Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
I can't find a good online reference right now, but the knobby BFG KO2 tires on the Rubicon (and other knobby tires) are normal to feel a little loose in the steering at some speeds. They do not contact the pavement in the same way a regular road tire does. Lowering the pressure a little forces more outside contact, but may eventually lead to irregular wear. The stock tires on the Sahara are much more suitable for full-time road use.
tires.JPG

This is not the best image, but a clear difference between the Sahara on the left and Rubicon on the right.
Sponsored

ocluzie

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Q7, Honda CRV
I test drove the Sahara jl last week. After going into the car with a big hopeful smile, I got a scare around 40 miles per hour by the wondering of the car. From the left to the right, non stop, all the way back to dealership. I got used to it by the time I got back, but it was a shock. Also around the same speed the hardtop started to whistle louder and louder. I have to say I am disappointed. I love the design and the off road abilities of the Wrangler, but this is too much to overlook. I hope it is the tire pressure or alignment, but it’s not my car so can’t touch it. I’ll try a Rubicon in a few weeks to see if better. If the JL is a big improvement, I’m scared to think how the JK drives...

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I test drove the Sahara jl last week. After going into the car with a big hopeful smile, I got a scare around 40 miles per hour by the wondering of the car. From the left to the right, non stop, all the way back to dealership. I got used to it by the time I got back, but it was a shock. Also around the same speed the hardtop started to whistle louder and louder. I have to say I am disappointed. I love the design and the off road abilities of the Wrangler, but this is too much to overlook. I hope it is the tire pressure or alignment, but it’s not my car so can’t touch it. I’ll try a Rubicon in a few weeks to see if better. If the JL is a big improvement, I’m scared to think how the JK drives...
Don't waste your time with a Rubicon. I can tell from what you wrote that a Jeep, with a solid axle, and built for off road is not for you. Yes you do need a bit more steering input while driving, a little bit. Your description makes it sound like it was all over the road as if it was out of control. As you said you got a scare! The Rubicon has larger tires that are also more aggressive for off road so it will not drive any better than what you experienced.

Seriously with your test drive experience you should just walk away as this is not the vehicle for you. You are not going to have a solid frame on live axles drive like a uni-body independent suspension car.

ocluzie

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Q7, Honda CRV
This was my first time driving a Wrangler, which is why I was surprised and a bit scared by the wandering. But to clarify, the Jeep was not out of control, and, as I mentioned, by the time I got back to the dealership I got used to correcting the direction. I still hope the wandering can be improved by adjustments though, it just felt too much to be normal.

The Z

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab, 2013 Toyota Sienna, 2003 4 Winds 5000 Motorhome
I have had my Rubicon JLU for almost a week now and I think if anything I would describe the steering as unique feel but real tight not any play at all. My wife agrees with me and she loves driving it her only complaint is getting in and out of it. I was worried never driving a wrangler before and ordering a Rubicon but it far exceeded my expectations in quietness, ride and comfort. Its plain fun to drive just cruising with it. Plenty of power too. I seen a thread about someone complaining not enough power its not a sports car. When I forget to turn the auto start stop off though can feel a slight shim when engine starts coming off the break that is annoying then I remember push the disable button I will get better at it or I will pull that hood sensor! LOL

Sponsored

schneidvegas

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Absolutely! I can’t trust my wrangler to drive in a straight line. I came from a bmw so I assumed I was just so used to that steering that anything else felt terrible. My wrangler feels like I have a 6 inch lift and 35s on it already.

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
I test drove the Rubicon 2 week’s ago, only about 10 miles, but my first comment to the salesman was “the steering feels loose”.
First day with my rubicon on highway speeds. Agreed, steering loose. I did sway from lanes also. My car tire pressure showed 39.

FireWire

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram EcoDiesel, Polaris RZR900, 2018 JL Sport S
I have test drove 2 JKs in the past and didn't like the steering for the same reason. Just a few days ago, I drove a JL. Same thing. So I guess thats the way a Jeep is. I don't like it but hope to get used to it. My Ram is nice and tight.

Sponsored

tcadaniel

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi
My Rubi floats all over the road compared to anything built in the last decade. That being said, I've gotten used to it and now kinda like it. It's nice to drive something retro. Plus, I think a tighter steering would make it a little squirrely if you needed to make an abrupt turn.

citzen z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Liberty (Daily Driver), 2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Amateur Astrophysicist and new Jeep Enthusiast
forgive this question but I thought they only put steering stabilizers on vehicles with oversize tires. would it still be necessary with 17 inch tires?

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
Nice, been waiting for this. This will likely be one of my first mods. Although will wait to hear some reviews first.
So this is tighter I guess than factory?

Brandonjjon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE (Granite)
So this is tighter I guess than factory?

Taken from the product page:
Steering stabilizers are designed to restrain "bump steer" and front end vibration, giving added life to tires, ball joints, and other steering components.

• Improves control and handling.
  • Reduces tie rod and ball joint wear and tear.
I like the idea of it, but have never used one personally as this will be my first wrangler. Seems to be a cheap upgrade especially if you plan on running larger tires.

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
My Rubi hasn't arrived yet, but I test drove one at the dealer and I didn't notice any difference from my old JKU which had 33"s on 15" rims.

Vehicles with large tires tend to have more play on the steering wheel due to the larger flex on the side walls of the tires. The larger the distance between the rims and the treads, the more flex it'll have.
Sponsored