Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Why not attempt to get the steering box replaced under warranty first?
I've been waiting for a newer revision. I've drove a couple with the AE box and they still had play. I would rather fix it right and be done with it over having to keep going back and forth to the dealer and hoping I get a good box.
Sponsored

znakos

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I've been waiting for a newer revision. I've drove a couple with the AE box and they still had play. I would rather fix it right and be done with it over having to keep going back and forth to the dealer and hoping I get a good box.
I agree. Luckily mine tracks straight now. Only about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of dead space in the steering. To me it's bearable and I only occasionally notice it since mine tracks straight now. I am not messing with mine unless there is an updated steering box over the AE version that proves to be much better.

PSC kit is not that expensive considering how much any of us will lose on depreciation just trading the JL in for anything else.

TROYXTROY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubi
Approx 15k on 2020 2dr rubi.
Drives so much better on the highway when the top is down. With the top up, the wind blows me into the next lane.....
Fun

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I got under the Jeep and had my wife move the steering wheel back and forth through the dead zone range. Steering shaft would move but the pitman arm wasn't. Makes it pretty obvious where the slop is coming from.

JDM

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
Cross caster is what it is in a Jeep. If you try to introduce more into the Jeep you will be putting one or more of the control arms in a bind and it will cause more steering issues

[/QUOTEthe Jeep specs actually do specify a cross caster up to +.5. Perhaps you can explain how two arms that are non adjustable and the same length can have any cross caster? There wasn’t any cross caster in mine from the factory. The adjustable arm bushing and even the stock will easily allow for a difference of +/-.5*.

The increase in caster from +5*.0 to either +6.5 or greater is on BOTH arms and only if you have adjustable arms. Cross caster is one arm very slightly ( a HALF a degree or less) longer than the other depending on the which side of the road the crown is.

In addition the synergy Clayton Off Road LCA’s (which are in my JLU) are available with DUAL DUROMETER Bushings which do not allow for for any bind. There were all kinds of steering and handling issues in my JLU from the factory. The only steering issue thats left is the dead spot, which as I said is far more manageable now.

Sponsored

Vezfly

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Test drove a 2020 JLUR yesterday, drove perfect ---whereas the 2019JLUR I own I have gotten down to now only dead spot(which sucks that JEEP can't fix this- had them put AE box) fixed the wandering with LCA and also added adjustable steering stabilizer

JDM

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
When the outer C is welded on there is a slight difference built in for cross caster from the factory, been like that for years.
Here is a great explanation of how to properly install adjustable arms.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/threads/how-to-setting-up-8-adjustable-control-arms.387330/
Do you really believe that a 1/4 degree to half a degree of caster can be accounted for by position welding brackets? That’s better than aircraft frame assembly. Have a look at the JL frame welds. Believe what you will, I know better and this is a waste of time.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Do you really believe that a 1/4 degree to half a degree of caster can be accounted for by position welding brackets? That’s better than aircraft frame assembly. Have a look at the JL frame welds. Believe what you will, I know better and this is a waste of time.
considering I am a technical trainer for a collision group with over 700 locations and I have seen 100’s of the Jl platform on measuring systems across the US and Canada yes. Also the axels are made is a jig which located the C’s in the position desired prior to welding. The JL has a factory tolerance of +/- 10MM on ANY point of the frame or unibody structure. I have personally measured 20-30 of these and have seen suspension mount points 7-10MM different from one side to the other. My personal JL is 4MM off on the front lower mounts. The factory arms are exactly the same length, because of the frames not being not being consistent that contributes to the handling issues, the factory arms are in a bind. Also FCA has 3-4 different manufacturers for the frame and they are not consistent from one to the other.
Feel free to believe what you want, I KNOW better. I do this daily and also by the way I am also a FCA certified structural tech and 200+ of our facilities are FCA certified shops.....I have probably seen more of the inconsistencies on the JL platform than anyone.

Vezfly

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
considering I am a technical trainer for a collision group with over 700 locations and I have seen 100’s of the Jl platform on measuring systems across the US and Canada yes. Also the axels are made is a jig which located the C’s in the position desired prior to welding. The JL has a factory tolerance of +/- 10MM on ANY point of the frame or unibody structure. I have personally measured 20-30 of these and have seen suspension mount points 7-10MM different from one side to the other. My personal JL is 4MM off on the front lower mounts. The factory arms are exactly the same length, because of the frames not being not being consistent that contributes to the handling issues, the factory arms are in a bind. Also FCA has 3-4 different manufacturers for the frame and they are not consistent from one to the other.
Feel free to believe what you want, I KNOW better. I do this daily and also by the way I am also a FCA certified structural tech and 200+ of our facilities are FCA certified shops.....I have probably seen more of the inconsistencies on the JL platform than anyone.
DO you know of a fix(or one coming( for this steering issue(dead spot) with you experience, fixed my wandering with adjustable LCA bringing caster over 6.0

Sponsored

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
Is there a way to tell which manufacturer makes the frame(s) that seem to yield no steering issues ?

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
DO you know of a fix(or one coming( for this steering issue(dead spot) with you experience, fixed my wandering with adjustable LCA bringing caster over 6.0
There is rumors of a “new” gearbox that is supposed to be released by the end of the year that is cast iron like the Jk. The wandering and the dead spot are two different things, my JLUR was absolutely terrible with the wandering. I replaced all the control arms and installed them correctly ( the way I linked earlier) and am running 6.5* caster. I have a very small dead spot 1/2 in only when the outside temp is below 60-65. In warmer weather it’s as tight as a rack system. I have fixed several of these the same way and have also swapped the AE box and corrected the dead spot. Every box is manually set from the supplier and can be set differently. I went through 5 boxes once before getting one that had acceptable play. You can bench test the box prior to installing them and have a pretty good idea if they are good or not prior to installing.

Not that I would recommend this but I have actually rented a Jl with good steering and was able to swap the box into a Jl with a decent amount of free play. The poor driving Jeep Drove perfect after the swap. A good majority of the issues with the dead spot absolutely Is the box.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Is there a way to tell which manufacturer makes the frame(s) that seem to yield no steering issues ?
Not that I am aware of, no OEM uses any single manufacturer for anything. GM has 10 different places manufacturing their truck frames. The frames are not making any difference in the dead spot. But I believe 100% they contribute to the wandering. I have seen alignment speck all over the place on brand new jeeps. The cause is the control arm points are off. I am dealing with one now that has an absolutely ridiculous rear thrust angle from the factory. The entire rear end is pushing the vehicle to the right, we will most likely be replacing the frame. It could easily be corrected by installing 4 adjustable arms and centering the rear end but they probably won’t get approved.

Vezfly

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
There is rumors of a “new” gearbox that is supposed to be released by the end of the year that is cast iron like the Jk. The wandering and the dead spot are two different things, my JLUR was absolutely terrible with the wandering. I replaced all the control arms and installed them correctly ( the way I linked earlier) and am running 6.5* caster. I have a very small dead spot 1/2 in only when the outside temp is below 60-65. In warmer weather it’s as tight as a rack system. I have fixed several of these the same way and have also swapped the AE box and corrected the dead spot. Every box is manually set from the supplier and can be set differently. I went through 5 boxes once before getting one that had acceptable play. You can bench test the box prior to installing them and have a pretty good idea if they are good or not prior to installing.

Not that I would recommend this but I have actually rented a Jl with good steering and was able to swap the box into a Jl with a decent amount of free play. The poor driving Jeep Drove perfect after the swap. A good majority of the issues with the dead spot absolutely Is the box.
Thanks so much !!
Sponsored