Sponsored

Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Apolgies on that, I didn’t get the chance to do it last night. Assuming the dealer can’t fix anything, I’ll give it a shot later today.

also, I was told the Star report did not apply to me vehicle given it’s a 2020
Did you test drive another JL on the dealer lot so you can show them how you want your JL to steer?

It is the same steering box design as the 2019 and 2018 so the test procedure is the same.

And yes, you already have the longer LCA but since it is lifted, many on the forum will tell you caster is way low. The only way is after market adjustable LCAs but some dealers will no longer work on any steering issues when they see non Mopar on it.
Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
that’s all i have left to do too is an alignment and get the caster up to in the 6 range.
with the yeti track bar, teraflex stabilizer and sector brace in 90 % of where i want to be

onc_doc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Recon
Did you do the items on the list at https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/post-1198153. especially #1?

Be sure to test drive the same trim mod try l at your dealer so you can tell them you want yours to drive like the reference JL.
I did. Fuse reset didn’t do a thing
Did not do #6
Was told by the shop that did alignment after yeti bar was installed that I had play in my steering box. Dealer states it’s “normal”

Last edited:

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I did. Fuse reset didn’t do a thing
Did not do #6
Was told by the shot that did alignment after yeti bar was installed that I had play in my steering box. Dealer states it’s “normal”
What happened with #5 when you found a JL from the dealer lot and showed them it wasn’t normal?

onc_doc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Recon
What happened with #5 when you found a JL from the dealer lot and showed them it wasn’t normal?
I showed them a gladiator that was in the showroom. It had a bit less play than mine, but it was there...didn't help my cause

Sponsored

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
Just to be clear, when everyone says 1-3 inches of play, Is that measured standing still, or driving? In my JK, which drives just fine, when I am at highway speed I can quickly move the steering wheel back-and-forth about 1 to 1.5 inches...As long as I do it quickly and not too far, the vehicle still tracks straight if I go slower, I will swerve in the lane moderatel and the steering is more responsive.. So, my question is when we say play in the steering, what are the parameters at how it’s measured ?

onc_doc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Recon
Just to be clear, when everyone says 1-3 inches of play, Is that measured standing still, or driving? In my JK, which drives just fine, when I am at highway speed I can quickly move the steering wheel back-and-forth about 1 to 1.5 inches...As long as I do it quickly and not too far, the vehicle still tracks straight if I go slower, I will swerve in the lane moderatel and the steering is more responsive.. So, my question is when we say play in the steering, what are the parameters at how it’s measured ?
I get where you're coming from. There's no standard to measure it.
But it really drives like crap...and then you have the dealership treating you like your head is wrapped in tinfoil...

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
I hear ya.... I just wanted to see how the play was being tested.... not trying to be specific, just driving vs parked and fast movement of the wheel vs slow.... it makes a difference in mine depending on how fast you move the wheel...

but I’M certain there is a significant problem with the overall steering...(box)

Nole_Dynasty

First Name
Seminole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Did you test drive another JL on the dealer lot so you can show them how you want your JL to steer?

It is the same steering box design as the 2019 and 2018 so the test procedure is the same.

And yes, you already have the longer LCA but since it is lifted, many on the forum will tell you caster is way low. The only way is after market adjustable LCAs but some dealers will no longer work on any steering issues when they see non Mopar on it.
I spoke with a guy at the dealership who definitely knows what he’s talking about. He’s actually the guy who did the YouTube video below. He said they fixed the toe and caster a bit and he also gave the steering box pinion a 1/4 turn to tighten (which he noted is not an FCA approved step but he noted it had worked better than anything FCA has recommended). I’ll pick her up on Monday and will report back.

Sponsored

Kez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Tide (Punk’n)
I spoke with a guy at the dealership who definitely knows what he’s talking about. He’s actually the guy who did the YouTube video below. He said they fixed the toe and caster a bit and he also gave the steering box pinion a 1/4 turn to tighten (which he noted is not an FCA approved step but he noted it had worked better than anything FCA has recommended). I’ll pick her up on Monday and will report back.

Thank you for sharing that! Turns out I'm only 30 minutes from that dealership.

We bought a new Sahara at the end of May and have finally put the first few hundred miles on it. We drove on the interstate for the first time, and we realized that we have the dead zone in the steering wheel :/ Not just a little as I'd 'expected' from a Jeep, but can't drive on the interstate confidently with one hand. Fairly exhausting; sawing back and forth. It's most obvious at high speed. Probably at least 10 degrees of play; I estimate between 1-2" of steering wheel travel before the Jeep reacts in the opposite direction.

This is a recent realization, so we do plan to go through the dealership and see what they can/will do. Tried tire pressure, fuse trick myself with no luck. Gladdened to know that there is a dealer nearby that is more in the know about this issue, so thanks again for mentioning. The dealership we bought from was great, but perhaps we'll just take it to his dealership - especially if you have great results.

Keep us posted on your resolution - good luck!

Last edited:

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Ah I believe the dealers who tell you to go to 32psi are blowing smoke up your ass. I don't have any steering issues at 37psi.

Alignment might play a role. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the tolerances in the suspension parts were sloppy enough to add up to a Jeep that can't steer right vs one that can.

I suppose it's also possible that some suspensions are on the borderline such that airing down the tires evens them out enough to not have steering issues.

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase

Excellent video, many thanks to its author if he reads me! THANK YOU for these explanations and numerous tests ... made instead of FCA (in any case they do not bill by their efficiency to solve serious problems !).

Robnfl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.0 Diesel - Firecracker Red
Occupation
Retired USN
That wouldn’t convince me either. Only a test drive comparing apples to apples would.
Unfortunately it looks like finding a wrangler on the lot that doesn't have steering play is rare. There was one Sahara on my local dealer's lot that didn't have any play. I finally had to have my service manager test drive mine in order for them to recognize the steering issue.
Even the loaner wrangler that they gave me had as much steering play as my JLU.

I noticed the slack/play in my steering when driving on a straight road. The wheel can be moved about 1/2 each way, 1" total, and it will have zero effect on the direction that the jeep travels.

But, I think the best way to demonstrate the play is with the engine off and the steering wheel centered with wheels straight forward. Then move the steering wheel back and forth until you feel resistance, at that point the wheels will start to turn. I get the same result this way too, about 1" of steering wheel movement before the tires start to turn.

I did this same test on a '20 Sahara on the dealer's lot and there was zero play before the resistance was felt and the tires moved immediately.

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I’ve got a ‘19 JLU with 15K miles and have never noticed any play in the steering...highway or city.
Sponsored