Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

Jeepileptic

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2016 Fisher-Price Jeep Frozen Edition
I was thinking the same thing. Air, or fluid is low. Have you checked the level of the power steering fluid?
I have, it’s at the min level when cold. As long as it’s within the min/max I wouldn’t think it to be a problem, right?
Sponsored

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have, it’s at the min level when cold. As long as it’s within the min/max I wouldn’t think it to be a problem, right?
There are many people here with more knowledge than I have. But I would want to add fluid. Maybe the dealer who installed the new steering gear will top it up when you are in for service next time.
I'm glad you had your steering gear changed. I bet it made a big difference!

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Just dropped my Jeep off for this service. The service advisor I got this time LISTENED to me instead of arguing, so that's a first for me.

Fingers crossed they fix it. And by fix it, I mean apply the service bulletin.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Agree. Same results here. I will not be changing again unless they prove something drastically wrong with new gear.
I’m with you. Isn’t amazing how an offhanded comment by a dealership employee can cause angst. Nothing to see here folks. Move along.

Sponsored

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Before my steering gear replacement, my steering was vague, with an inch or so of free play (depending on the temp) and I felt like I was herding my jeep down the road. Now its solid, with almost no free play. I'm very happy with the steel replacement gear. It still feels like a solid axle vehicle. Big bumps on one wheel with the solid axle are not like independent suspension.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Service Writer called today. Has all the parts on order and hoping to have it done by the weekend. Also said he'll give me a free steering dampner in case I ever need it. I DIDNT EXPECT THAT! lol. I have an aftermarket one on. This guy is the best service writer I've ever had at Jeep.

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
WOW! Good info...I wonder if the jeepCares people can enlighten us on this!
ya need to tag them tho w/ @JeepCares

i'd be interested to hear more about this since i had my AE gear replaced with the black gear and it's "better"... or maybe just different, but far from the praise that other people give it. maybe another poke to see if they have any information on how i should proceed /poke @JeepCares

JeepRider10

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I am glad to read some of these posts. I received a call from Jeep on Monday November 30th after 1 1/2 years of dealing with the loose steering approx 3 to 4 inches of play before actual steering control engages. Anyway they told me about the TSB 08-274 and we scheduled an appointment for today Wednesday December 2nd to get the Electronic Steering Gear replaced. Needless to say when I showed up for the appointment the service department was confused and they did not have the part. The good news it it is on order (but backordered) with no anticiaped date of receipt as the part is backordered. This does not surprise me with the volume of vehicles they must be dealing with to fix the problem. My question due to past experiences with Jeep service, can anybody tell me where the Electronic Steering Gear box is located on a Wrangler JL? I want to get eyes on and take a picture so I can verify they actually made the change. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
@JeepRider10 If you go through the previous posts in this thread, there are pictures of the gear box, both old and new. You can see it when you crawl under the front of the Jeep and look up to where the steering column comes through the firewall and follow it to the steering gear box. Go through the thread, find a couple of the pics, and crawl under you Jeep. It will be obvious.

Sponsored

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
I am glad to read some of these posts. I received a call from Jeep on Monday November 30th after 1 1/2 years of dealing with the loose steering approx 3 to 4 inches of play before actual steering control engages. Anyway they told me about the TSB 08-274 and we scheduled an appointment for today Wednesday December 2nd to get the Electronic Steering Gear replaced. Needless to say when I showed up for the appointment the service department was confused and they did not have the part. The good news it it is on order (but backordered) with no anticiaped date of receipt as the part is backordered. This does not surprise me with the volume of vehicles they must be dealing with to fix the problem. My question due to past experiences with Jeep service, can anybody tell me where the Electronic Steering Gear box is located on a Wrangler JL? I want to get eyes on and take a picture so I can verify they actually made the change. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
[/CITATION]

Good idea to want to check if they did the job.

I did this check and the horrible thing is that they put an "AE" box in when I had asked to do the "bulletin service".

The answer "for Europe it's this box that replaces the AA"!?

I'm exhausted from the incompetence of the dealers, I'm fed up with my legal protection, I'm fed up with the shitty answer.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Hey Jeep Peeps, I Just had mine replaced yesterday along with my rear passenger Led tail light which had the solid light go out. Have not had enough time to notice the dif in it yet...will see today when I make my commute to/fro from work. What I can say is my Dealership has been great throughout the entire process!

JeepRider10

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@JeepRider10 If you go through the previous posts in this thread, there are pictures of the gear box, both old and new. You can see it when you crawl under the front of the Jeep and look up to where the steering column comes through the firewall and follow it to the steering gear box. Go through the thread, find a couple of the pics, and crawl under you Jeep. It will be obvious.
Thanks I found it. Hopefully they replace the whole component. I have seen in the thread that they only replace the top part with the 4 bolts

Markham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara High Altitude
I took my 2020 JLUR in back in September and the new steering box was placed on order. I still have not received the box. Called the dealer again today and was told that all deliveries have been placed on hold because the new boxes are having problems and FCA is now doing an engineering investigation on them which I am being told will take until December 20th to complete.
I swear to god.... what is going on with this GD steering?!?!

I’m ready to get Mopar LCA and have the caster adjusted beyond 5. I also need my steering wheel re-centered too.

JeepRider10

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I swear to god.... what is going on with this GD steering?!?!

I’m ready to get Mopar LCA and have the caster adjusted beyond 5. I also need my steering wheel re-centered too.
Mine steering box was ordered just last week and there is no anticipated due date as all parts are backordered.
Sponsored