Sponsored

Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I posted it on March 6.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/post-1044245

This Star case is interesting. I know it says intermittent steering effort, but a constant weak ground connection could cause a constant lower voltage to be sent to the power steering component causing loose steering. Perhaps one of the forum members who has multiple JLs, one with steering issues and one without could use a voltmeter and compare. Many of us have found finger tight ball joint nuts, loose fuses, etc. so it wouldn’t be surprising to find a loose ground wire. So those with loose steering might want to check to see if the ground is at least tight, then clean it per the Star case.

C77F4620-E177-4600-A9EF-E23ECE76EFF1.jpeg

A668DA34-6EE2-4E40-BE11-6051955DD664.jpeg
Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
It's a column issue.. not surprised. There are soft bushings in the column.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
It's a column issue.. not surprised. There are soft bushings in the column.
then why doesn’t it effect all JLs if it’s a matter of soft bushings ?

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
then why doesn’t it effect all JLs if it’s a matter of soft bushings ?
Agreed.. there is an issue with the powerwagon due to the soft rubber bushings in the column but yes you're correct. My JL steering is tight as a drum.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
So if it comes down to the Steering Gear Box, and some work great, while others are terrible, it ends up being a quality control for some defective parts internally ? So, its basically hit or miss ?....Although I have also read that some of the JLs start out with NO issues at all and after about 5000 miles (I may be incorrect on the mileage) they then start to have issues...

I'd also be interested if someone had a service manager at some dealership that was willing to update the new AE box and if it doesn't fix the issue, try another (different AE Box) and keep trying different ones, until they locate an AE Box with NO issues....IF THAT takes care of ALL steering issues, and nothing else is changed, there is the proof .....THEN maybe the internal parts could be examined and corrected/updated so that the newest ones have NO faulty parts internally.

It does seem that there are or at least were some issues with the initial quality of the track bars/bushings.... I think all current assembly line JLs have THOSE parts upgraded which helps isolate the issue.....

With 2 JLs that are fresh off the assembly line, SAME vehicle (model/options, etc) with ALL the current TSBs and newest model (upgraded) parts from the recalls, If one has NO steering issues and the other is terrible, I'd love to see JUST the Steering Gear Boxes SWAPPED and then drive them again......
Steering box.....there's a thread on the gladiator forum where the poster's steering problems were fixed when the box was replaced. It was the 4th try. He was persistent.

Question--has anyone adjusted the steering box? In a JLU 2 L turbo?

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Problem solved. See post 63 in this thread from the Gladiator forum

New steering box cured his steering issues.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/bad-steering-box-68418449ae.27730/page-5
A new steering box fixed some JLs steering issues and not others. Some in this thread have tried new steering boxes and saw no improvement but then found other fixes such as tightening loose ball joints, loose trackbar, etc. Some reported the TSB about the software flash update fixed it. A few have reported success with the power steering reset technique. There are many other cures throughout this thread as well.

MuddyTJ

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2DR
Updated Fuse Technique

Some have reported this fixed a few different steering issues such as the dead spot, loose steering, pulling, etc.

1. With the JL off, remove F34 power steering fuse.

2. Start the JL, notice no power steering by turning the steering wheel and dash message error appears. Do not drive it.

3. Turn off engine. Open driver door and close it so it completely turns off all dash lights. Let it sit for at least 5 minutes so all electronics fully discharge.

4. Reinsert F34 fuse, start engine, immediately turn steering wheel full left, full right, turn to center, turn engine off. Restart and take for a test drive.
Hello - new member here, just picked up a new 2019 JL 2D last week and had a definite case of the loose steering with about a 3-4 inch dead zone. Could feel it around town, but on the highway was a handful. The fuse technique above FIXED THE ISSUE COMPLETELY. You guys are awesome for posting this.

A few details: 2019 JL 2D 2.0L with build date 7/19 (probably one of the last 2019's) with an AE revision steering box. Before the fix, felt like the wheel would move, but none to minimal tire deflection near center, once about 2 inches off center the power steering would "kick in" and you would immediately get more than expected tire deflection. Obviously on the highway this would require constant left/right sawing at the wheel. Followed the steps above and after the "turn to center" in step 4, the wheel shifted a bit on its own as something was recalibrated. Restarted and drives great. Had my daughter drive it after and also said it was night and day - and she was scared to drive it even around the block previously. Cancelling my service visit scheduled for this Thursday and will communicate this to the service manager. Thanks all.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
A new steering box fixed some JLs steering issues and not others. Some in this thread have tried new steering boxes and saw no improvement but then found other fixes such as tightening loose ball joints, loose trackbar, etc. Some reported the TSB about the software flash update fixed it. A few have reported success with the power steering reset technique. There are many other cures throughout this thread as well.
Hello - new member here, just picked up a new 2019 JL 2D last week and had a definite case of the loose steering with about a 3-4 inch dead zone. Could feel it around town, but on the highway was a handful. The fuse technique above FIXED THE ISSUE COMPLETELY. You guys are awesome for posting this.

A few details: 2019 JL 2D 2.0L with build date 7/19 (probably one of the last 2019's) with an AE revision steering box. Before the fix, felt like the wheel would move, but none to minimal tire deflection near center, once about 2 inches off center the power steering would "kick in" and you would immediately get more than expected tire deflection. Obviously on the highway this would require constant left/right sawing at the wheel. Followed the steps above and after the "turn to center" in step 4, the wheel shifted a bit on its own as something was recalibrated. Restarted and drives great. Had my daughter drive it after and also said it was night and day - and she was scared to drive it even around the block previously. Cancelling my service visit scheduled for this Thursday and will communicate this to the service manager. Thanks all.
MuddyTJ and californiajeeping thanks for your posts.

I really really want to solve this problem in our JLU.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks. Your post is helpful.

Followed those....had some service visits too. Our Jeep store is closed, due to Covid-19. No service. No sales. Did tire pressure first. Damper was checked by the Jeep store.

JEEP CARES ?

Sponsored

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS

Followed those....had some service visits too. Our Jeep store is closed, due to Covid-19. No service. No sales. Did tire pressure first. Damper was checked by the Jeep store.

JEEP CARES ?
Jeep Cares won't do diddly. They'll make dealer appointments for you and that's about it. In many cases, I believe, they alert dealers how to proceed before you arrive. I'm pretty sure that's what happened in my case.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

JEEP CARES ?
What specific steering symptom(s) does your JL have and what DIY remedies have you done so far to fix it? Tire pressure check? Power steering reset via fuse? Let us know and maybe the forum can help.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
What specific steering symptom(s) does your JL have and what DIY remedies have you done so far to fix it? Tire pressure check? Power steering reset via fuse? Let us know and maybe the forum can help.
Side question... is there any harm in trying the fuse reset? I would assume not. Just curious.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Side question... is there any harm in trying the fuse reset? I would assume not. Just curious.
Shouldn’t be because if a dead battery or bad fuse is replaced, it would cause the same reset to occur. But if someone adjusted the steering box to make steering tighter, and the fuse reset was applied and takes up the slack, then it could be a problem. And that same steering box scenario would happen if the battery goes dead or a bad fuse is replaced.
Sponsored