Sponsored

Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Adjusting the steering box has been mentioned several times since back in 2018 and 2019, and even before on JKs. Some stated they were successful but didn’t follow up if it was a successful long term fix or if it made things worse later on. The steering Star case mentions that it is not adjustable, I think because once the Loctite thread locker is broken, it can’t be reapplied since the threads are inside the steering box. The steering pump is supposed to take up the slack so there shouldn’t be a need to adjust the steering box. If there is eventually a software update that makes the steering pump stronger, and the steering box was adjusted to be tighter, then steering could lock up.

June 2018 reference example to adjusting the steering box

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/post-235040

Last edited:

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious, has anyone installed the synergy sector shaft brace and experienced no improvement in looseness or dead spot?
Seems like I saw a post or two with no difference or weren't sure.

Sponsored

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
Adjusting the steering box has been mentioned several times since back in 2018 and 2019, and even before on JKs. Some stated they were successful but didn’t follow up if it was a successful long term fix or if it made things worse later on...
there have been some reports that it loosened back up relatively quickly, but I drove on an AD box with 1/4 turn adjustment for a year without noticing any change. and here is an 8 month success story (there are many more):
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/post-1149544

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
So there are 411 pages/6181 posts on this steering problem on JL's on this forum alone. Surely FCA is following all this.

Yet FCA -- Jeep hasn't presented a solution. Blows my mind. Our Jeep dealer's doors are shut. I'm concerned.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Adjusting the steering box has been mentioned several times since back in 2018 and 2019, and even before on JKs. Some stated they were successful but didn’t follow up if it was a successful long term fix or if it made things worse later on. The steering Star case mentions that it is not adjustable, I think because once the Loctite thread locker is broken, it can’t be reapplied since the threads are inside the steering box. The steering pump is supposed to take up the slack so there shouldn’t be a need to adjust the steering box. If there is eventually a software update that makes the steering pump stronger, and the steering box was adjusted to be tighter, then steering could lock up.

June 2018 reference example to adjusting the steering box

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/post-235040
Thanks. That makes sense. I've looked at the steering box; haven't adjusted a thing.

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
Thanks. That makes sense. I've looked at the steering box; haven't adjusted a thing.
FYI - I notice the linked post doesn't mention that red loctite is usually applied to the threads of the locknut at the factory. you need to heat the locknut with a microbutane torch (or other heat source) for 45-60 seconds before trying to turn the adjuster or you risk stripping the adjuster head.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
FYI - I notice the linked post doesn't mention that red loctite is usually applied to the threads of the locknut at the factory. you need to heat the locknut with a microbutane torch (or other heat source) for 45-60 seconds before trying to turn the adjuster or you risk stripping the adjuster head.
In this day and age I've decided not to touch my steering box; I appreciate your information. Back about 1972 I adjusted steering boxes on volvos I had. It was easy. Do it slowly (minor adjustments) no problem. It took up the steering slack in my Volvos.

Good post. Thanks

Last edited:

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
In this day and age I've decided not to touch my steering box; I appreciate your information. Back about 1972 I adjusted steering boxes on volvos I had. It was easy. Do it slowly (minor adjustments) nob problem. It took up the steering slack in my Volvos.

Good post. Thanks
What? A vehicle other than Jeep had steering issues?

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
What? A vehicle other than Jeep had steering issues?
"It's a VOLVO thing!" ;)

(Our Jeep dealer said, "It's a JEEP thing....." )

Last edited:

Jeepileptic

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2016 Fisher-Price Jeep Frozen Edition

Jeepileptic

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2016 Fisher-Price Jeep Frozen Edition
Funny you mention Volvo’s... On my wife’s XC90 there is an option in the center display/radio that lets you increase or decrease the heaviness of the steering. Maybe Jeep should add this option... The only difference would be the description. The options would go from Driveable, to Holy Sh#^

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Funny you mention Volvo’s... On my wife’s XC90 there is an option in the center display/radio that lets you increase or decrease the heaviness of the steering. Maybe Jeep should add this option... The only difference would be the description. The options would go from Driveable, to Holy Sh#^
Jeep has that option on the Grand Cherokee, my wife’s 2020 you can do that on
Sponsored