Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
Have other people tried this with any success ?
Sponsored

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
This Star case is interesting. I know it says intermittent steering effort, but a constant weak ground connection could cause a constant lower voltage to be sent to the power steering component causing loose steering. Perhaps one of the forum members who has multiple JLs, one with steering issues and one without could use a voltmeter and compare. Many of us have found finger tight ball joint nuts, loose fuses, etc. so it wouldn’t be surprising to find a loose ground wire. So those with loose steering might want to check to see if the ground is at least tight, then clean it per the Star case.

C77F4620-E177-4600-A9EF-E23ECE76EFF1.jpeg

A668DA34-6EE2-4E40-BE11-6051955DD664.jpeg
Now this is interesting! Do you have a link for that particular star case so I can zoom in and see where those grounds are? I really want to go check them because I've been noticing a variability in my steering response when I enter a turn. I'd bet a loose or bad ground could be the culprit.

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, , 2019 Honda Pilot Elite, 2014 BMW 535i Xdrive
The PSC kit has fixed many of our Jeeps. Ragtop is the only one I know of to date that it didn’t. Could be something else wrong with hers.
Agreed. I am happy as a pig in $#&@ with how mine is driving with PSC, Teraflex adjustable stabilzer and adjustable lower control arms to get the caster at +7.x.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
See post below from another thread. Does anyone know if there is a way to diagnose if the older original currently installed intermediate shaft is causing the looseness? I asked the original poster but They haven’t replied.

FFB2096F-E49C-4B04-BA07-FEC218B5C929.jpeg

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Has anyone tried unlocking the steering column lever then move the steering wheel full left full right several times telescope it forward and back several times then lock it back? Of course do this with the JL on and in park.

Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Just wondering. When you say "returns to center". I have a 2020 JLUR. Yes, its a little loose but nothing like what I have read in this thread. But, if I make a turn into a driveway, it will return a little on its own but I have to actually steer it to center. Unlike my ram 1500 for example, I loosen my grip on the wheel and it returns to center on its own. The Jeep may return some on its own but I have to do the rest. Something I've had to get used to.
Mine is just like yours. The steering is.. actually a little better than the steering in my JK was, *except* for that coming back to center thing. It makes switching between the Jeep and our family car a bit amusing sometimes.

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, , 2019 Honda Pilot Elite, 2014 BMW 535i Xdrive
Mine is just like yours. The steering is.. actually a little better than the steering in my JK was, *except* for that coming back to center thing. It makes switching between the Jeep and our family car a bit amusing sometimes.
I totally lost my return to center after PSC install with Caster at Jeep specs. The installer never indicated I needed to increase positive caster as he did not read the PSC manual. After getting adjustable LCAs, I put the caster up to +6 first, return to center was solid, but wanted a bit more heaviness in steering so I went to +7.5.

Play with the caster and your return to center should improve.

JDM

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
Agreed. I am happy as a pig in $#&@ with how mine is driving with PSC, Teraflex adjustable stabilzer and adjustable lower control arms to get the caster at +7.x.
Did you install the PK1880 pump kit or the Big Bore without the hydro assist?

Sponsored

Encycloman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Retired Scientist/Metallurgy
I was wondering about that, too.

(Sorry for the multiple replies, the multi-quote wasn’t working.)
My JL's steering issues were in the gearbox itself. 5 trips to the dealer did no good. After discovering there was an aftermarket HYDRAULIC steering replacement, I went with it. No more electrical problems, lots more torque, and smooth steering. No worries about electrical failure or overheating in deep mud or with larger tires.

JDM

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
My JL's steering issues were in the gearbox itself. 5 trips to the dealer did no good. After discovering there was an aftermarket HYDRAULIC steering replacement, I went with it. No more electrical problems, lots more torque, and smooth steering. No worries about electrical failure or overheating in deep mud or with larger tires.
I’m with you on that! I ordered adjustable LCAs and probably will order the PSX Big Bore by the end of the month for the same reasons and a reduction of heat under the hood. As far as the fuel mileage my JK was better anyway, not by much. Not that I”m complaining in that respect because I like the performance of the 3.6/8 speed tranny much more than the JK.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I’m having my PSC Overlander kit removed from my Jeep on the 23rd and will be selling it.

MtnDew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tacoma
I’m new to the forum. Registered after doing research the past few weeks. Guess I can add my 2 cents to this thread.

I was all set to order a 2020 JLUR. Went to some local dealers and test drove two of them. I thought the steering felt a little strange compared to my 2014 Tacoma. It was like a big dead spot between 11 o’clock and 1 o’clock. Turn the steering wheel a few inches before the wheels would start turning. I thought I was imaging things until I got home and googled it...ran across this thread.

Needless to say I’m pretty disappointed and won’t be placing an order for a while or even at all this year based on how the test drives went. Have to see how all this plays out first. I didn’t even drive at highway speeds on my test drive today but can imagine it would feel like a disaster at 70mph with that much movement in the steering wheel.

How hard can it be to just have nice tight steering?
Sponsored