Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I've been to the dealer multiple times for the deadspot. I now have 35k miles on it and will be out of warranty soon (not that it would matter) . Just got it back for the last time yesterday after having a regional tech come out to drive it and.....
Once again told it drives/steers as designed and nothing will be done.

I'm so bummed about this. This is my 6th jeep and will be my last.
Sponsored

CherryWrangler

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Altitude
I've been to the dealer multiple times for the deadspot. I now have 35k miles on it and will be out of warranty soon (not that it would matter) . Just got it back for the last time yesterday after having a regional tech come out to drive it and.....

Oh man, i am now scared after your outcome, did you tell them to drive the Jeep at higher speeds?

I am also waiting for an appointment for the regional tech to come and test drive, i seriously hope they find the problem with mine.

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Oh man, i am now scared after your outcome, did you tell them to drive the Jeep at higher speeds?

I am also waiting for an appointment for the regional tech to come and test drive, i seriously hope they find the problem with mine.
Hopefully, you have better luck. Seems some dealerships/techs are more willing to agree there is a problem than others. Maybe yours is worse than mine which may also help. Someone else mentioned it in this thread and I'm feeling it is definitely the case that either dealerships don't get paid back as much for warranty work or there is some kind of max warranty work $$$ amount that dealerships can do before they get their hands slapped by FCA.

I'm really so bummed about this. I wish I never sold my '14 JKUR. My punk'n JLUR is absolutely gorgeous but I'm continually finding myself not wanting to drive it and taking my wife's car instead.

Good luck to you!

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

The "funny" thing is, they had previously agreed it wasn't right and put in a new steering gear box in 2018 but that was just as bad. It was the same part number (AC) as the one I had in it though. They had yet to come out with AD and AE. So, it drives the same, but now they are saying it drives as designed. Go figure. :headbang:

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
The "funny" thing is, they had previously agreed it wasn't right and put in a new steering gear box in 2018 but that was just as bad. It was the same part number (AC) as the one I had in it though. They had yet to come out with AD and AE. So, it drives the same, but now they are saying it drives as designed. Go figure. :headbang:
Not sure they will ever issue a proper fix (new gearbox) for the deadspot, but if they do and you are on record of complaining about it while in the warranty period, would they not have to fix it? I had something similar happen on a previous vehicle.

Guess you just need to make sure there is proper documentation that you do not believe the issue is resolved so you have half a chance.

Sponsored

Brandon3333

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
UPDATE: Well all. After some serious thinking, and some great negotiations, I am happy to report that I am taking possession of the newly ordered 2020 Rubicon Unlimited. I am/was hesitant, but I had to think - do I love having a Jeep more than a car and do I want an older Jeep or a newer one. That was really the hardest part. I finally came to my senses that I love having a Jeep. I love modifying them. I love taking the top off (just a couple more months away...), and I don't want to go back to driving a regular old car again. Yes the 2015 Jeep was every bit perfect, but it felt old, and just didn't have that great overall feeling and ride of the newer ones.
YES - I went and did a 10 mile long test drive, and yes there was some slight pulling to the right, but not nearly as much as my current one. The wheel felt stiffer then my current one and not as much play. Then the dealer offered me a great deal. I am actually getting a better discount and rate on this one then my current one...so I get a brand new one for less money and a couple of extra options.
I thought that if I am to live with this problem until a REAL fix, why not accept the offer of driving a brand new one...right? It is by no means perfect, and there is definitely a difference between the 2.0L that has NO pulling and the 3.6L that does pull...it is to the degree it pulls and this one is better.
So, I will take it and immediately schedule a service for "pulling" to get it on record immediately. This way if/when a new fix, patch, update, recall, or whatever comes out...I am set to cover my arse.

Shawn19

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 4dr
I’m not gonna lie, I’m a bit jealous @Brandon3333! May she drive straight, live long and get dirty.

Brandon3333

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Just got'er home. I am not going to lie - it pull's right. A little play..maybe an inch or so, but nothing out of the world. It doesn't shimmy, it doesn't wander all over, it just pulls a bit to the right. The pulling isn't going to deter me from enjoying the pleasure of ownership. My pulling is less severe than my previous one, and I don't feel like I am in danger in anyway...more annoying then dangerous. For the most part I can cruise straight as long as I don't take my hands off the wheel for some reason. I will live with it until they fix it, and in the meanwhile, I am going to enjoy a BRAND NEW Jeep.
RagTopDeluxe - Good luck in your decision. I will keep an eye on the forum and will continue to give updates on new attempts to resolve. Monday morning my brand new one goes into service for alignment, drag link to straighten steering wheel, and that's about it....then time to get dirty.

Sponsored

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Just got'er home. I am not going to lie - it pull's right. A little play..maybe an inch or so, but nothing out of the world. It doesn't shimmy, it doesn't wander all over, it just pulls a bit to the right. The pulling isn't going to deter me from enjoying the pleasure of ownership. My pulling is less severe than my previous one, and I don't feel like I am in danger in anyway...more annoying then dangerous. For the most part I can cruise straight as long as I don't take my hands off the wheel for some reason. I will live with it until they fix it, and in the meanwhile, I am going to enjoy a BRAND NEW Jeep.
RagTopDeluxe - Good luck in your decision. I will keep an eye on the forum and will continue to give updates on new attempts to resolve. Monday morning my brand new one goes into service for alignment, drag link to straighten steering wheel, and that's about it....then time to get dirty.
I felt the same way at first, but after 30k miles... Really after only 10k, it got so annoying I didn't want to take it on any long trips. It's the play in the wheel for me. It tracks straight for the most part until I hit a bit of a bump or groove. With the play in the wheel, there is just so much correction needed for the over corrections...im so over the over corrections!

If it weren't my DD, and I didn't take it on long trips, it would be great! But it is my DD, unfortunately.

I do hope yours is better!

Brandon3333

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
@smuddy - are you trying to get FCA to do a buy back or anything? In my situation, I felt that the pulling wasn't excessive and I could pretty much steer with one hand without constant corrections for the most part...yea...a little bit from time to time, but nothing that I would again consider dangerous. And with the deal I got, I just thought it was really the best

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Congratulations, Brandon! I hope your new Jeep takes you on many adventures!

I’ve already been in contact with Stericycle and am hoping to get things moving soon. I definitely want a Jeep because, like you, don’t want a normal car and especially can’t drive something that isn’t a convertible.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
UPDATE: Well all. After some serious thinking, and some great negotiations, I am happy to report that I am taking possession of the newly ordered 2020 Rubicon Unlimited. I am/was hesitant, but I had to think - do I love having a Jeep more than a car and do I want an older Jeep or a newer one. That was really the hardest part. I finally came to my senses that I love having a Jeep. I love modifying them. I love taking the top off (just a couple more months away...), and I don't want to go back to driving a regular old car again. Yes the 2015 Jeep was every bit perfect, but it felt old, and just didn't have that great overall feeling and ride of the newer ones.
YES - I went and did a 10 mile long test drive, and yes there was some slight pulling to the right, but not nearly as much as my current one. The wheel felt stiffer then my current one and not as much play. Then the dealer offered me a great deal. I am actually getting a better discount and rate on this one then my current one...so I get a brand new one for less money and a couple of extra options.
I thought that if I am to live with this problem until a REAL fix, why not accept the offer of driving a brand new one...right? It is by no means perfect, and there is definitely a difference between the 2.0L that has NO pulling and the 3.6L that does pull...it is to the degree it pulls and this one is better.
So, I will take it and immediately schedule a service for "pulling" to get it on record immediately. This way if/when a new fix, patch, update, recall, or whatever comes out...I am set to cover my arse.
So let me understand this. You had a shitty driving Jeep. You hated it and went through all the hassle to get Jeep to buy it back and then you bought another shitty driving Jeep and now you are ok with it and just going to wait for a “real fix? Oy vey