Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
So did you have an AA box and then an AB box? I was told there wasnt a difference (just different manufacturing areas, thus no updated TSB), but it seems like yours drove better?

My original box was changed for an "AE" while I had asked for an "AA", the problem was still very present, I saw strictly no improvement.

So I was forced to take a lawyer to get an "AA" (as clearly described in the service bulletin) and they changed it a few days ago for an "AB".

I have no information on the difference between "AA" to "AB" ... I only have a letter from FCA explaining that they will take the repair under warranty, and that the "AA" is now officially replaced by the "AB".

I can only say that this second change of box (original -> AE - > AB) has finally corrected the original serious problem
Sponsored

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Placebo is a thing.
Longer LCAs/positive caster makes the biggest difference in straight line stability.
My ICON 2.5" kit had these two bars changed, and my steering was catastrophic. On fast road very dangerous and when crossing on narrow road, for example, also very dangerous.

Now the same car with an ICON kit, the bars changed and finally the new box, a test of 400 km make me notice that I can finally drive my car calmly, and without risking to deviate on the right or the left on the road.

new2rubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon
Just had to chime in here , took our 2020 JL rubicon in for the Jeep “Wave” oil change and when we dropped it off we mentioned that it has always had a pull to the right issue and now at 11,000 miles it wanders consistently at all speeds ! Dropped it off at 7:30am Got a text that it was ready for pickup at 1:48 , when we got there the tech stated the oil change was done and they installed a new steering box and it will drive like a new vehicle!!! We were shocked!!!! I popped the hood and the aluminum(raw aluminum color) box was gone and it now has the black steel steering box and YES it is definitely a different vehicle!!!! I heard some of the horror stories about dealers not doing anything so I was prepared for a fight but all it took was a mention during a routine oil change and boom ....it’s done ✅. Very Happy here !!

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You were really lucky, or just a very good dealer who serves his customers and is aware of the real dangerous problem.

I am happy for you

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
[/QUOTE]
Just had to chime in here , took our 2020 JL rubicon in for the Jeep “Wave” oil change and when we dropped it off we mentioned that it has always had a pull to the right issue and now at 11,000 miles it wanders consistently at all speeds ! Dropped it off at 7:30am Got a text that it was ready for pickup at 1:48 , when we got there the tech stated the oil change was done and they installed a new steering box and it will drive like a new vehicle!!! We were shocked!!!! I popped the hood and the aluminum(raw aluminum color) box was gone and it now has the black steel steering box and YES it is definitely a different vehicle!!!! I heard some of the horror stories about dealers not doing anything so I was prepared for a fight but all it took was a mention during a routine oil change and boom ....it’s done ✅. Very Happy here !!
I've been waiting months for two different dealers to contact me and you take it in for an oil change and they knock it out???

@JeepCares I'm going to need you to contact some dealer in the Denver area to assist me. I'm getting nowhere with the ones I've been to. I actually have a fulltime job and fighting dealers over this TSB is becoming like a second one.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I've been waiting months for two different dealers to contact me and you take it in for an oil change and they knock it out???

@JeepCares I'm going to need you to contact some dealer in the Denver area to assist me. I'm getting nowhere with the ones I've been to. I actually have a fulltime job and fighting dealers over this TSB is becoming like a second one.
Bert, I can't tell from the description of the mods to your JLUR. Do you have longer front lower control arms?

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Bert, I can't tell from the description of the mods to your JLUR. Do you have longer front lower control arms?
[/QUOTE
Yep, front and rear. My alignment is spot on. I have a great mechanic who takes care of everything I need and the Jeep is *perfect* other than this sloppy steering gearbox. I plan to upgrade some other parts of my steering (rpm 2.5 ton and dynatrac balljoints but I’m in limbo until this crappy steering gear is replaced. I’ll have my mechanic do it if it continues into spring but have some long trips planned and I’m not driving it with 3” of play in the steering. I also have a fox ats stabilizer. If I decrease the stabilizer damping it’s downright dangerous to drive. That was my first ‘fix’ to make it drivable w/o being all over the road. I’m just tired of constantly correcting the steerinf and I’ve owned a lot of sfa vehicls so it’s not just my perception.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back

[/QUOTE]
I hear you on that situation. The dealer I am getting my 392 from is so much more flexible than the large chain of dealerships that I bought my 18 Rubicon from. They were big enough not to care about anything other than the sale of the Jeep and didn't even care about the next person who was going to get it. It ended up going to a dealer in Comstock NY, and I left there with a Raptor that is an amazing truck, not a Jeep, but a truck so you can't even compare it to a Jeep. It should have some of the features available that the Raptor comes with, kinda makes you feel like your getting your money's worth. This is just my opinion based upon going through the same issue and thinking money thrown at it would fix what the dealer should have done. Sidenote, The electric steering pump was not retaining the pressure it required and was turning on and off due to a issue with the software which in turn caused it to drive perfectly fine o time and then be all over the road and have a serious death wobble
I would see if there is anyone here on the forum that has had positive results with a dealer in your area, it may be a pain to travel to another dealer but in the long run it may be worth it. There are some who have had to go that route to get positive results.
Or you can do like others have chose to do on this forum, and that is simply throw every dollar you have at the Jeep and hope one of them sticks to the problem OR it can be changed out under a TSP at no cost to you. the other option is to believe it is a "Jeep Thing " and have your $50k plus Jeep truly be a white knuckle drive every time you take it out on the street. You shouldn't have to be so stressed everytime that you take it out for a drive especially when there are thousands of other Jeeps out there not having any issues at all or the owners are simply not on any forum trying to get help in resolving the issue

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nope, I LOVE this Jeep and have it exactly how I want it now. It’s literally perfect other than the steering gearbox and it’s PROVEN that’s a problem by all the positive reviews on this forum after having it swapped out. It’s a problem with rhe dealers here in the Denver area. Customer service is non existent. The CO Facebook Jeep groups are littered with complaints about local dealers.

I have a long list of things I plan with this Jeep but need it replaced before I do. I’ll rip it all out and buy a PSC hydro setup if I have to. This Jeeps not going anywhere anytime soon. The problem is fixable but I shouldn’t have to pay $700 (or $400 for the part) to do it myself.

I may try another dealer but I can’t take days off work to drive hours all over the front range looking for a dealer that ‘might’ be sympathetic. I need to know one will actually order the part, not tell me they are, refuse to provide any kind of ‘receipt’ then say they don’t know what I’m talking about when I call for an update weeks later.

Last edited:

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Nope, I LOVE this Jeep and have it exactly how I want it now. It’s literally perfect other than the steering gearbox and it’s PROVEN that’s a problem by all the positive reviews on this forum after having it swapped out. It’s a problem with rhe dealers here in the Denver area. Customer service is non existent. The CO Facebook Jeep groups are littered with complaints about local dealers.

I have a long list of things I plan with this Jeep but need it replaced before I do. I’ll rip it all out and buy a PSC hydro setup if I have to. This Jeeps not going anywhere anytime soon. The problem is fixable but I shouldn’t have to pay $700 (or $400 for the part) to do it myself.

I may try another dealer but I can’t take days off work to drive hours all over the front range looking for a dealer that ‘might’ be sympathetic. I need to know one will actually order the part, not tell me they are, refuse to provide any kind of ‘receipt’ then say they don’t know what I’m talking about when I call for an update weeks later.
Once you (finally) get the steering box replaced you'll marvel at the handling. I have the new box, 25 3/8" LCAs, and a passthrough steering damper, and my JL steers like a dream.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I’m 100% sure mine will too. I just need it done... it’s just frustrating to wait and then hear they haven’t moved on the repair

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I’ve been watching the price on it jump around for a few months now. However, the factory part that came with my Jeep is *defective*. It’s been proven countless times now and why there is a TSB for it. That’s what warranties are supposed to cover, defective parts. All the other stuff I’ve spent thousands on replacing weren’t defective, just substandard lol.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
I could not agree with you more on this issue, There have been some that have unfortunately had to get legal action involved.

100% correct on you not having to spend a dime with this steering issue, I went through 2 steering boxes and it still wasn't fixed because this TSB did not exist when I had my Jeep, but they had it for weeks and did software updates too but nothing helped and to top it off every time I picked my Jeep up there was something else broken or damaged and I had to fight to get some of these issues resolved, and it got to the point of just give me the part and I will do it myself but that was not an option. Ask the people on this forum that had to use legal action to get the TSB done what exactly did they need to do with their lawyer? Maybe a hard written letter from the lawer to the service manager or something like that to the owner of the dealership? We have the Lemon Law here in NJ but it is a timely process but it does work
Sponsored