Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
I think it had more to do with the speed at which the wheel is turned back and forth..... If I quickly do it, while driving, and not too much....maybe 1/2 inch or a bit more in either direction back and forth quickly the Jeep seems to track straight. If I slow that movement down, it will swerve slowly to either direction... I’m guessing it has something to do with the mechanics of the steering box.... your description seems to be a better way to test... I wasn’t sure if what I am describing is standard for most steering applications. I had a BMW 5-series and I don’t believe that the steering was like that. But generally my JK tracks very true and straight and the steering is tight...
Sponsored

Nole_Dynasty

First Name
Seminole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Excellent video, many thanks to its author if he reads me! THANK YOU for these explanations and numerous tests ... made instead of FCA (in any case they do not bill by their efficiency to solve serious problems !).
He told me that FCA asked him to stop making the videos as it was “riling up the Jeep community.” He’s a service technician at the dealership I go to thankfully. Glad he’s working on my Jeep. He said the 1/4 turn improved my wandering but it’s still not 100% perfect, and never will be. The fact that FCA went cheap with the JL and made the steering box out of aluminum is the culprit for this issue he said. Hot weather amplifies the issue. He suggested i also go for the caster improvement he does in the video as well.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
He told me that FCA asked him to stop making the videos as it was “riling up the Jeep community.” He’s a service technician at the dealership I go to thankfully. Glad he’s working on my Jeep. He said the 1/4 turn improved my wandering but it’s still not 100% perfect, and never will be. The fact that FCA went cheap with the JL and made the steering box out of aluminum is the culprit for this issue he said. Hot weather amplifies the issue. He suggested i also go for the caster improvement he does in the video as well.
If it is because the steering box is aluminum, then wouldn’t every JL have steering issues then?

Robnfl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.0 Diesel - Firecracker Red
Occupation
Retired USN
If it is because the steering box is aluminum, then wouldn’t every JL have steering issues then?
I'm with you, since every JL steering box is made out of aluminum, and aluminum is causing the issue, then I would think all JL's would have a steering issue.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
I'm with you, since every JL steering box is made out of aluminum, and aluminum is causing the issue, then I would think all JL's would have a steering issue.
Are you going to provide some evidence to back that assertion?

Sponsored

Chubrocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2017 JKU Sport, 2013 F150, 2004 4Runner
100% agree on the aluminum steering box. Just look at the reports at launch of steering locking up in cold weather. Jeep obviously went to a more loose spec on the boxes to address this liability issue meaning shit steering in normal or hot weather for a lot of folks.

I've got a 2018 that was extremely hard to drive in warm weather. You can mask a lot of the play with a better track bar & more firm steering stabilizer, but the play in the box will still be there.

Aftermarket would make a killing if someone can release a conventional steering box/not aluminum and adjust them correctly.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Depending on the nature of the roads in your area the cross caster is incorrect.

Cross caster should be +.25*+.5* more on one side or the other. If most of the roads that you drive on are higher in the center and lower by the shoulder then there should be more caster on the right of your Jeep... there is less on the right and a quarter degree difference in cross caster can be significant. If the road crown is high on the center, more +caster on the left, as in this case, would produce a strong pull to the right that you would fight by turning your wheel to the left.

The more caster, over all, that you have the more feedback you will get from the road surface. So it’s a balancing act. Regardless +5* caster on a Jeep is not enough. Mine is at +7*L/+7.25R. The tracking and cornering is unreal! The trade off is that I have more feedback from the road surface perhaps a little more than some would like. If that is the case then I would reduce the Caster to +6.25L/+6.75R.

The other benefit that I have now is that the dead spot is still there but far more manageable. Far, far fewer steering inputs on a straight section (want’s to go straight now and self corrects much more readily than before). The feedback on cornering is tactile and precise. So if I there‘s a little more “roughness” as the front takes bumps, that trade off is more than OK with me.

As far as the dead spot... The stock Jeep steering system is... unacceptable. Eventually I will be replacing the system in my JLU if I decide to keep it long term. In the meantime, the adjustable LCA’s have bought me time and a pleasurable driving experience.
Cross caster is what it is in a Jeep. If you try to introduce more into the Jeep you will be putting one or more of the control arms in a bind and it will cause more steering issues

Nole_Dynasty

First Name
Seminole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Picked up my Jeep yesterday with the following actions performed by the dealer:
- Fixed the toe and steer ahead angles (which were in the "red");
- Gave the steering box pinion a quarter turn (not an approved FCA step);
- Aired down the tires to 34 psi.

Results: The handling is much better and oddly enough, it's much more responsive when completely stopped and on normal city streets. On the highway, there is still a bit of play but definitely better than it was.

I will say I'm not 100% happy with it but again I'm happy with the improvements and feel much more comfortable driving it on the highway now.

znakos

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I'd like to suggest that likely all JL's have some sort of issue with "some" dead play in the steering box. If a particular JL tracks straight though, the dead play is much less noticeable (as mine is now). Also, I bet some people just deal with it (and say their steering is fine) and others are picky and complain about it.

Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I'd like to suggest that likely all JL's have some sort of issue with "some" dead play in the steering box. If a particular JL tracks straight though, the dead play is much less noticeable (as mine is now). Also, I bet some people just deal with it (and say their steering is fine) and others are picky and complain about it.
I thought the AE box wasn’t aluminum, but not 100% sure. Could be wrong, so don’t beat me up too bad if that’s not true.

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I'm to the point where I'm about to give in and buy a PSC overland kit. I have a Metalcloak GC and 37s on my JLUR. The lift helped with the steering due to the added caster. I have added SS drag link and tie, and a synergy track bar and sector shaft brace. It's about 70% fixed. It still won't drive straight down the road. It has about 2 inches of play in the steering. My wife won't drive it and wants me to get rid of it. So basically it's sell/trade it in and lose at least $10k with all the stuff I've added or spend another $2500 and hope that fixes it. I'm also considering a heavier rear sway bar. Any wind over 10 mph or passing a semi makes it almost impossible to drive on the highway.

This is not my first Jeep. My other vehicles besides Jeeps have been Ford Super Duties with solid axles. I'm familiar with the difference between IFS and solid axle handling but this jeep is not right.

znakos

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I'm to the point where I'm about to give in and buy a PSC overland kit. I have a Metalcloak GC and 37s on my JLUR. The lift helped with the steering due to the added caster. I have added SS drag link and tie, and a synergy track bar and sector shaft brace. It's about 70% fixed. It still won't drive straight down the road. It has about 2 inches of play in the steering. My wife won't drive it and wants me to get rid of it. So basically it's sell/trade it in and lose at least $10k with all the stuff I've added or spend another $2500 and hope that fixes it. I'm also considering a heavier rear sway bar. Any wind over 10 mph or passing a semi makes it almost impossible to drive on the highway.

This is not my first Jeep. My other vehicles besides Jeeps have been Ford Super Duties with solid axles. I'm familiar with the difference between IFS and solid axle handling but this jeep is not right.
Why not attempt to get the steering box replaced under warranty first?

Nole_Dynasty

First Name
Seminole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Completely agree. Drove a buddy’s 2019 JLU who said his was fine until I pointed out it wasn’t and now he can’t get it off his mind. :angry:
Sponsored