Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Picked up Jeep...got the new bolt and reflashed the software...

No change

Standby for video
I would be interested to see you do a dry steer test on your Jeep, I’m wondering if they didn’t get the track bar torqued properly and every time you turn the wheel you have to take up the slack. Everyone else has had very positive results.
Sponsored

Holymoly1963

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3, Wrangler JL Sport with bad steering
stopped at dealer today and got no pushback on the request, no we have to test it or any other BS.

surprisingly enough, he had already ordered it for me knowing i would want it. Scheduled for Thursday the 4th.
Loaner..no problem, they will remove the sector brace. ..no problem.

When checking availability he showed 180 of these in stock in Cleveland area.

Kudos for once to North Olmsted Jeep. Frank is doing it right.
Good for you and your dealer and Jeep. That's what they should do!

Buckeyedave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
stopped at dealer today and got no pushback on the request, no we have to test it or any other BS.

surprisingly enough, he had already ordered it for me knowing i would want it. Scheduled for Thursday the 4th.
Loaner..no problem, they will remove the sector brace. ..no problem.

When checking availability he showed 180 of these in stock in Cleveland area.

Kudos for once to North Olmsted Jeep. Frank is doing it right.
I live in Avon and would like to get this TSB done as well. Are they taking your sector shaft brace off for good? Or are they going to add that in as well? What did you tell NOCJDR was going on with your Jeep? Im hoping they dont give me crap, as I put a 2.5” lift on changed the tie rod, drag link, track bar, added 37’s and put the Synergy Sector shaft brace on also.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
I live in Avon and would like to get this TSB done as well. Are they taking your sector shaft brace off for good? Or are they going to add that in as well? What did you tell NOCJDR was going on with your Jeep? Im hoping they dont give me crap, as I put a 2.5” lift on changed the tie rod, drag link, track bar, added 37’s and put the Synergy Sector shaft brace on also.
i told them it pulls and wanders when it gets hot outside.
I also let them know they will need to remove the brace but do not have to reinstall it.
you may get crap due to all the mods, but it doesn’t change the fact that the TSB still has to be done.

Isn't Tomko closer to Avon area ?

Buckeyedave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
i told them it pulls and wanders when it gets hot outside.
I also let them know they will need to remove the brace but do not have to reinstall it.
you may get crap due to all the mods, but it doesn’t change the fact that the TSB still has to be done.

Isn't Tomko closer to Avon area ?
Yes, Tomko is closer, but I cant stand that dealership. Thanks for the info. Let me know if this new box cures your issues.

Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes, Tomko is closer, but I cant stand that dealership. Thanks for the info. Let me know if this new box cures your issues.
I have never been to Tomko and North Olmsted has not always been helpful. On a few occassions I went over to Slymans and they were actually very nice to deal with. However, for this I'll stick with where I bought both my Jeeps from and their service writer (Frank) has been a decent advocate of helping me through the problems.
I will post after next weeks service so by Friday I should have a pretty good feel. I'm a little hesitant to forgo the sector brace and I'm going to ask them to reinstall the bracket only. I will hang on the the rest of the parts like the saddle and pitman sleeve and nut just in case I want to put it on in the future. I'm hearing a lot of bad things regarding the design of the sector brace and how it wears due to lack if greasable parts.

drvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2014 JKU, 2005 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have never been to Tomko and North Olmsted has not always been helpful. On a few occassions I went over to Slymans and they were actually very nice to deal with. However, for this I'll stick with where I bought both my Jeeps from and their service writer (Frank) has been a decent advocate of helping me through the problems.
I will post after next weeks service so by Friday I should have a pretty good feel. I'm a little hesitant to forgo the sector brace and I'm going to ask them to reinstall the bracket only. I will hang on the the rest of the parts like the saddle and pitman sleeve and nut just in case I want to put it on in the future. I'm hearing a lot of bad things regarding the design of the sector brace and how it wears due to lack if greasable parts.
I just took my sector shaft brace portion off last night. I'm barely worthy to touch anything under there but I'm trying to learn. With that said it took me about 20 minutes to remove...not nearly as difficult as I thought. Give it a try!

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
Fast speed:

Slower speed:
I don't think you'll ever have "zero play" in a solid axle vehicle. That steering looks good and probably wont change with ambient temperature. Congrats on having fixed steering. If you still don't like it, I'd recommend an IFS vehicle.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I just took my sector shaft brace portion off last night. I'm barely worthy to touch anything under there but I'm trying to learn. With that said it took me about 20 minutes to remove...not nearly as difficult as I thought. Give it a try!
agreed it is easy to pull off as long as you have a 42 mm socket.

Sponsored

kkarnage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392, 2020 JLUR, 2015 JKR
Occupation
Retired
So, for anyone who is interested, here's a video comparison of the difference in play between the original (AE) aluminum box, and the new cast iron box, on the bench. Watch the black rubber seal to see the movement better. Even with just fingers, the play in the old box is clearly noticeable. There is zero play in the new box. The old box only has ~3K miles on it, so you can't really ascribe the play to wear and tear. That play translated into a 1/2-3/4 inch dead spot in the steering wheel.

So, new box is going in at the moment, and I should be able to report back in the next day or two.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I’m interested!
Wish I had a dollar for every time I heard “It’s a Jeep thing!”

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I bought my wife a new Rubicon JL and I drove it the other day and it seems to have some play in the steering and feels like I am constantly trying to correct the direction we are traveling. I thought it was out of alignment but I went and drove another one and it felt the same way. Is anyone else feel this issue and is it just the way it is or is it just a jeep thing? We just sold our 2013 JKU and it was like that too but I expected improved steering on the new JL model. I would like to hear other peoples thoughts about this steering play or drifting feeling. O by the way, She loves her new ride!

Jeep Wrangler JL Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts 1560694C-2E2C-4318-AA5D-D8265BE8F30E
Thanks good post. 2-1/2 years later and I’m waiting for the new steering box.
You did really well identifying this.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks good post. 2-1/2 years later and I’m waiting for the new steering box.
You did really well identifying this.

While I’m not the eternal optimist and I will wait until after mine is changed next week to cast judgement.

Looking back just for fun... this thread started over 2.5 years ago, has had close to 6500 posts,, spanned 433 pages and is always one of the hot topics. It has spawned off a dozen plus similar threads each with a history.

We have seen home remedies, voodoo curses and almost come to blows about “ it’s a jeep...it’s suppose to be like that” and there’s nothing wrong ..it’s us we should just buy a Lexus. We have PMed each other and shared horror stories and attorney info. Conjured up definitions of the legal process and cursed the phrase ”Jeep Cares” more than i care to think about.

I recall the poster that told me i would NEVER get buyback and Jeep had far more legal clout and money than I.
I remember laughing as i deposited my $45,000 check from FCA.

If this is the fix I’ll be the first to pat Jeep on the back and thank them since it’s not a matter of too little too late, but a matter of better late than never.

drvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2014 JKU, 2005 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
FIXED!!!!
THIS TSB and cast iron steering box fixed the jeep. It feels like a normal driving jeep now. No wandering up to 75 mph and minimal to no dead spot. Amazing! Went from irritated as hell to happy.

Background. 3" lift 35" tires. Synergy tie rod, drag link sector shaft/track bar brace and rancho geometry correction bracket. Performed power steering fuse technique reset. Caster @ 5. None of that stuff helped ($3000 with labor and 2 months in 4wd shop given back ordered parts).

The only thing that worked was the new steering box.
Sponsored