Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

Holymoly1963

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3, Wrangler JL Sport with bad steering
Not 59, not 590, but 5900 posts on Jeep's steering issues under this heading alone. Mine still sucks coming up on 2 years next month, and 8000 miles. Must just be that "damn Jeep thing" Sometimes Jeep reminds me of the mainstream media...Fake. Pretty tired of this.
Sponsored

JDM

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
The situation of passing a tractor trailer and wind buffeting was largely cured when I changed the stock shocks to Falcon SP2 2.1’s. When I say largely cured, think 90% improvement if not more. The Falcons are a digressive rate shock and may be too firm at low speeds for some. Personally I don’t find the ride at low speeds punishing just firmer. The trade off is a very tactile road feel and way better control in turns. Now the ride is what I would expect from a solid axle light truck with handling that far exceeds expectation.

This was not the only component that I had changed but the one that made the most noticeable improvement in the areas relating to wind buffeting whatever the cause. I’m about to replace the front lower control arms to ones that are adjustable so that caster can be adjusted (stock ride height) and then a PSC steering system will be installed to cure the dead spot.

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, , 2019 Honda Pilot Elite, 2014 BMW 535i Xdrive
The situation of passing a tractor trailer and wind buffeting was largely cured when I changed the stock shocks to Falcon SP2 2.1’s. When I say largely cured, think 90% improvement if not more. The Falcons are a digressive rate shock and may be too firm at low speeds for some. Personally I don’t find the ride at low speeds punishing just firmer. The trade off is a very tactile road feel and way better control in turns. Now the ride is what I would expect from a solid axle light truck with handling that far exceeds expectation.

This was not the only component that I had changed but the one that made the most noticeable improvement in the areas relating to wind buffeting whatever the cause. I’m about to replace the front lower control arms to ones that are adjustable so that caster can be adjusted (stock ride height) and then a PSC steering system will be installed to cure the dead spot.
What is your current steering stabilizer? You will be very pleased with the PSC (I have SK500) and would highly recommend an adjustable steering stabilizer like the Teraflex Falcon 2.2. Also, I have found with my caster in the +7.x range to be near perfect. Good return to center when coming out of a corner and a better over all feel. I have stock wheels, tires and standard rubicon lift.

Very please with my setup, no complaints!

JDM

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
What is your current steering stabilizer? You will be very pleased with the PSC (I have SK500) and would highly recommend an adjustable steering stabilizer like the Teraflex Falcon 2.2. Also, I have found with my caster in the +7.x range to be near perfect. Good return to center when coming out of a corner and a better over all feel. I have stock wheels, tires and standard rubicon lift.

Very please with my setup, no complaints!
The SS is a FOX 2.0 IFP with a relocation kit. What started this “journey” was a death wobble at highway speeds on a stock JLU. The dealer changed two SS, both didn’t do the trick. No surprise, so instead of messing around I decided to take matters in hand. Track bar went next, completely solved the death wobble. Interestingly the supposedly faulty updated SS was in place Whe the track bar was changed, the one that did nothing for the wobble, the track bar did. The Fox SS came after the wobble was cured. It was part of a synergy tie rod and drag link system that went on next. Each component was installed separately so that I could pin point the difference that each made. The stabilizer did make a significant difference.

I’m running Grabber ATx tires now. E rated, same diameter as stock but a little wider and heavier. With the changes that I made theres no negative effect on handling at all. Going in the same direction with caster as you have, although the way this JLU handles turns now is nothing short of amazing. Lot’s of fun! I expect more fun when the PSC system goes on.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
When it is time to replace the factory tires on a JLUR Rubicon keeping the same rims, what brand, size and ratings does everyone recommend to improve wandering? I have read on this and other threads that changing from C rated to E rated helps.

Sponsored

FlashGordon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR - Billet Silver, 2017 Grand Cherokee Altitude
New Jeep looks great. Glad you are happy with it. If you happen to get a chance can you look at your steering box and see what part number it is. AE is the newest version that I am aware of. I have a 2020 Rubicon that has been to the dealer multiple times and had parts thrown at it. Still all over the road and dead spot in wheel . Awful to drive. I keep hoping a new box is coming out with hopes it will resolve the issue. Thanks
Just took delivery on JLUR that shipped from factory and part does end in "AE". 68250506AE. Limited city driving but steering wasn't alarming "yet".

20200413_202350.jpg

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
When it is time to replace the factory tires on a JLUR Rubicon keeping the same rims, what brand, size and ratings does everyone recommend to improve wandering? I have read on this and other threads that changing from C rated to E rated helps.
I don't see how. On a JL a Load Range E is considerable overkill. And there should be no reason a C would cause excessive wandering, particularly when trying to go straight. An E might theoretically have less sidewall deflection when cornering, but a lot of variables come in.

My Rubi drove great on the stock BFG's, and drives great on 38" Pats (also Load Range C)

05RUMBLE

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2004 SRT 10 Ram 2018 Chev LTZ HD
Just took delivery on JLUR that shipped from factory and part does end in "AE". 68250506AE. Limited city driving but steering wasn't alarming "yet".

20200413_202350.jpg
Thanks for posting the pic. Glad to hear yours is driving good. Confirms they are still using the same steering box for now.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L

Sponsored

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Anyone replaced the drag link with a Synergy or better and had the wobble/shudder or any other issues go away?
I stopped by a local offroad shop, which are very knowledgeable, stating they have replaced 40 drag links on brand new JLU Jeeps. They also said they have seen newly replaced drag links from the dealers only last 800 miles. Maybe on to something here. Stopped by a different shop and they told me to balance my tires, lmao.

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
I replaced my drag link with a Synergy over a year ago on my '18. The tie rod at the pitman arm failed. It had lateral movement as well as making a popping noise. The dealer refused to replace it, they said it was normal. I also replaced the track bar with a JKS adjustable. The factory one had way too much movement. The dealer refused to replace that one as well, even after Jeep updated it with a stiffer bushing.

I'm happy to say, it drives great. I haven't complained since then. There still is the dead spot, but it tracks straight and very stable.
Sponsored