Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

Jeepileptic

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2016 Fisher-Price Jeep Frozen Edition
Very happy to say that I am finally able to un-watch this thread. The latest box has completely fixed my issues. I hope everyone here with the same issue is able to be taken car of. It is worth the wait.
Mic drop
Sponsored

Jeepileptic

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2016 Fisher-Price Jeep Frozen Edition
I sincerely hope that this TSB becomes a recall at some point. My steering is 100x better after the fix. Think about all those jeepers out there that are not part of this forum that are dealing with crappy steering. Without a recall, they will likely never know about this TSB...

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Just got mine back from the TSB and all I can say is WOW! This is how it should have been at Job 1 From factory. Mine wasnā€™t even that bad to begin with. If you are on the fence get it done. Whole different driving experience.

DigitalDiem

First Name
Capn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Very happy to say that I am finally able to un-watch this thread. The latest box has completely fixed my issues. I hope everyone here with the same issue is able to be taken car of. It is worth the wait.
Mine is going in today. All the parts are here and the dealer is doing it today. I figured it'd take a month to get the parts but it was one week!. I'll let you know how it goes.

Markham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara High Altitude
After a week of use now, I can say I think it still wanders. YES Iā€™ve checked to see that I have the black steering gear. It drives like the AE box it had on it from the factory. That box was tight and had no issues, but it also had just a couple hundred miles on it. Now Iā€™m wondering what to do.

it is going back to have the steering wheel centered. I might mention something about how itā€™s still now so tight but Iā€™ll just get the ā€œit drives like a Jeepā€ speech.

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I called to check in today. The service guy said a nut was stripped? They needed to order a new one. Iā€™ll be inspecting it myself at some point... safety.

You think it might actually be that one time use nut? (If I recall correctly) And they actually overlooked ordering it?

He said everything is done minus that and I should get a call by noon tomorrow. I also had the driverā€™s side rear interior door panel replaced under warranty. It had a couple of mysterious bubbles in the textured vinyl a little smaller than a pencil eraser. Iā€™ve not heard of that as an issue.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
After a week of use now, I can say I think it still wanders. YES Iā€™ve checked to see that I have the black steering gear. It drives like the AE box it had on it from the factory. That box was tight and had no issues, but it also had just a couple hundred miles on it. Now Iā€™m wondering what to do.

it is going back to have the steering wheel centered. I might mention something about how itā€™s still now so tight but Iā€™ll just get the ā€œit drives like a Jeepā€ speech.
Whats your reference? An IFS vehicle? It'll never steer like that. It'll always be a bit different.

OP
OP
Springs

Springs

First Name
Darrin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Rubicon JL 4-Door
Thank you All, I wanted to give an update since I did start this forum. We have had several recalls and a few bulletins that have made improvements and the gearbox replaced yesterday has made steering seem much better now.
PS, This is our fifth new jeep and like always we are getting about $1500 less than we paid 2 and a half years ago (from CARMAX). There is no other vehicle that offers this kind of resale value, Period! We are ordering our new 2021 JLUR this week from a preferred dealer recommended on this forum for over 8% below dealer invoice (not MSRP), WOW unbelievable really. Yes we still love Jeeps and look forward to enjoying another one.

Last edited:

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks for the update! Enjoy!

We were told a year ago that "It's a Jeep Thing" It's finally in to have the steering gear replaced.

Our 2nd dealer has been excellent, and we've had help from FCA Jeep Canada Customer Care.

I've read through this entire series of posts and it's been so helpful.

Last edited:

JimmyDoom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
I also wish this TSB would become a recall. My dealership drove my Jeep and said it drives like it was designed and I don't need the new gear box (we've all heard that one many times). I said to them, Maybe it drives "better" because of the thousands of dollars I threw into it on aftermarket front end components? All they said was I should set my steering stabilizer (Teraflex Falcon 2.2) on the stiffest setting. I said well that is supposed to be for highway driving and not city.....they just shrugged it off.
I'm not looking for any advice or fixes cause I have tried them all. I just don't understand why this has to be so difficult and why can't they just release a recall if this is fixing the problem for so many people? I guess it all boils down to money for them.
That new Bronco is looking better everyday

Sponsored

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I just don't understand why this has to be so difficult and why can't they just release a recall if this is fixing the problem for so many people? I guess it all boils down to money for them.
I'm with you 100% on this.
Hell I would even pay a, I don't know, "service charge" of say $100 if they would do the swap no questions asked, no haggling, and for the love of god no Jeep Cares. But if I pay $100 I need proof that they actually used the correct hardware and verification before/after that the system was flashed with the updated software.

JimmyDoom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
I'm with you 100% on this.
Hell I would even pay a, I don't know, "service charge" of say $100 if they would do the swap no questions asked, no haggling, and for the love of god no Jeep Cares. But if I pay $100 I need proof that they actually used the correct hardware and verification before/after that the system was flashed with the updated software.
I would do that as well, that's a great idea.
This is another example of how difficult they make it. I replaced my steering stabilizer long before they initiated the recall for it and now I can't get the recall removed from my Jeep. My dealership tells me they would have to remove the aftermarket one (which they put on) and replace it with the new recall stabilizer.....and then reinstall my Falcon stabilizer. none of that makes sense to me.

And what's really sad, is now I've discovered corrosion on my door and hood and showed it to the dealership. they are supposed to contact Chrysler about it to get it resolved......I don't have much faith in them on this one as well

Markham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara High Altitude
Whats your reference? An IFS vehicle? It'll never steer like that. It'll always be a bit different.
My reference? I traded in my 2018 JLU that had the AD box which was loose as hell for the 2020 JLU with the AE box which was much tighter and comfortable.

After driving the new steel AA box in my 2020 it drives a few percentage points better than the AE aluminum box that it came with and almost 100% better than the AD box in my 2018.

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
I also wish this TSB would become a recall. My dealership drove my Jeep and said it drives like it was designed and I don't need the new gear box (we've all heard that one many times). I said to them, Maybe it drives "better" because of the thousands of dollars I threw into it on aftermarket front end components? All they said was I should set my steering stabilizer (Teraflex Falcon 2.2) on the stiffest setting. I said well that is supposed to be for highway driving and not city.....they just shrugged it off.
I'm not looking for any advice or fixes cause I have tried them all. I just don't understand why this has to be so difficult and why can't they just release a recall if this is fixing the problem for so many people? I guess it all boils down to money for them.
That new Bronco is looking better everyday
Find another dealer Jimmy, some of them are either incompetent, clueless or too ignorant to know the difference between ā€œa Jeep thingā€ and just plain wrong steering.

I gave my ā€œhome dealerā€ two chances and the first trip they said, ā€œit drives like every Jeep in the lotā€. I took it back after the TSB was released and told them to look again. They said, ā€œit drives like a Jeep and the TSB doesnā€™t applyā€œ to my 2020 JL with 4000 miles and plenty of warranty. I took it to my SRT dealer, told them it wanders and without missing a beat, they said Jeep has had a problem for some time and think they have it figured out. He asked if I would let him apply the TSB with no promises and see if it would help. I told him to give it a go, trying beats crying.

He gave the Rubicon back to me after a week. He ordered the updated box, FCA shipped the old one so he had to reorder to get the right one. The optics suggest Jeep is trying to unload their inventory of junk steer boxes so Iā€™d definitely recommend folks confirm they got what they think they got. Luckily, my guy caught it right when he opened the box.

I finally got a chance to drive it last week at freeway speed and it was night and day. Itā€™s now a box going down the road like a normal Jeep and not a dangerous lane wandering fool that requires constant correction.

Thankfully, itā€™s finally ā€œa Jeep thingā€ and Iā€™m tickled so I can now do my lift without worrying about flying off the road uncontrollably and having the lift take the blame....