First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Software Engineer
Sorry fellas. I put the Jeep on the freeway and it went right back to what it was doing before the fuse pull. Wandering like a drunk on the side of a hill of ice. I didn’t say anything to my wife to see if I was finding a problem because I was purposely looking for one. Unsolicited, she came in and said, “It’s broke again” and told me she would prefer driving a semi on bald tires pulling doubles in a snow tornado.......

Back to the drawing board.....
Maybe I’m just getting used to bad steering and it’s not really better. I switched back to factory trackbar because the synergy trackbar didn’t line up right. It’s definitely looser with factory one. I’m not giving up yet but the lemon lawyers should be trolling this site.
Sponsored

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hello - new member here, just picked up a new 2019 JL 2D last week and had a definite case of the loose steering with about a 3-4 inch dead zone. Could feel it around town, but on the highway was a handful. The fuse technique above FIXED THE ISSUE COMPLETELY. You guys are awesome for posting this.

A few details: 2019 JL 2D 2.0L with build date 7/19 (probably one of the last 2019's) with an AE revision steering box. Before the fix, felt like the wheel would move, but none to minimal tire deflection near center, once about 2 inches off center the power steering would "kick in" and you would immediately get more than expected tire deflection. Obviously on the highway this would require constant left/right sawing at the wheel. Followed the steps above and after the "turn to center" in step 4, the wheel shifted a bit on its own as something was recalibrated. Restarted and drives great. Had my daughter drive it after and also said it was night and day - and she was scared to drive it even around the block previously. Cancelling my service visit scheduled for this Thursday and will communicate this to the service manager. Thanks all.
David,
I truly appreciate your post.
This sounds like it's worth trying!
DaveL

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Will this fuse technique "reset" anything? I recently had my speedo re-calibrated by the dealership (vs. using a programmer). Would want to make sure this doesn't "reset" me back to anything or wipe that change...

Thx!!

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
All - UPDATE: I found the contact info for all the top executives at NHSTA and emailed them informing them of all the 6000+ message and issues ALL relating to steering. Low and behold, 4 weeks ago the Lead Engineer at the NHTSA called me. I spoke to him for 30 minutes about all these issues. He said 100% that they are involved and are working with FCA on addressing these issues. It is a top priority and of great concern. I shared all my files, emails, contacts, and dealings with all the dealers.
Two weeks after that, I get a call from my dealer asking me to bring my Jeep in because a factory rep wanted to asses it.
During my visit, we went on a drive and agreed there was an issue. As we drove, he told me that FCA is working on a NEW steering box and adjustable ball joints to address this issue (nothing about adjustable Arms), which is something I told him they need to look at, too.
I also addressed the wandering (especially in high wind or passing trucks). I told him I suspect that is software related to inputs the computer is reading with sudden changes (a box in the wind being blown left/right) making a mistake to loosen/tighten/correct when none is needed. He seemed very interested in that, too.
So bottom line:
- FCA is aware and a forthcoming new box/joint coming within next 2-3 months
- NHTSA is aware of this and working with FCA demanding testing, results, and fixes
- More than likely a recall or another notice will be coming out to address these issues.

Let's hope it works.
Great job! Thanks for doing this!

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Will this fuse technique "reset" anything? I recently had my speedo re-calibrated by the dealership (vs. using a programmer). Would want to make sure this doesn't "reset" me back to anything or wipe that change...

Thx!!
No, it won't reset any of that. That is stored in persistent memory (not reliant on power). This fuse reset is no different than if you disconnected both of your batteries (yes, there are two!).

Sponsored

sonchik

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon 2018
All - UPDATE: I found the contact info for all the top executives at NHSTA and emailed them informing them of all the 6000+ message and issues ALL relating to steering. Low and behold, 4 weeks ago the Lead Engineer at the NHTSA called me. I spoke to him for 30 minutes about all these issues. He said 100% that they are involved and are working with FCA on addressing these issues. It is a top priority and of great concern. I shared all my files, emails, contacts, and dealings with all the dealers.
Two weeks after that, I get a call from my dealer asking me to bring my Jeep in because a factory rep wanted to asses it.
During my visit, we went on a drive and agreed there was an issue. As we drove, he told me that FCA is working on a NEW steering box and adjustable ball joints to address this issue (nothing about adjustable Arms), which is something I told him they need to look at, too.
I also addressed the wandering (especially in high wind or passing trucks). I told him I suspect that is software related to inputs the computer is reading with sudden changes (a box in the wind being blown left/right) making a mistake to loosen/tighten/correct when none is needed. He seemed very interested in that, too.
So bottom line:
- FCA is aware and a forthcoming new box/joint coming within next 2-3 months
- NHTSA is aware of this and working with FCA demanding testing, results, and fixes
- More than likely a recall or another notice will be coming out to address these issues.

Let's hope it works.
Thank you very much for this work. I hope that we hear from FCA soon. I took my to the dealer and spoke with service manager who listened. They ordered a new steering box that is coming next week but given that this is software and gearbox issue it may not fix my '18 JL. I may get gearbox that is just as bad as the one I have in my Jeep.

Holymoly1963

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3, Wrangler JL Sport with bad steering
Brandon3333: Simply put - Great job! Thanks for you hard work and tenacity in reaching out to NHSTA and culling all of the information together for them. I/We owe you some scotch!
You da man....Thank you very much. I'm so tired of this whole deal, I've given up and only drive the Jeep locally. Thanks for taking on this load!! PS I'm 75 years old and can't take it any more.

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
I was thinking similar TEXGOAT. My JL “behaved” after I energized with the fuse out and the went back to throwing tantrums in a couple of weeks. If it were mechanical, I struggle to see it “heal” and then return. My problem is if the dealer sees wrench marks on the ground straps, they’ll take the easy way out and blame everything but the tire cover on that.

Sponsored

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
No, it won't reset any of that. That is stored in persistent memory (not reliant on power). This fuse reset is no different than if you disconnected both of your batteries (yes, there are two!).
Thanks for your post. It helps!

Nole_Dynasty

First Name
Seminole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
2020 JLUR here w/ Mopar 2" lift and 35" BFG KM3's installed and have a solid two-inch dead spot on each side. Driving in the mountains this past weekend through some torrential rain (passing semi-trucks, etc) was a bit scary at times. Have a reservation with Service Desk at the dealer tomorrow (Monday) so we will see what they say.

Is there anything specific I should point out to the Service Manager or any "fixes" that have worked for others? E.g. Installing a new PSC?

*Note I had the suspension/tires/wheels purposefully installed by the dealer's aftermarket shop to deal with issues like this (cost a little bit more but hopefully it pays off).

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
2020 JLUR here w/ Mopar 2" lift and 35" BFG KM3's installed and have a solid two-inch dead spot on each side. Driving in the mountains this past weekend through some torrential rain (passing semi-trucks, etc) was a bit scary at times. Have a reservation with Service Desk at the dealer tomorrow (Monday) so we will see what they say.

Is there anything specific I should point out to the Service Manager or any "fixes" that have worked for others? E.g. Installing a new PSC?

*Note I had the suspension/tires/wheels purposefully installed by the dealer's aftermarket shop to deal with issues like this (cost a little bit more but hopefully it pays off).
Was the dead spot present before the lift? You might want to test drive another JL from the dealer stock while your JL is in the service dept so you can be prepared to show the service manager and tech a JL without the dead spot. Otherwise they might claim it is normal. Also there is a Starcase about loose steering in the TSB, Recall, thread that you can bring to show them. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-142#post-426243

Last edited:

Nole_Dynasty

First Name
Seminole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Was the dead spot present before the lift? You might want to test drive another JL from the dealer stock while your JL is in the service dept so you can be prepared to show the service manager and tech a JL without the dead spot. Otherwise they might claim it is normal. Also there is a Starcase about loose steering in the TSB, Recall, thread that you can bring to show them. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-142#post-426243
There was definitely a dead spot but was not quite as pronounced as it is now.
Sponsored