First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '18 JL 2 Door Rubi; Past: '97 TJ, '08 JK
Occupation
Retired
Mine goes in on the 1st. Sure hope it does the trick. I had one of the first delivered JL Rubi's and have been fighting this for 2 years, with at least 6 dealer visits and several Jeep Cares and FCA calls and 4 changed parts to date. 3rd Jeep over the decades. Got that same call from Detroit re the new gearbox. They asked why I had been silent lately - told them I had given up on Jeep. Hope this restores my faith.
All I can say is "Holy Sheepshit Batman!"

After 2+ years, now 7 visits, 4, now 5, replacement parts, numerous calls and effort, this new "AA" release of the heavy cast iron gear box really works, and I mean works perfectly!

Tell your dealer to fit you up the this TSB (08-074-20) ASAP (unless you're a rock climber, where the loser fell is probably preferred)!

Still can't believe it! Best of all, they never forgot about those of us who by earlier this year given up on them! Bravo Jeep Cares FCA!
Sponsored

Brandon3333

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
UPDATE: All...as everyone is reporting, this new "AA" version WORKS!!! I was the first Jeep in Northern California to receive it today. I just picked it up from service and took it immediately on the freeway....OMG....perfectly straight...no pulling to the right....steering wheel returns to center....I cannot believe it. 1-year waiting, 53 days in service, 2nd 2020 after buy back, and BOOM!!! A working JLU.

All - if you have this problem...you need this TSB fix. It is a new gear box and a new PCM flash. I also had them do another alignment, made sure PSI was 32, and it drives the way it was meant to.

GREAT JOB everyone that has patiently waited like me and more...3 years in some cases. The NHTSA reached out to me a 4 weeks ago asking me to contact him directly when it was done to assure it has been fixed. That is one call I am happy to make.

Good luck everyone!

jmcl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara
I am curious to see how you fare. I have my original box adjusted as well as it can be. There's maybe a 1/2 to 3/4 inch dead spot.

Please update how the iron box compares to your adjusted original box, please and thanks!
Got my Jeep back a few days ago and the new steering box definitely eliminated the dead spot when compared to stock. Very little dead spot now. I adjusted my previous box a good half turn or more, and the new box is just a little better than what I could get to. The new box is not overly improved over adjusted box, but overall I am very satisfied. If you are out of warranty give your steering box an adjustment and if you have warranty get a new box.

kkarnage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392, 2020 JLUR, 2015 JKR
Occupation
Retired
... I was the first Jeep in Northern California to receive it today....
Maybe by a dealer - I've had mine installed for ~ 2 weeks now

But you're not wrong: it definitely fixes the problem. I've put ~1,500 miles on it in the last two weeks, most of it on the open road, and it is a completely different vehicle, in the best possible way

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Oh, and one more thing: did your dealer also order and install new bolts for your box swap? You may want to check, and make sure they do.
Since dealers won’t let customers watch them make they repairs, how can JL owners check to make sure the correct bots were used? The invoice may say they did, but is there a way to look at the bolts to make sure? If yes, what do you look for?

And is there a way to verify the dealer applied the software update? Is there a menu in service or engineering mode that shows which software version is installed?

kkarnage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Since dealers won’t let customers watch them make they repairs, how can JL owners check to make sure the correct bots were used? The invoice may say they did, but is there a way to look at the bolts to make sure? If yes, what do you look for?
I’m not sure whether you be able to tell from just a visual inspection, but on the old box, two of the bolts were aluminum. There *might* be a visual difference, but I’m not sure, and it would be damn hard to see, in any case, just because of where it’s located

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I’m not sure whether you be able to tell from just a visual inspection, but on the old box, two of the bolts were aluminum. There *might* be a visual difference, but I’m not sure, and it would be damn hard to see, in any case, just because of where it’s located
And is there a way to verify the dealer applied the software update? Is there a menu in service or engineering mode that shows which software version is installed?

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

First thing to look for is these bolts. Make sure they are all steel (black) bolts.

Jeep Wrangler JL Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts AF158A42-875E-41BA-8F0F-9AD383188160

Sponsored

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
My JLU (VERY early production) has had the issue since day one.....I’ve just become used to it and lived with it. I was surprised to see my new Gladiator (built July 2020) has the same aluminum steering box, with similar (albeit not as bad) characteristics. I’m curious why the new steel box is not being installed on new production units.

kkarnage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
My JLU (VERY early production) has had the issue since day one.....I’ve just become used to it and lived with it. I was surprised to see my new Gladiator (built July 2020) has the same aluminum steering box, with similar (albeit not as bad) characteristics. I’m curious why the new steel box is not being installed on new production units.
The new steel box has only just become available. Literally just over two weeks ago. Assuming FCA can get sufficient quantities, they should start appearing in new builds soonish?

kkarnage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Does this picture show two steel black bolts and two aluminum bolts in the same steering box?
It’s not my picture, but as the poster says, you want 4 black bolts there, not two black and two silver, after the new box has been installed

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
It’s not my picture, but as the poster says, you want 4 black bolts there, not two black and two silver, after the new box has been installed
Mine has 2 silver bolts and 2 black bolts...

are we sure they are all supposed to be black?
Sponsored