Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
So just got my jeep back from the dealership. The regional tech drove it today and he concluded that it drives as designed. I also asked my case manager at jeep about the next steps and he said this is the end.

So i guess i am stuck with the loose steering atleast for 2 more years.

Does anyone know what can be done next? Like filing for lemon law in Jersey is what i im thinking to do next. I cannot trade it in right now.
Damn. I’m sorry to hear that.

You can file for arbitration here: https://www.ncdsusa.org/consumers/automotive-warranty-disputes/

I won my case via arbitration. You can PM me if you have questions.
Sponsored

CherryWrangler

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Altitude

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Hey thanks for providing the link, i will start filing for arbitration tomorrow morning. Just sucks that my truck looks damn cool. Today at the car wash got so many compliments bcoz of the color but handles like a POS.
Mine, too. You’ll be able to upload your documents—receipts, etc.

I had an in-person hearing and took the arbitrator for a test drive and that helped a lot because he saw how bad it is.

Good luck!

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Mine, too. You’ll be able to upload your documents—receipts, etc.

I had an in-person hearing and took the arbitrator for a test drive and that helped a lot because he saw how bad it is.

Good luck!
hmm, interesting idea.. nice fast drive down out of the sierras by the 5000 foot drop offs.. tap the guard rail a few times and say, "these things are good in mountains right? "

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
hmm, interesting idea.. nice fast drive down out of the sierras by the 5000 foot drop offs.. tap the guard rail a few times and say, "these things are good in mountains right? "
:LOL:

We were driving up 50 to run the Deer Valley trail and turned around and went home because the loose and wandering steering was scary on that two-lane mountain road.

As for the test drive with the arbitrator, it was a short loop that included a stretch of freeway. He was grabbing onto the grab loop when I took the off-ramp.

I mentioned that to my husband, who replied, “but I always have to do that when you drive!” :CWL::CWL::CWL::CWL::CWL:

Sponsored

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
I have a very detailed and serious question for all of you that are still having steering issues...….

Have any of you put in adjustable lower control arms and put 4 degrees or more caster on your front axle? If you have, and your alignment was reasonably correct, did ALL of your issues go away?

IMHO there are two factors at work here....

#1 The JL and JT suspension was designed without enough caster in the alignment.
#2 We have a whole new generation of people driving wranglers that have never driven a solid front axle vehicle with recirculating ball steering.

-Eli

fordinajeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I have a very detailed and serious question for all of you that are still having steering issues...….

Have any of you put in adjustable lower control arms and put 4 degrees or more caster on your front axle? If you have, and your alignment was reasonably correct, did ALL of your issues go away?

#1 The JL and JT suspension was designed without enough caster in the alignment.
#2 We have a whole new generation of people driving wranglers that have never driven a solid front axle vehicle with recirculating ball steering.

-Eli
1. I have 6.1 degrees caster in the front, my alignment is spot on. (had two separate alignments done to check).
2. Been driving Jeeps for years, this is not normal.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk

-Eli
or #3 We have people on here that got a good one and haven’t driven a bad one yet to know the difference and there truly is an issue with many of them on the road.

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
1. I have 6.1 degrees caster in the front, my alignment is spot on. (had two separate alignments done to check).
2. Been driving Jeeps for years, this is not normal.
Does your steering wheel return to center properly?

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
or #3 We have people on here that got a good one and haven’t driven a bad one yet to know the difference and there truly is an issue with many of them on the road.
I never said there wasn't an issue. I did drive one that was pretty bad. It had 2 degrees of caster right off the truck. It was like trying to steer a shopping cart.

Sponsored

flightace47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Jeeps yet
I never said there wasn't an issue. I did drive one that was pretty bad. It had 2 degrees of caster right off the truck. It was like trying to steer a shopping cart.
Wait...

You’re saying there are vehicles out there that don’t even meet Jeep’s own basic caster specs for the JLUR? (4.7 or so, iirc)

My JLUR doesn’t return to center properly and also doesn’t center up on the road even if I manually center the wheel, so driving in a straight line is like a game of pinball around 1” of play in the wheel. It’s not “super” bad since the dealer changed the track bar and I aired down to 34psi, so I haven’t gotten around to checking torques or putting the LCAs I purchased around last Thanksgiving on yet. Been sort of waiting to see what’s going to happen on FCA’s part before I go modding.

Last edited:

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
That would refer to your #1. I am saying that even if your #1 is correct it doesn't fix the issue and there is actually an issue with the steering and that not all are the same.

MntsRcalln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 Dodge Ram Bighorn, 1990 Totoya 4x4 Mod
It returns to the edge of the dead spot, not full center.
Just wondering. When you say "returns to center". I have a 2020 JLUR. Yes, its a little loose but nothing like what I have read in this thread. But, if I make a turn into a driveway, it will return a little on its own but I have to actually steer it to center. Unlike my ram 1500 for example, I loosen my grip on the wheel and it returns to center on its own. The Jeep may return some on its own but I have to do the rest. Something I've had to get used to.

Encycloman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Retired Scientist/Metallurgy
This is VERY interesting news.... someone here mentioned that with the Steering Box being the new version, the electrical system is extremely important to its operation. I can see how loose fuses could cause an intermittent response when an immediate one is necessary for steering... but I am no mechanic
I heard that some of the electric steering boxes might "check out". They couldn't fix mine, but I found an aftermarket HYDRAULIC system. No electric! No drift, extra smooth operation, and more torque if I choose bigger wheels. Already had my buggy in really deep mud - and credit the new system for not failing me.
Sponsored