Sponsored

Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
I did similar as you, but went one step further - Installed PSC SK500 hydraulic steering system. 100% perfect now. Went from 2-3" of dead space to zero.
I actually have the PSC SK500 but am nervous that if it doesn't fix the problem, then I'm SOL since I'll have to remove it if I go through arbitration. At that point, I'm close to $4k into fixing a Jeep out of my pocket that shouldn't have this problem to begin with.
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I did similar as you, but went one step further - Installed PSC SK500 hydraulic steering system. 100% perfect now. Went from 2-3" of dead space to zero.
No one wants to hear it but I really think this is THE only FINAL solution. The factory system just has too many potential flaws or wildcards for me to ever believe it'll never experience problems.

The only problem my '19 has experienced is the random locking up turning left when cold, but since I want hydro assist anyway the PSC kit kills several birds with one stone. For those who are stock, I agree it seems like overkill, but welcome to modern FCA engineering

jeepthang

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
that’s what the sector brace does. it reinforces the frame where the steering box mounts and then has a retaining clamp that secures the steering box to the frame.
in many cases it really helps
i can’t say whether it helped me since I wont get out on the streets until tomorrow morning.
Any update Rdmitch?

ripler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I have a JTR and bought my wife a JLU a few weeks ago. I don't have the steering issues on either vehicle. My JTR does feel like it wanders a little bit, but I attribute it to the factory mud tires, by no means does it feel dangerous.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have a JTR and bought my wife a JLU a few weeks ago. I don't have the steering issues on either vehicle. My JTR does feel like it wanders a little bit, but I attribute it to the factory mud tires, by no means does it feel dangerous.
What tires do both of your vehicles have?

Sponsored

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
you guys with varying looseness... the play in my steering wheel varies strongly with ambient temperature. about 1/4" end-to-end play at 30F up to 3/4" at 70+F. if it's cold out, you can feel the play increase as it warms up. it took me a while to realize this. I blame poor materials choice in the steering box.
My 2020 Rubicon is the exact opposite of this. Below 70 or so there is 3/4- 1 inch dead zone in the center, above 70 it steers like a go cart, tight and very responsive.

kkarnage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392, 2020 JLUR, 2015 JKR
Occupation
Retired
Out of curiosity, is the steering box mounting point on the JK reinforced?
Took a quick look, and it doesn't look like it. I will, however, say that my general impression is that there is just a lot more actual steel in the JK frame. I realize that materials have come on quite a bit since the JK was designed, and that the JL is using newer, and apparently stronger steel, but from the work I've done on my JL so far, the frame elements just feel thinner and less solid overall.

COBoarder

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Ocean Blue
Just out of curiosity, has anyone experienced any difference in the steering tightness when your AC is on? I've been using mine quite a bit this week and seems as though it has an effect on the heaviness feel which I certainly prefer. Not sure if the additional load on the engine when the condensing pump is on has anything to do with the electric assist. You would think it would be opposite. I'm more and more convinced that 75% of the complaints of loose steering is related to the damn electronic assist calibrations.
I see a difference in the steering tightness when 4-Auto is engaged. I have a JLUS with Selc-Trac.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Took a quick look, and it doesn't look like it. I will, however, say that my general impression is that there is just a lot more actual steel in the JK frame. I realize that materials have come on quite a bit since the JK was designed, and that the JL is using newer, and apparently stronger steel, but from the work I've done on my JL so far, the frame elements just feel thinner and less solid overall.
The JL frame is UHS (ultra high strength steel) the JK was mild steel. The material the JL frame is made out of is right around 980MPA and the JK was around 560MPA. The JL frame can be considerably thinner and it’s also considerably stronger. One issue is the higher MPA does not like heat, so when Jeep owners do what they normally do as in cut and weld on the frames it can significantly change the strength of the frame.

Sponsored

kkarnage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392, 2020 JLUR, 2015 JKR
Occupation
Retired
The JL frame is UHS (ultra high strength steel) the JK was mild steel. The material the JL frame is made out of is right around 980MPA and the JK was around 560MPA. The JL frame can be considerably thinner and it’s also considerably stronger. One issue is the higher MPA does not like heat, so when Jeep owners do what they normally do as in cut and weld on the frames it can significantly change the strength of the frame.
Fascinating, thank you for that! So, you mention the higher MPA and heat: does this not also result in the "strength" of the material being different at different temperatures? So, for example, would the strength of the material around where the steering box is mounted change to any significant degree once it goes from ambient to warmer? Temperatures around there get pretty warm, but not cutting and welding warm, so I'm guessing the answer is probably no?

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Fascinating, thank you for that! So, you mention the higher MPA and heat: does this not also result in the "strength" of the material being different at different temperatures? So, for example, would the strength of the material around where the steering box is mounted change to any significant degree once it goes from ambient to warmer? Temperatures around there get pretty warm, but not cutting and welding warm, so I'm guessing the answer is probably no?
You can heat the frame to around 750 for a few minutes before it starts to change the structure of the steel. Unless you were driving through a pile of burning charcoal or something under normal conditions you wouldn’t see enough heat to do anything.

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
My 2020 Rubicon is the exact opposite of this. Below 70 or so there is 3/4- 1 inch dead zone in the center, above 70 it steers like a go cart, tight and very responsive.
I have read all 6000+ posts in this thread and this is a first... only FCA could design such a system.

Jeepileptic

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2016 Fisher-Price Jeep Frozen Edition
Just curious, has anyone installed the synergy sector shaft brace and experienced no improvement in looseness or dead spot?

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I haven‘t posted in this thread in a while. I am loving my replacement ‘20 Recon.

Hubby and I were curious as to the caster because it feels the slightest bit like there’s a bit of flightines (my husband notices it more than I do). I thought it was interesting that the caster on my ‘20 is exactly the same as it was on my ‘19—4.7*. Also interesting is that the toe on the ‘20 was way off, just like it was in my ‘19. Toe was -.03 and .35. WTH, FCA?!

My ‘20 drives straight and has very little play—what I’d expect from a Jeep. I don’t notice it when driving. It also returns to center much better than my ‘19.

I had purchased some adjustable LCAs for my ‘19, just in case I lost arbitration. We’re going to put them on my Jeep. I also still have the Yeti track bar and Falcon 2.2 stabilizer that well put on eventually.

The alignment specs on the two Jeeps were the same yet the ‘20 steers so much better. Hmmmm
Sponsored