Sponsored

Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Darlene, does this apply to those who are over their warranty mileage, but had the problem documented multiple times while within the warranty period? Can you help with that case as well?
Reason #85 to buy an extended warranty when purchasing a beta test new JL series or any new series of vehicle. Another way to look at it, many have tried to fix the Jeep Wrangler JL steering issues with thousands of dollars worth of after market upgrades and still didn’t fix it 100%. It would be cheaper to pay for the new and improved steering box out of warranty than those after market parts.
Sponsored

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
Reason #85 to buy an extended warranty when purchasing a beta test new JL series or any new series of vehicle. Another way to look at it, many have tried to fix the Jeep Wrangler JL steering issues with thousands of dollars worth of after market upgrades and still didn’t fix it 100%. It would be cheaper to pay for the new and improved steering box out of warranty than those after market parts.
Yes true, however Jeep gave many of us the runaround, trying to claim it was as designed. Turns out its just defective. Should be covered under warranty.

drvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2014 JKU, 2005 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Prior JK owner...many good memories. Recently bought a JL. Unfortunately, I fall into the group with the terrible steering. I would describe it as a floating/drifting/wandering. Overly frequent wheel corrections are necessary to stay centered in the lane. Its the absence of confidence inspiring. Sometimes its downright unnerving. Ive read every morsle possible on the issue, watched every video I could find and consulted the dealer and multiple aftermarket shops.
The vehicle is a 2020 JLU. 2.5" lift. 35" KO2 with method wheels.
Corrections attempted: Geometry correction bracket, tie rod, drag link, track bar/sector shaft brace. After that a Steering stabilizer was placed.
Alignment has been performed and reperformed. Caster is slightly above 5.
Performed fuse technique/power steering reset.
Result? Nada. Nothing. No change.
The owner of the Wrangler predominant 4WD shop I used said he has never driven a vehicle like this. He struggled to describe what it was like driving other than saying...thats not normal.
Not expecting perfection. I'd just like it to be as good as my JK. I'd like to enjoy driving it rather than it being a chore. Just got in line for the recent gearbox and software update TSB . We can all pray this ends the issue. We are in this together. Looking forward to hearing what early adoptors of the new gearbox experience.

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,
Well I have an appointment for wednesday at 7:30 so they can see if they think it deserves the TSB parts that they are talking about. Unfortunately the dealer I'm taking it to has several times said that it "drives as intended." We'll see what happens. Just taking it to the dealer makes me so sick I want to throw up. To think that a fix could be so close yet it all hinges on the dealers opinion is so frustrating.

Sponsored

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
Well I have an appointment for wednesday at 7:30 so they can see if they think it deserves the TSB parts that they are talking about. Unfortunately the dealer I'm taking it to has several times said that it "drives as intended." We'll see what happens. Just taking it to the dealer makes me so sick I want to throw up. To think that a fix could be so close yet it all hinges on the dealers opinion is so frustrating.
My English is very bad :crying:, but it seems that in the FCA document it is clearly stated that it is the customer who explains the problem and if it is as described in the document, the dealer is obligated to make the change!?

Rubicon20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I feel the same way. When I made the appt a couple days ago, I got the sense from the service advisor this would be a colossal struggle to get this acknowledged, so much so that I'm hesitating to bring it in.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
My English is very bad :crying:, but it seems that in the FCA document it is clearly stated that it is the customer who explains the problem and if it is as described in the document, the dealer is obligated to make the change!?
Your English is better than many native speakers. And, yes, I read the TSB the same way.

318Polara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon 2dr
I feel the same way. When I made the appt a couple days ago, I got the sense from the service advisor this would be a colossal struggle to get this acknowledged, so much so that I'm hesitating to bring it in.
My jeep goes in Aug 25 for steering gear replacement. Two years of filling out FCA surveys on customer satisfaction I finally received a call from jeep engineer in Detroit a week ago Friday. Let me assure you there is something wrong with your jeep steering the engineer said so. He has driven good, bad and jeeps that shouldn't be on the road. Squeaky wheel gets the grease, now that service bulletin is out be persistent. He said gear is made with updated materials and will come with software update. He felt we will see a major difference, I sure hope so. Will update when finished.

drvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2014 JKU, 2005 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
My jeep goes in Aug 25 for steering gear replacement. Two years of filling out FCA surveys on customer satisfaction I finally received a call from jeep engineer in Detroit a week ago Friday. Let me assure you there is something wrong with your jeep steering the engineer said so. He has driven good, bad and jeeps that shouldn't be on the road. Squeaky wheel gets the grease, now that service bulletin is out be persistent. He said gear is made with updated materials and will come with software update. He felt we will see a major difference, I sure hope so. Will update when finished.
Well done Sir! Thanks for the info

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Is this the same engineer that designed the first box or someone different? Lets hope it’s someone different and that this box fixes your issues.

Holymoly1963

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3, Wrangler JL Sport with bad steering
Thank you for your work. Your experience sounds very similar to mine. Could you PM me with the engineers contact info. I would appreciate it as I anticipate a struggle to get the new update. Jeep has been denying there is a steering problem since I bought the damn thing 26 months ago. Interestingly they have replaced the stabilizer and track bar already for the steering problem they deny exists.

powelld353

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2000 Wrangler TJ Sport
Occupation
General idiot, know nothing
Vehicle Showcase
Ok folks, after much blood sweat and tears with this sterring issue for almost a year and a half I can say that this new steering box does fix the issue. Just got it back from the dealer and drove it home on the expressway and it it drove great. Much less play, a tiny bit but to be expected on a solid axle Wrangler and was less than 1/2 inch total travel where before it could get to 2 inches in warm weather, no wander and better feel. No see-sawing back and forth just to stay in my lane. Thank you FCA for finally coming up with THE fix.

Woodynj

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I’m in the same boat. I was pulled over for suspected DUI one week after buying my jeep in 2018 the steering was so bad. Fought with jeep for months then finally gave up. I hope this works.
Sponsored