Sponsored

Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
This just came out today.....new box and software. Parts not available at this time, mid to late September.

ADB96051-A54C-439B-B770-F8C1428E3546.jpeg
Awesome, thank you for the info. Looks like next month I'll schedule an appointment, and hopefully get this taken care of.

Do you know if this is the cast iron steering box that was rumored a little bit ago? Not that I think my steering issue is related to aluminum, but rather shitty factory tolerances.
Sponsored

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Awesome, thank you for the info. Looks like next month I'll schedule an appointment, and hopefully get this taken care of.

Do you know if this is the cast iron steering box that was rumored a little bit ago? Not that I think my steering issue is related to aluminum, but rather shitty factory tolerances.
From what I have heard it is cast iron. Itā€™s a different part number ends in AA

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi Everyone,

In regards to TSB 08-074-20: your dealers are able to order parts at this time. If you need assistance with this, please send us a private message.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Hi Everyone,

In regards to TSB 08-074-20: your dealers are able to order parts at this time. If you need assistance with this, please send us a private message.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
Darlene,

Can you let us know if there are any requirements for us to qualifying for this? Many dealers have told us our Jeeps drive like designed already. Is there a test they will perform to know if we are covered?

Sponsored

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
And can we assume that ALL new 2021 models rolling off the assembly line will have the newest steering box and updates ??

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Hi Everyone,

Darlene
Jeep Cares
Hi Darlene,

Is there a place we can view the entire TSB? Just like @df007 last time I had my Wrangler at the dealership regarding a previous TSB they blamed my stock KO2 tires and, "all Jeep steer like that" even though the loaner I had steered fine. They also refused to acknowledge previous TSB articles, so I'm just trying to cover all bases before wasting more hours on this (this will be the third time at the dealership for steering issue).

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
Hi Everyone,

Darlene
Jeep Cares
will send a PM

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Wanted to thank all those people who took time to share their experiences and tips on trying to fix their JL steering. Here is what worked for me.

Issue: I had the 2 inches of dead play, worse in heat, with extensive wondering since the day it came off the assembly line. It was scary and exhausting to drive. Slack in steering box got worse quickly over a couple years.

JL Specs: 2018 Jeep JL Sahara, 3.6, hard top, all original suspension/tires etc. Currently has around 16k miles/26k kms. Factory order, picked up in June 2018 with around 5-7 miles on it from dealership.

What we have done to date:
  • Dealership verified that suspension bolts torque to spec (I personally checked with recently calibrated torque wrench) in Fall 2018. All were to spec ā€“ no change.
  • Dealership performed software update in Winter 2019 ā€“ no change.
  • Dealership updated mopar steering dampener - Felt worse for some reason.
  • Dealership updated mopar track bar in Fall 2019 ā€“ slightly stiffer feeling, but still wondering with dead-play and tracking all over.
  • Dealership performed new alignment using revised specs that came with the new track bar ā€“ no change.
  • Pulled the fuse (waited, put back in, turned wheels) to reset ā€“ felt better, but may have been subjective (wanting it to be better).
  • Tightened factor box very slightly (1/8), made it feel more darty/dangerous (wheel still centered by itself) so put it back to factory setting ā€“ no improvement.
  • Dealership replaced the steering box (AE version) the end of July 2020 and adjusted the toe - Steering has improved 90% !! Far better than when I picked up new from the dealership! There is only a small Ā½ inch in play now, wondering is much better and steering is thankfully stiffer.
The new steering box made the greatest change to the overall driving dynamic. It is still not as good as my Jeep JK was, or any IFS vehicle, but after many visits to the dealership, it is finally livable! May try the longer control arms to get it above the 90%. Good luck to you all.
What did they change on TOE?

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Darlene,

Can you let us know if there are any requirements for us to qualifying for this? Many dealers have told us our Jeeps drive like designed already. Is there a test they will perform to know if we are covered?
@df007 - There are no build date requirements; it refers to all JLs and JTs that have been produced through 2018-2020. Your dealer must determine that the fix is necessary through diagnosis. If you need support from us when you return to the dealer, please send us a PM.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
@df007 - There are no build date requirements; it refers to all JLs and JTs that have been produced through 2018-2020. Your dealer must determine that the fix is necessary through diagnosis. If you need support from us when you return to the dealer, please send us a PM.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
Darlene, does this apply to those who are over their warranty mileage, but had the problem documented multiple times while within the warranty period? Can you help with that case as well?

DesertJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
This just came out today.....new box and software. Parts not available at this time, mid to late September.

ADB96051-A54C-439B-B770-F8C1428E3546.jpeg
My 2019 JLUR doesn't track straight and pulls right. Will this TSB fix this issue as the dealership, despite admitting to the issue, can't find a fix?
Sponsored