Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I think this flash is only available on certain 2018 models. I tried asking for this flash when I was in and I got multiple service advisors saying there is no flash tied to my VIN. They will not perform it otherwise.
There is a VIN override option on the computer they use to apply software updates. They won’t get warranty reimbursement because it says the VIN isnt applicable. Some who got the dealer to proceed with both 2018 and 2019 models reported it fixed the steering problem as they said in the JL forums. It might also reset things not just update the software. Offer to pay or call Jeep Cares to get the dealer to apply it.

thecarps

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Software Engineer
A new steering box fixed some JLs steering issues and not others. Some in this thread have tried new steering boxes and saw no improvement but then found other fixes such as tightening loose ball joints, loose trackbar, etc. Some reported the TSB about the software flash update fixed it. A few have reported success with the power steering reset technique. There are many other cures throughout this thread as well.
Your power steering reset technique cured my wandering steering on 2020 JL Unlimited Sport S with 1,800 miles.
My adjustments so far.
Step 0. Had the dealer change the box to AE version. No improvement.
Step 1. Followed the YouTube video of TewlTalk and adjusted some of the play in my steering box. That help control the wandering. Made the variance of travel so much less.
Step 2. Picked up the Fox Stabilizer 2.0. Dealer recommended and it helped tighten a little. Did nothing for Wandering
Step 3 Installed the Synergy track bar brace. That tightened the steering even further but made the wandering more pronounced
Step 4 Followed your 4 step process for hard reset of steering box. - Cured Wandering by 70%. Its now safe to drive.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
How incredibly ridiculous.. PCM controlled steering.

Sponsored

soringorgan

First Name
Sorin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon EcoDiesel
Your power steering reset technique cured my wandering steering on 2020 JL Unlimited Sport S with 1,800 miles.
My adjustments so far.
Step 1. Followed the YouTube video of TewlTalk and adjusted some of the play in my steering box. That help control the wandering. Made the variance of travel so much less.
Step 2. Picked up the Fox Stabilizer 2.0. Dealer recommended and it helped tighten a little. Did nothing for Wandering
Step 3 Installed the Synergy track bar brace. That tightened the steering even further but made the wandering more pronounced
Step 4 Followed your 4 step process for hard reset of steering box. - Cured Wandering by 70%. Its now safe to drive.
Can't find the 4 steps, can you point me in the right direction?

thecarps

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Like many here have stated, my steering “feels like a Jeep”. It wanders, it hates wind and it rides nothing like a luxury car. My wife (who has driven my other Jeeps) flat out hated the steering in our 2020 JL. To the point she’d rather move it in the driveway and just take something else.

I read in here that sometimes the steering controller can get “confused” and act like it’s miscalibrated.

The advice to correct was with the ignition off, remove Fuse F34, start the JL, notice no power steering and just wait for all the dash messages to cycle. Turn off the engine, reinsert Fuse F34, start it up and turn the steering wheel stop to stop (full left, full right, return to center). Turn the engine off, restart and take it for a test drive to see if anything improved.

I did everything but the test drive and told my wife I had the ECM recalibrate the steering and to test it for me. Obviously, I have a greater tolerance to wander than her so chances are good I might not notice improvement. She took it to the store, bombed around town doing chores and came home saying I fixed it.

I drove it and it felt like a Jeep to me but she says it now feels like a Jeep, not a 1952 Packard needing an alignment.

If anyone else has done this, I’d be curious to your results.
This helped a bunch. Need the synergy trackbar brace in addition to new stabilizer but this helped the wandering. My wife also thinks its so much safer to drive. Whoever originally posted this.. think it was CaliforniaJeeping but this was a lemon law saving post. Not sure If the software will revert to crap like before but seems so much better now.

thecarps

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
I can’t say the fuse technique changed anything for me. Still about an inch and a half dead spot.

Scott
YouTube tewltalk and watch his video on that. You’ll need a heat gun from Harbor Freight or HD

rid34fun

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yamaha Super Tenere
Occupation
Director of Campus Development
I’m going to try to reply to this in a manner that everyone would consider as being respectful because in all sincerity no disrespect is intended...

I guess that some Jeep owners are OK with loose steering and for what seem to be valid reasons to them will accept loose steering in a Jeep, and I get it.

Others know otherwise and because they too like their Jeeps, a lot, decide to invest in eliminating the loose steering. The loose steering that WAS in mine was downright dangerous in the winter months.

My issue with the “Jeep Thing“ is that for me, it’s an issue with FCA and many dealers that use ”It’s a Jeep Thing” to get away with anything they can’t or won’t fix. Example: my JK had an out of balance vibration. The dealer tried to balance the tires repeatedly and even changed a drive line. Finally they said it’s a “Jeep Thing“ and had me drive other JK’s with the same tires that also had the same shake. I knew better. I had the tires and wheels Force balanced... NO MORE SHAKE... NO MORE JEEP THING! Put new tires on my JLU. Had them Force balanced. No shake, no “Jeep Thing“.

I’m doing the same with the steering in my JLU because I know that it doesn’t have to be loose. But I will not argue with anyone that is OK with loose steering because to them ”It’s a Jeep Thing”, to each their own.
At the cost of these vehicles there should be higher quality. However, I have owned numerous solid axle vehicles and they are not nearly as tight in steering reponse as an IFS setup. For me, the "Jeep Thing" is about all I can call it. Its more of a two solid axle thing. At least FCA fixed it a bit better for me, not great, but for solid axles, not terible. I encourage everyone to continue to push FCA as that is how products get better, by voting with your money and effort pushing a company to be better. My jeep is not dangerous any longer but not perfect. I almost bought a Tacoma TRD Offroad instead. It has tight steering and much better quality, but its not a convertible...thats the real jeep thing

Sponsored

JDM

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
At the cost of these vehicles there should be higher quality. However, I have owned numerous solid axle vehicles and they are not nearly as tight in steering reponse as an IFS setup. For me, the "Jeep Thing" is about all I can call it. Its more of a two solid axle thing. At least FCA fixed it a bit better for me, not great, but for solid axles, not terible. I encourage everyone to continue to push FCA as that is how products get better, by voting with your money and effort pushing a company to be better. My jeep is not dangerous any longer but not perfect. I almost bought a Tacoma TRD Offroad instead. It has tight steering and much better quality, but its not a convertible...thats the real jeep thing
Generally speaking loose steering has little if anything to do with a solid axle vs IFS setup. Handling and ride yes, steering no, generally speaking. What I’m referring to is the “dead spot” in the Jeep JL steering system. While it is similar in away to the looseness of a worn steering box of yesteryear it is also significantly different in other ways, dangerous in some JLs’ and completely inexcusable. Saying that it’s a “Jeep Thing” is nothing more than excusing sloppy engineering and/or quality control, and that is what the “Jeep Thing” stands for to me. It also refers to the acceptance of something that is sub par especially by todays standards. Now if someone is willing to accept that, well, that’s up to them and I will not try to convince them otherwise.

Personally and quite frankly I find it an insult to pay $60K, considerably more than I did for my JK, take it in several times over manny months and then be told it’s a “Jeep Thing”. I know otherwise and my JL is proof of that.

You are absolutely correct about voting with our money, though. Not a penny of the cost of fixing the “Jeep Thing” in my JL went to FCA. Despite the fact that I really like my JL, now, look forward to driving it and keeping it for quite a while, I will not buy another FCA vehicle. That’s my vote.

00slap

First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 billet silver Rubicon
I have owned my jeep for 16 months now and still waiting for a definitive fix so i can spend my money on it since i got hit with the "working as intended" at my dealer.

Incredible.

znakos

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
My adjustments so far.
Yours sounds a lot like my issue. How long have you driven after resetting the fuse? I too thought this cured my problem at first but it really was more of a placebo effect. If you're running a stock track bar I highly suggest upgrading. It sounds like your axle is off centered how mine was before I put on the Yeti track bar. Toss on an aftermarket track bar and have a shop make sure your axle is properly centered. I also have a 2020 Unlimited Sport S.
Sponsored