Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

Murph-NH

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I am the second owner of a jlur with 46k miles. Has anyone been able to get this repair done for free or should I expect to have to pay to get the steering box done? If I should have to pay does anyone know roughly what the entire job costs?

Advertisement

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I am the second owner of a jlur with 46k miles. Has anyone been able to get this repair done for free or should I expect to have to pay to get the steering box done? If I should have to pay does anyone know roughly what the entire job costs?
I did have the recall number but deleted it. there is a new steering box replacement if you can prove you need it they'll order for you but I can't remember the number I had it and deleted it. I never needed it though

Murph-NH

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Thamk you very much. Decided to buy the synergy track bar brace and see if that helps enough. Dealers around me think putting 35” on a jl is extreme and when I show up with 3.5” lift and 37” they don’t even know where to begin. Try and get things fixed myself

Tony V

First Name
Tony
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Thamk you very much. Decided to buy the synergy track bar brace and see if that helps enough. Dealers around me think putting 35” on a jl is extreme and when I show up with 3.5” lift and 37” they don’t even know where to begin. Try and get things fixed myself
the new steering box fixes all steering issues. Well worth the 700 bucks. I tried everything. It is the only thing that fixed the problem. Like night and day. Zero dead spot on my lifted with 35s.

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
I had mine replaced last week: night and day difference..but!

I'm not sure they updated the software as on the work order it states, "printer still down".

is there any way that I can look somewhere & see if the software was updated?

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S / GMC 1500AT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I had mine replaced last week: night and day difference..but!

I'm not sure they updated the software as on the work order it states, "printer still down".

is there any way that I can look somewhere & see if the software was updated?
Dealer read out only.

dwar812

First Name
Don
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon
I bought a 2021 JLUR about a month ago and initially dismissed the 'wondering' as 'being a Jeep'. I've owned a 73 & 75 CJ, and a 92 YJ; so I've experienced a lot of things 'Jeep'.

After driving this for a several weeks into work (30 min one way on freeway @ 75 ish), I began to realize this wasn't normal. I honestly don't know why I wasn't stopped for drunk driving. I had to drive with my leg against the steering wheel to minimize the wonder.

I took it to my dealer and they gave me a rental expecting to have to replace the steering box. The following day, I got a call and they said it was ready. They saw that I already had the upgraded box (gear?) and made some adjustments.

I went straight to the freeway and the problem is fixed.

Murph-NH

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I think I will end up there regardless. Still beefing up the frame side of the track bar is always a good thing and the part that connects to the steering box can always be removed. Wish I had a dealer near me that allowed parts to be installed they did not sell. Going to ask for a quote regardless but assume it will be more in the $1,200-$1,500 range. Wonder if i got it replaced at a local shop if they would still do the flash for me?

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
I bought a 2021 JLUR about a month ago and initially dismissed the 'wondering' as 'being a Jeep'. I've owned a 73 & 75 CJ, and a 92 YJ; so I've experienced a lot of things 'Jeep'.

After driving this for a several weeks into work (30 min one way on freeway @ 75 ish), I began to realize this wasn't normal. I honestly don't know why I wasn't stopped for drunk driving. I had to drive with my leg against the steering wheel to minimize the wonder.

I took it to my dealer and they gave me a rental expecting to have to replace the steering box. The following day, I got a call and they said it was ready. They saw that I already had the upgraded box (gear?) and made some adjustments.

I went straight to the freeway and the problem is fixed.
I wonder what they "adjusted"?

Murph-NH

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I wonder what they "adjusted"?
Well the 2021 has the new steel steering box that others in this thread are finally able to get. Part of getting a new box is getting it programmed into the jeep. I would assume they updated the the software version his jeep had on it. Obviously don't quote me on that

Advertisement

Tri-City Jeep

Advertisement