Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I bought my wife a new Rubicon JL and I drove it the other day and it seems to have some play in the steering and feels like I am constantly trying to correct the direction we are traveling. I thought it was out of alignment but I went and drove another one and it felt the same way. Is anyone else feel this issue and is it just the way it is or is it just a jeep thing? We just sold our 2013 JKU and it was like that too but I expected improved steering on the new JL model. I would like to hear other peoples thoughts about this steering play or drifting feeling. O by the way, She loves her new ride!

IMG_9731.jpg
Thanks good post. 2-1/2 years later and I’m waiting for the new steering box.
You did really well identifying this.

Advertisement

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Thanks good post. 2-1/2 years later and I’m waiting for the new steering box.
You did really well identifying this.

While I’m not the eternal optimist and I will wait until after mine is changed next week to cast judgement.

Looking back just for fun... this thread started over 2.5 years ago, has had close to 6500 posts,, spanned 433 pages and is always one of the hot topics. It has spawned off a dozen plus similar threads each with a history.

We have seen home remedies, voodoo curses and almost come to blows about “ it’s a jeep...it’s suppose to be like that” and there’s nothing wrong ..it’s us we should just buy a Lexus. We have PMed each other and shared horror stories and attorney info. Conjured up definitions of the legal process and cursed the phrase ”Jeep Cares” more than i care to think about.

I recall the poster that told me i would NEVER get buyback and Jeep had far more legal clout and money than I.
I remember laughing as i deposited my $45,000 check from FCA.

If this is the fix I’ll be the first to pat Jeep on the back and thank them since it’s not a matter of too little too late, but a matter of better late than never.

drvn

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
FIXED!!!!
THIS TSB and cast iron steering box fixed the jeep. It feels like a normal driving jeep now. No wandering up to 75 mph and minimal to no dead spot. Amazing! Went from irritated as hell to happy.

Background. 3" lift 35" tires. Synergy tie rod, drag link sector shaft/track bar brace and rancho geometry correction bracket. Performed power steering fuse technique reset. Caster @ 5. None of that stuff helped ($3000 with labor and 2 months in 4wd shop given back ordered parts).

The only thing that worked was the new steering box.

Buckeyedave

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
FIXED!!!!
THIS TSB and cast iron steering box fixed the jeep. It feels like a normal driving jeep now. No wandering up to 75 mph and minimal to no dead spot. Amazing! Went from irritated as hell to happy.

Background. 3" lift 35" tires. Synergy tie rod, drag link sector shaft/track bar brace and rancho geometry correction bracket. Performed power steering fuse technique reset. Caster @ 5. None of that stuff helped ($3000 with labor and 2 months in 4wd shop given back ordered parts).

Did they put your sector shaft brace back on, or did they leave it off??

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
FIXED!!!!

Have you had a chance to drive it much on the highway yet?

drvn

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Have you had a chance to drive it much on the highway yet?
Drove home (total 15 miles) on highway about 8 miles. Cranked it up to 80 mph. Smooth sailing so far.

Last edited:

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
So, for anyone who is interested, here's a video comparison of the difference in play between the original (AE) aluminum box, and the new cast iron box, on the bench. Watch the black rubber seal to see the movement better. Even with just fingers, the play in the old box is clearly noticeable. There is zero play in the new box. The old box only has ~3K miles on it, so you can't really ascribe the play to wear and tear. That play translated into a 1/2-3/4 inch dead spot in the steering wheel.

So, new box is going in at the moment, and I should be able to report back in the next day or two.

Thanks for your video.
Love to see more.

We went to two dealers; our parts are on order. I'd love to have "WANDERER" as a personal plate.

kkarnage

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2015 JKR
The other thing you're not going to see if the dealer does your box swap...
Take a look at what the mounting surface of the original box (AE version) from my 2020 JLUR looks like. See those pock marks in what is supposed to be a flat surface? Yeah, those are from weld spatter on the frame, where the box mounts. There is no way this box was mounted as well as it was supposed to have been with all that shit between it and the surface it was supposed to be in contact with.

44524_118570824_692490394674938_6728227698682226280_n.jpg

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Thanks for your video.
Love to see more.

We went to two dealers; our parts are on order. I'd love to have "WANDERER" as a personal plate.
that would be funny..
my old avatar on this forum when i was battling FCA on my Sahara was a Walmart shopping cart.

kkarnage

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2015 JKR
Oh, and one more thing: did your dealer also order and install new bolts for your box swap? You may want to check, and make sure they do.
So, the other thing I learned today is that, on the original aluminum boxes, 2 of the 4 bolts used to attach the box, are aluminum. Which kinda makes sense, because chasing stainless bolts into those aluminum threads is only ever going to end in tears. But it is also a shit design IMO, especially for something like a steering box which you want attached to its mounting point as firmly as possible.

Anyhow, the new box is supposed to be attached with new bolts, and not the original ones.

For a component this important, and which essentially interfaces directly with the driver, it just seems like FCA designers did not properly think through the potential consequences of their design choices for this component.

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
Can anyone confirm if all new JL’s leaving the assembly line will have this newest box?

Advertisement

Mac Haik CDJR Georgetown

Advertisement