Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
I just checked mine and I have 4 black bolts.
thanks for the quick check!

JeepCares called me and coordinated with the dealership to try to do another test drive and see if they can do the TSB again. Fingers crossed

Ameza

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Wow....concerning that mine is like the picture with 2 silver ones...
Is this worth taking back to the dealership? What is the difference between these two bolts, other than one is steel and the other is aluminum?

Sponsored

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
Is this worth taking back to the dealership? What is the difference between these two bolts, other than one is steel and the other is aluminum?
Not sure....but I want to ensure everything is done correctly,with the correct parts...especially since they initially didn’t install the I bolts earlier

CapsKorner

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab Ed.
I think Aluminum bolts to a steel thread would be more susceptible to corrosion since they are different metals. Not sure if that is still a rule of thumb, but I thought it was a thing. might want to look it up further on google.. but that would be my concern.

Here you go...edit from google:

Steel bolts in aluminum corrosion
Stainless steel fasteners in aluminium plates or sheets are normally considered safe, whereas aluminium rivets or bolts holding stainless steel parts together is an unwise combination, as there is a practical risk of corrosion. ... Even with no insulation between the metals, there should be little risk of corrosion.

Ameza

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
I think Aluminum bolts to a steel thread would be more susceptible to corrosion since they are different metals. Not sure if that is still a rule of thumb, but I thought it was a thing. might want to look it up further on google.. but that would be my concern.

Here you go...edit from google:

Steel bolts in aluminum corrosion
Stainless steel fasteners in aluminium plates or sheets are normally considered safe, whereas aluminium rivets or bolts holding stainless steel parts together is an unwise combination, as there is a practical risk of corrosion. ... Even with no insulation between the metals, there should be little risk of corrosion.
So this brings up the dilemma of having to return the vehicle for yet another appointment. Better yet, check it thoroughly before you leave the dealership...

CapsKorner

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab Ed.
So this brings up the dilemma of having to return the vehicle for yet another appointment. Better yet, check it thoroughly before you leave the dealership...

If you are reserved about calling out the dealership on this item in fear that they will push back, if you are mechanical and have the right tools. Order the correct bolts yourself. I'm sure they can't be but a couple dollars. I removed mine and installed them for the trackbar / sector shaft bracket. The ones behind the spring are a little more challenging since you have to move the spring out of the way a bit.. And you need to have a torque wrench.. But it isn't hard to do.

Just an option anyway.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
My JLU (VERY early production) has had the issue since day one.....I’ve just become used to it and lived with it. I was surprised to see my new Gladiator (built July 2020) has the same aluminum steering box, with similar (albeit not as bad) characteristics. I’m curious why the new steel box is not being installed on new production units.
It is supposedly on all 2021 model years. is your gladiator a 2020 or 2021?

Sponsored

Ameza

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Yes, I can confirm through another thread that ALL 2021's are arriving with the new black steel gear box. Verified by getting underneath just arrived 2021's on the lot. Finally a fix!

kkarnage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392, 2020 JLUR, 2015 JKR
Occupation
Retired
Mine has 2 silver bolts and 2 black bolts...

are we sure they are all supposed to be black?
They're all supposed to be black. If there are two silver ones, then they've reused the old bolts, which is not a good thing. Those silver ones are aluminum, and probably not best screwing into cast iron.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Some people on the Gladiator forum are reporting that the wrong black, steel box is installed on their Gladiator. They have had JL steering gear installed. Different number for the JT steering gear.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...roved-steering-feel.33705/page-73#post-564304

post # 1095 if I remember right.

edit: point is--need to check that right steering gear is installed. There are different part numbers for each model.

Last edited:

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
2020 MY Sport. Date of production July 27 2020.