Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
yup, you are correct, I misunderstood what you stated... the loctite is usually (but not always) applied to the threads of the locknut, but since you can remove the locknut, this is not your issue. I have no idea why you cannot turn the adjuster screw. there was one report in this thread (about a year ago) by someone claiming the adjuster screw broke (sheared off) while attempting to turn it. I feel like the hex head would round out first, but do be careful with yours - perhaps loctite was incorrectly applied to the adjuster threads instead of the locknut, or there is some other mechanical issue...
It's quite common for manufacturers to use a capillary type of loctite (like the green stuff) after the part is assembled. This could quite easily get down into the adjuster threads. Just heat the adjuster, why fight it?
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Updated Power Steering Reset Fuse Technique

Some have reported this fixed a few different steering issues such as the dead spot, loose steering, pulling, etc.

Note: It might not be a good idea to try this procedure if you have already made other modifications to tighten steering like adjusting the steering box lash screw. Keep in mind that this same reset occurs if you have a dead battery or replaced the battery so if you have made other steering tightening modifications you may have over tight steering.

1. With the JL off, remove F34 power steering fuse.

2. Start the JL, notice no power steering by turning the steering wheel and dash message error appears. Do not drive it.

3. Turn off engine. Open driver door and close it so it completely turns off all dash lights. Let it sit for at least 5 minutes so all electronics fully discharge.

4. Reinsert F34 fuse, start engine, immediately turn steering wheel full left, full right, turn to center, turn engine off. Restart and take for a test drive.

There are several reports of success. Some say no difference. If the steering box is bad, loose steering or suspension components, then this reset won’t make a difference. Here is just one one that confirmed it worked. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/post-1187994
I know that the quoted post is old, but it appeared to work for me. My only gripe with my steering was that, after left hand turns, the steering wheel was slow (a few hundred yards down the road) to recenter. The Jeep was driving dead straight, but the the steering wheel was at the 11:00 position for an 1/8 mile or so. Then it would shift to the noon position. The fuse pull seemed to have worked, although I've only driven it five miles since.

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
After a week of use now, I can say I think it still wanders. YES I’ve checked to see that I have the black steering gear. It drives like the AE box it had on it from the factory. That box was tight and had no issues, but it also had just a couple hundred miles on it. Now I’m wondering what to do.

it is going back to have the steering wheel centered. I might mention something about how it’s still now so tight but I’ll just get the “it drives like a Jeep” speech.
I know this is old, but i have the 2021, a month old JLU, new Steering box from factory, it still has an inch of play and when its off a few degrees left or right it never recenters along the highway, i have to recenter it and then it drives straight, but the little 1 inch "gap" is still there and i always feel the wandering inbetween my lane, can never drive relaxed.Dealer said its a Jeep thing since this is the first tiem i own one but will bring it in this monday to have it test driven......In my 28 years of driving i have never ever heard such BS....

MoJeepDust

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 00 XJ, 08 Avalanche, 76 CB550F
Occupation
Jeep Product Trainer
I know this is old, but i have the 2021, a month old JLU, new Steering box from factory, it still has an inch of play and when its off a few degrees left or right it never recenters along the highway, i have to recenter it and then it drives straight, but the little 1 inch "gap" is still there and i always feel the wandering inbetween my lane, can never drive relaxed.Dealer said its a Jeep thing since this is the first tiem i own one but will bring it in this monday to have it test driven......In my 28 years of driving i have never ever heard such BS....
Heres a potential solution if your dealer isnt going to do anything. ive installed these for a couple people and its a gamechanger. Synergy Front track bar and sector shaft brace. part #8869-01 cost is around $250 and it sucks to spend that on a vehicle that you just purchased but you'll be able to enjoy the vehicle this way.

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
Heres a potential solution if your dealer isnt going to do anything. ive installed these for a couple people and its a gamechanger. Synergy Front track bar and sector shaft brace. part #8869-01 cost is around $250 and it sucks to spend that on a vehicle that you just purchased but you'll be able to enjoy the vehicle this way.
Thank you for that, I will look into it,!I also heard changing the lower control arms to and aftermarket adjustable one also hleps alot.I do not plan on lifting anytime soon, full stock, is it possible to change those without necessarily lifting? Just for the ride quality and the other future benefits in case??

Sponsored

MoJeepDust

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Product Trainer
Thank you for that, I will look into it,!I also heard changing the lower control arms to and aftermarket adjustable one also hleps alot.I do not plan on lifting anytime soon, full stock, is it possible to change those without necessarily lifting? Just for the ride quality and the other future benefits in case??
the adjustable control arms are helpful if youve lifted 2+ inches but running stock theres no need. Im not sure why jeep hasnt recalled the steering boxes but The synergy box, track bar bracket will tighten up the steering play and give you the driving experience your looking for.

Tony V

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
TSB done. Worth it. Get it done!! No wander, goes straight, tighter, stays between lines.

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
the adjustable control arms are helpful if youve lifted 2+ inches but running stock theres no need. Im not sure why jeep hasnt recalled the steering boxes but The synergy box, track bar bracket will tighten up the steering play and give you the driving experience your looking for.
Ill look into the Synergy bracket, I did the R34 Fuse thing and things seem to be a bit better but the return to center is my main concern now.Do you think the bracket will fix the return to center? I am only having this problem on highways where small nudges dont return to center.Coming off a turn it does better though.I read that this return to center is somehwat of a normal thing everywhere because of the Solid axles...

MoJeepDust

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Product Trainer
Ill look into the Synergy bracket, I did the R34 Fuse thing and things seem to be a bit better but the return to center is my main concern now.Do you think the bracket will fix the return to center? I am only having this problem on highways where small nudges dont return to center.Coming off a turn it does better though.I read that this return to center is somehwat of a normal thing everywhere because of the Solid axles...
the return to center is part solid axel, part steering, part tire choice. The bracket will certainly help. Im not sure what tires you run but the heavier and the more you lean toward mud tires the more the jeep will wonder the road.

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
the return to center is part solid axel, part steering, part tire choice. The bracket will certainly help. Im not sure what tires you run but the heavier and the more you lean toward mud tires the more the jeep will wonder the road.
I have the JLUS completely Stock, the tires are the Dueler A/T. I have lowered the PSI to around 34 cold but when driving they hit 36-37 and after the fuse pull it seems its good but as i said with miniscule play and return to center is a bit off but after the fuse and tires i feel it is much better. I will get the Synergy bracket by the new year and see how it goes.
Cheers!

Sponsored

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

I had the steering box replaced 2-weeks ago, which helped a little, but still not good at all. Just installed the MOPAR extended LCA's ($30 a piece) today and that made a world of difference (running stock wheels and no lift). For $60 and 30 minutes, it is worth a try.

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
I had the steering box replaced 2-weeks ago, which helped a little, but still not good at all. Just installed the MOPAR extended LCA's ($30 a piece) today and that made a world of difference (running stock wheels and no lift). For $60 and 30 minutes, it is worth a try.
Confirm no wandering? No center dead spot?

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Yep.. getting that caster up to 6-7 degrees can help big time. Some of the JLs have low caster off the assembly line . Mine did -was 4.2 degrees .. would drift on the freeway, steering loose, steering wheel to center not good. Once I installed some adjustable front lower control arms and got caster close 7 degrees it was magical... drives perfect. I also had confirmed this would resolve the issue by 3 different quality alignment shops before I proceeded.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Mopar LCAs did nothing for mine.
Sponsored