where a bit loose.

My 2018 JLU Rubicon drove like garbage on the freeway off the lot stock. Now it drives on the freeway( and off the freeway) really sweeeeeeeet after the above additions/adjustments.

Sponsored

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
I had the steering box replaced 2-weeks ago, which helped a little, but still not good at all. Just installed the MOPAR extended LCA's ($30 a piece) today and that made a world of difference (running stock wheels and no lift). For $60 and 30 minutes, it is worth a try.
That sounds like a great addition.
So i can install the Mopar LCAs AND the synergy bracket together or is it one or the other? Sorry but i am not familiar with Jeep mechanics!

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
So i can install the Mopar LCAs AND the synergy bracket together or is it one or the other? Sorry but i am not familiar with Jeep mechanics!
Hi Rami, it's not recommended to install the longer control arms on a Sport with stock suspension. The longer lower control arms are used to increase caster and, normally, the caster is fine on the Sports as they are shipped from the factory.

Later,
Johnny

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

Yes, you can do both. I would try one at a time, as the LCA's are $60 and the synergy is $200+. Both are easy to install.

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Yes, you can do both. I would try one at a time, as the LCA's are $60 and the synergy is $200+. Both are easy to install.
If no lift why the brackets. I have a lift/37’s and no need for the brackets.
Maybe just beefier adjustable LCA would be better than wimpy fixed LCA. All I am saying as this worked for me.

I will let the suspension experts chime in.

soringorgan

First Name
Sorin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon EcoDiesel
is this the item? https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/68322798aa.html

Is this an easy job for average Joe? I have a 2020 Rubicon EcoDiesel and the TSB did nothing for me. Very loose steering at freeway speed.

Sponsored

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
Hi Rami, it's not recommended to install the longer control arms on a Sport with stock suspension. The longer lower control arms are used to increase caster and, normally, the caster is fine on the Sports as they are shipped from the factory.

Later,
Johnny
Ok, but since my JLUS doesn't seem to return to center between 11 and 1 on the left and right ,wouldn't the extra caster help with that?If i am on the highway ,nudging left to 11 stays that way, nudgine right to 1 it returns slightly but never back to 12....so thats why i thought casters might help

soringorgan

First Name
Sorin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon EcoDiesel
Ok, but since my JLUS doesn't seem to return to center between 11 and 1 on the left and right ,wouldn't the extra caster help with that?If i am on the highway ,nudging left to 11 stays that way, nudgine right to 1 it returns slightly but never back to 12....so thats why i thought casters might help
When was the Rev B issued? I took the original TSB issued in August 10 to them and did not say anything about EcoDiesel, you are right they followed the TSB and installed the gas version.
Sponsored