2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
Additionally people seem to be having luck with a new TSB..... ALSO electrical
Sponsored

MntsRcalln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 Dodge Ram Bighorn, 1990 Totoya 4x4 Mod
"I found another posting about resetting your steering, by starting your engine, then cranking your steering fully lock right...."

I remember seeing this post but cant find it. Wasn't there a special procedure to this? Would love to save it for future reference.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I installed a Teraflex Apline adjustable lower control arms today. Put them in at 1/4" longer than the Mopar 2" lift LCAs (@24.5") for an estimated +7.5 caster. Major improvement for My RedRubi. The install of the PSC SK500 hydraulic gave me very light steering. With the addition of the Teraflex Falcon 2.2 adjustable steering stabilizer and these Apline LCAs it has provided a firmer feel. All center play (PSC) and sloppiness to steering is gone.

lca1.jpg

lca2.jpg
That’s great news! I’m so glad it’s working for you!

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
For those with steering play and issues, do you have to re-learn driving when driving other vehicles?

LOL, this is funny coz I have been driving my JLUS since we bought it 3 months ago, suddenly today had to drive my bro's Grand cherokee, for the first few miles i was moving the wheel side to side because of my habit with the wrangler to keep it in line. Really appreciate driving other cars at this time. My wrangler is just parked on my driveway.
After I put my PSC steering on I about sent my JL off the road first time I went around a corner, was shocked it turned with less a 2-3” of wheel input,

Sponsored

Shawn19

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 4dr
Yeah, I’m not sure what the deal is. NHTSA is looking into it as well, the article I read brings poor welds into the steering investigation. My track bar welds looked ok according to the dealership, but there are other welds in mine that look a bit dicey. Like a misaligned part could be causing issues with the steering. That being said the word “alleged” steering issues was in that article.

I’m still working with FCA to get my problems sorted out. The holidays put me in a holding pattern the past couple of weeks.
Looks like the investigation is being taken seriously by NHTSA, they had this PDF uploaded to the investigation....asking FCA for everything to do with Welds/Steering/wobble/lockup.

Not sure how long this stuff takes but I’d hate to be the guy that would have to put that report together.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2019/INIM-PE19012-77759.pdf

Benagi

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Looks like the investigation is being taken seriously by NHTSA, they had this PDF uploaded to the investigation....asking FCA for everything to do with Welds/Steering/wobble/lockup.

Not sure how long this stuff takes but I’d hate to be the guy that would have to put that report together.

I wish those who keep saying it’s just a Jeep thing would read this letter. Great letter.

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Very interesting. You should post this info in the other steering threads as well especially the one that says loose steering is a normal thing. Out of curiosity, does anyone know how many steering complaints have been reported to the NHTSA for the JL vs how many steering complaints for the JK? Then compare the amount of complaints vs how many sold to get a percentage? Since JKs and JLs were both sold in 2018, maybe use 2017 vs 2019 data?

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Very interesting. You should post this info in the other steering threads as well especially the one that says loose steering is a normal thing. Out of curiosity, does anyone know how many steering complaints have been reported to the NHTSA for the JL vs how many steering complaints for the JK? Then compare the amount of complaints vs how many sold to get a percentage? Since JKs and JLs were both sold in 2018, maybe use 2017 vs 2019 data?
You mean like this:
Annotation 2020-02-17 072008.jpg

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Anyone else catch that the Mohave Gladiator has a cast iron steering gearbox. Things that make you go Hmm...!
Where did you see this? I read about cast iron steering knuckles, but nothing about a gearbox.

mtango54321

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Hey everyone, first time poster here... But wanted to contribute to this thread.

I've been on the fence about buying a new Jeep Rubicon this year and have been following this thread closely. This past weekend I rented a 2020 Wrangler Unlimited with only 1400 miles on it to drive for a few days before making the purchase in North Carolina.

The steering issue hasn't been resolved. While I think it's been discussed even for the 2020's, I wanted to share my experience.

I was able to turn the wheel 45+ degrees in either direction without any response from the front wheels. Driving on the highway at speeds over 40+ mph was definitely a challenge. Not only did the vehicle seem to drift/wander at these speeds, but it required a significant amount of user input to correct the steering. It was so much so, that my wife (who was riding shotgun, wanted to return it to the rental agency)

In all honesty, it was a blast to drive with the top off, and I loved that it felt like a lifted go-kart, but the wandering and excessive play in the wheel have discouraged me from buying this vehicle.

After returning the car, I went and drove a Tacoma and there was no play in the wheel or any drifting/wandering when driving. Not saying the Tacoma is better, but it was the runner up to the Jeep and was second on my list. I might go this route, unless FCA steps up to the plate. They are losing a lot of future business.
Sponsored