2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Feedback after a decent test drive on the new box:
Sooo, had a short test drive yesterday, but got a better one in today, on a stretch of highway I know intimately, which offers a perfect storm of striated concrete road surface, occasional diagonal overpasses, gusty crosswinds, and a nice selection of straights, and slow, gentle curves. Driving that on the old box, even with all the other mods (sector shaft brace, decent tie rod and track bar, increased caster, etc etc) was truly terrifying and required constant attention, and corrections, if you didn't want to end up in the other lanes. The 1/2-3/4" dead spot I had meant that those corrections required sawing the wheel back and forth. It was exhausting, to say the least. Many of you know pretty much exactly what I'm talking about. I couldn't take my eyes of the road even for a millisecond to look at the radio or console in front of me. Even just checking my mirrors was nerve-wracking.

Anyhow, after today's test drive I can report that I finally have a Jeep that is a pleasure to drive. In fact it now probably steers better than my JKs, and that's saying quite something. There is no more random wandering left or right, and the dead spot is gone. There is still a little bit of "play" in the system, but it's a solid front axle setup, and it is truly well within what I would consider "normal", having driven a huge variety of different vehicles over the last 40 years. For the first time since getting the Jeep I was actually able to glance around the area I was driving through, able to glance at the center console to see information there, able to glance at the dials in front of me, and check my mirrors, all without looking up to find myself already at the edge of the lane I was in. It is rock solid, even at 75.

And yes, I had the sector shaft brace refitted, because I wanted to change only one thing at a time, so wanted to be able to compare just the difference between the two boxes, without any confounding variables. I'll probably leave it on, because even with the weld spatter removed from the frame where the box mounts, there is still still discernible, albeit slight, flexing without it.

The thing that I'm curious about, especially regarding the weld spatter, is how many stealerships are going to go to the trouble of cleaning it off if it's there? Sure, not every frame will have weld spatter there, but given the proximity of welded seams to where the box mounts, I'd speculate that weld spatter is an issue on a fair number of JLs. At least with the aluminum box, when it came up against those hard weld spatter peaks, the aluminum gave way a bit and so there was a slight chance of getting the box seated better. But with a cast iron box, nothing is going to give, and if there is weld spatter, the new box is going to be perched on those spatter peaks, and not properly seated flat against the frame.
Great!
I can hardly wait.
Thanks for writing this
Sponsored

TheEddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
My Jeep is at shop right now waiting on bolts to come in. I had tightened the the steering box myself which helped a ton. I was sure to put in back to stock before taking to shop. My dealership gave me no crap for having 35" tires and 2" Daystar lift.
I am curious to see how you fare. I have my original box adjusted as well as it can be. There's maybe a 1/2 to 3/4 inch dead spot.

Please update how the iron box compares to your adjusted original box, please and thanks!

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
Feedback after a decent test drive on the new box:
Sooo, had a short test drive yesterday, but got a better one in today, on a stretch of highway I know intimately, which offers a perfect storm of striated concrete road surface, occasional diagonal overpasses, gusty crosswinds, and a nice selection of straights, and slow, gentle curves. Driving that on the old box, even with all the other mods (sector shaft brace, decent tie rod and track bar, increased caster, etc etc) was truly terrifying and required constant attention, and corrections, if you didn't want to end up in the other lanes. The 1/2-3/4" dead spot I had meant that those corrections required sawing the wheel back and forth. It was exhausting, to say the least. Many of you know pretty much exactly what I'm talking about. I couldn't take my eyes of the road even for a millisecond to look at the radio or console in front of me. Even just checking my mirrors was nerve-wracking.

Anyhow, after today's test drive I can report that I finally have a Jeep that is a pleasure to drive. In fact it now probably steers better than my JKs, and that's saying quite something. There is no more random wandering left or right, and the dead spot is gone. There is still a little bit of "play" in the system, but it's a solid front axle setup, and it is truly well within what I would consider "normal", having driven a huge variety of different vehicles over the last 40 years. For the first time since getting the Jeep I was actually able to glance around the area I was driving through, able to glance at the center console to see information there, able to glance at the dials in front of me, and check my mirrors, all without looking up to find myself already at the edge of the lane I was in. It is rock solid, even at 75.

And yes, I had the sector shaft brace refitted, because I wanted to change only one thing at a time, so wanted to be able to compare just the difference between the two boxes, without any confounding variables. I'll probably leave it on, because even with the weld spatter removed from the frame where the box mounts, there is still still discernible, albeit slight, flexing without it.

The thing that I'm curious about, especially regarding the weld spatter, is how many stealerships are going to go to the trouble of cleaning it off if it's there? Sure, not every frame will have weld spatter there, but given the proximity of welded seams to where the box mounts, I'd speculate that weld spatter is an issue on a fair number of JLs. At least with the aluminum box, when it came up against those hard weld spatter peaks, the aluminum gave way a bit and so there was a slight chance of getting the box seated better. But with a cast iron box, nothing is going to give, and if there is weld spatter, the new box is going to be perched on those spatter peaks, and not properly seated flat against the frame.
Finally!!! Thanks for the update.

Ozjeeper1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
You'd be happy to know (or not know really) that this sloppy steering and wandering on the road is evident on my RHD version JL Rubicon. I have no feel translated to the steering wheel. So seems there's more to it.
hopefully the TSB will come for the RHD sooner rather than later.

Woodynj

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Well disappointed again. Called the dealer to confirm they had the parts for my appt tomorrow and they said “ya we got the track bar in, your all set”

I said “I showed you the TSB and they confirmed they ordered the right part...“Ya we are good”

They said the TSB did not show up for my VIN??? I am confused. Thought it was for all jeeps. I have a 2018 JL Sahara

@JeepCares - please help!
@JeepCares please help me out!

Sponsored

CapsKorner

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab Ed.
Steering box replaced yesterday. Checked under the hood at the dealer and verified I have the black steering box now.

Steering is greatly improved, I would say it is where it is supposed to be for a Jeep now coming from a 2017 JKU to this 2019 JLU. Slight play in the center, but the resistance is consistent. while driving I only have to make small adjustments as I go.. I can look away from the road for a few seconds and i'm still in my lane. Going over bumps prior to the swap, the jeep felt like it was not under control, now over bumps it feels like i'm still in control and just cruising over them.

Very happy with this update. Great improvement.

TSB 08-074-20

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@JeepCares please help me out!
@Woodynj,

Please send us a DM.

I think @JeepCares has gone silent. They have not responded to my requests for help. I ended up calling Chrysler, was given a case #, and should be receiving a phone call from someone today.
@Dr. RGB,

We have not gone silent; we do have an influx of messages regarding this. Please keep in mind that we monitor several forums as well as Facebook and Twitter. We are working as quickly/efficiently as possible, and we appreciate your patience as we respond to messages.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2020 JLUW
@Woodynj,

Please send us a DM.

@Dr. RGB,

We have not gone silent; we do have an influx of messages regarding this. Please keep in mind that we monitor several forums as well as Facebook and Twitter. We are working as quickly/efficiently as possible, and we appreciate your patience as we respond to messages.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
@JeepCares Darlene,
I do understand you are surely busy as all get out, and we appreciate all your help.
I sent you a PM on Tuesday. Whenever you can help would be great!

Sponsored

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

@Woodynj,

Please send us a DM.

@Dr. RGB,

Darlene
Jeep Cares
Thanks Darlene, I am just doing as the General Manager the Dealership told me to do to rectify this issue by "Bitching and complaining" until Chrysler makes them do it. I appreciate the hard work that you and everyone @JeepCares does for the forum members, especially during a trying time like this.

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
Can someone post a photo of what the steering box looks like and where it’s located? The TSB work is being done at the dealer now and I want to confirm I have the correct replacement. Thanks in advance.

FredC

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Sport Unlimited
Took my Jeep to the dealer and they are going to replace the Steering Gear. This was my second attempt with the loose steering prompted by the Service Bulletin noted on this forum. They will order the parts and sometime after Sep 14 they will replace it. Can't wait to see the results and I hope they are as good as the ones I have read here. More to come! Service Bulletin is TSB08-074-20.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Can someone post a photo of what the steering box looks like and where it’s located? The TSB work is being done at the dealer now and I want to confirm I have the correct replacement. Thanks in advance.
Jeep Wrangler JL Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts 67A4227D-3C48-41DB-A198-6A0EA447DDA0
Jeep Wrangler JL Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts A0305D9B-88FD-42FB-ABF0-E8CCD0AAB06A

clayps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport
In the driver's side front wheel well, peel back the fender liner in front of the shock tower and the steering box will be right there. New = Black, Old = Silver. The fender liners are crazy flimsy so very easy to peel back to see.
Sponsored