Sponsored

Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I replaced my drag link with a Synergy over a year ago on my '18. The tie rod at the pitman arm failed. It had lateral movement as well as making a popping noise. The dealer refused to replace it, they said it was normal. I also replaced the track bar with a JKS adjustable. The factory one had way too much movement. The dealer refused to replace that one as well, even after Jeep updated it with a stiffer bushing.

I'm happy to say, it drives great. I haven't complained since then. There still is the dead spot, but it tracks straight and very stable.

This is exactly my issue. I am now noticing uneven tire wear. Did you notice it as well?
Sponsored

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
This is exactly my issue. I am now noticing uneven tire wear. Did you notice it as well?
No uneven tire wear. I made sure the wheels were aligned. Took several attempts over time.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
The only thing that can really cause uneven tire wear is toe. Camber would only be if you bent your axle housing and caster doesn't really affect tire wear.

The other thing that MIGHT affect tire wear -- and I honestly don't know FOR SURE -- is if one of your axles is not centered causing the vehicle to crab-walk. Presumably this might affect tire wear, but I'm not sure it'd be that significant

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The only thing that can really cause uneven tire wear is toe. Camber would only be if you bent your axle housing and caster doesn't really affect tire wear.

The other thing that MIGHT affect tire wear -- and I honestly don't know FOR SURE -- is if one of your axles is not centered causing the vehicle to crab-walk. Presumably this might affect tire wear, but I'm not sure it'd be that significant
Right. MY jeep is stock and has 4500 miles. only 3,000 on the new tires. Getting alignment this weekend. Ill post back esp on toe.

Prioritypest

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 2019 Land Rover Discovery 2020 Jeep Willys
Add mine to the list of steering issues, 2020 Willys with 50 miles on it, goes in for service this Wednesday. Its a damn shame as it took me weeks to convince my wife we needed a jeep.
willys 2.jpg

Sponsored

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Ok folks... Just got the Synergy drag link and RK Tbar installed this weekend. Initial thoughts are that the steering is almost perfect. Much tighter and repsonsive like my old JKU. I still get a small bump after huge road imperfections. Best $ i ever spent. Next may be the Synergy brace just to get the final "wobble" out.
Will drive more on the worst roads and report back. Toe in was 1/16"

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
This issue of sloppy steering in our JL's and the gladiator is being discussed on the gladiator forum.

One member there has had 4 steering boxes. The final one solved his problem.

Here's a link; check post #63

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...ering-box-68418449ae.27730/page-5#post-498138

Separately I watched a video of a black JLU in a German review (I'll try and find a link) and the JLU tracked absolutely perfectly at excessive speed.

JDM

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
This issue of sloppy steering in our JL's and the gladiator is being discussed on the gladiator forum.

One member there has had 4 steering boxes. The final one solved his problem.

Here's a link; check post #63

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...ering-box-68418449ae.27730/page-5#post-498138

Separately I watched a video of a black JLU in a German review (I'll try and find a link) and the JLU tracked absolutely perfectly at excessive speed.
I’ve had my JL for just over 2 years now and 58,000K/36,900mi. The comments about the steering box confirm to me that the components are produced with very poor quality control. Explains why some are “good” and others have issues.

IMO there are two issues: 1. Steering box/system (usually a dead spot of varying size) and 2. the steering linkage and axle linkage.

I’ve had almost all of the front end linkage replaced and the shocks as well. I didn’t have to do all of what I did to eliminate the death wobble but as I replaced components the difference that each successive change made in specific areas of handling was well beyond expectations. That’s what kept me going.

A couple of weeks ago I replaced the front LCA’s with adjustable LCA’s as I wanted to see what additional positive caster would do. I put on Clayton Overlanders. Most of the driving I do is on highways. I did go off road last year and now I’m hooked so this year I’ll be doing more.

The stock setting was 5* positive. Just replacing the LCA’s with no additional caster made more of a difference than I expected. I chalk that up to the bushings and rigidity of the Clayton LCA’s. Next I had it aligned and the caster was set to 7*L/7.4*R (some cross caster). I’m on Grabber ATx 265 70 R18 tires. With all the changes to the linkage and shocks this JL is solid, stable and true on the road. Now with the Clayton adjustable LCA,s it’s at an entirely different level. Think of this as rally type handling on high speed turns on the HWY and on city street corners, precise and it just sticks! With a Wrangler?!?!

The LCA’s and caster adjustment also made a difference on the characteristics of the dead spot (issue 1. box/steering) It’s still there and I will be fixing that next but now it’s much, much smaller, not felt as often and I’m not in a rush to change the steering system now.

I could have spent the last two years fighting with the dealer and FCA or spent the money as I did and enjoying my ride. Glad I did the latter and so much for “well ya know, it’s a Jeep thing”!

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
And lets face it, the way most members here have adjusted theirs does not provide a good way to know when the gears clearance is too little or forced together.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm on the fence on this. Once I installed aftermarket trackbar and tightened the steering box, no steering damper was needed. On my JLUR, the trackbar was the largest (90+%) offender and the Yeti Pro trackbar made a huge improvement. The little shimmy I had at 65+ mph when hitting bumps in the road, disappeared altogether, even without any steering damper. Steering dampers have their function, but it's a secondary protection from shimmy/Death Wobble once things begin to wear out and get loose, in my opinion. I re-installed my 2018 OEM steering damper and all is well.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Something to throw out there as I am wondering if anyone else is possibly seeing this...

Have been working from home and not driving hardly at all. Noticed that my usual 13.4-13.6 V readings on the dash when I do get out has been reading 14.4-14.8 V lately.

with this came some sloppy steering feel all of the sudden. This is electric assist, correct? I am trying to see if anyone else is feeling this. My steering was pretty good overall, maybe 1/2” of play either way. But out of nowhere this seems to have gotten worse and wandering is a harder thing to control now.

So with that battery voltage up, most likely due to charging the batteries and possibly stealing the draw of power the electric assist needs, maybe voltage for the system is another thing to look at for these issues?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Something to throw out there as I am wondering if anyone else is possibly seeing this...

Have been working from home and not driving hardly at all. Noticed that my usual 13.4-13.6 V readings on the dash when I do get out has been reading 14.4-14.8 V lately.

with this came some sloppy steering feel all of the sudden. This is electric assist, correct? I am trying to see if anyone else is feeling this. My steering was pretty good overall, maybe 1/2” of play either way. But out of nowhere this seems to have gotten worse and wandering is a harder thing to control now.

So with that battery voltage up, most likely due to charging the batteries and possibly stealing the draw of power the electric assist needs, maybe voltage for the system is another thing to look at for these issues?
The "electric steering" is an electric motor running a hydraulic pump and it feeds into a hydraulic assist steering box, just like an old engine driven hydraulic system. So, unless your steering is getting really heavy, I don't think the charging voltage change you're seeing has anything to do with your steering changing.
Sponsored