Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Wanted to thank all those people who took time to share their experiences and tips on trying to fix their JL steering. Here is what worked for me.

Issue: I had the 2 inches of dead play, worse in heat, with extensive wondering since the day it came off the assembly line. It was scary and exhausting to drive. Slack in steering box got worse quickly over a couple years.

JL Specs: 2018 Jeep JL Sahara, 3.6, hard top, all original suspension/tires etc. Currently has around 16k miles/26k kms. Factory order, picked up in June 2018 with around 5-7 miles on it from dealership.

What we have done to date:
  • Dealership verified that suspension bolts torque to spec (I personally checked with recently calibrated torque wrench) in Fall 2018. All were to spec – no change.
  • Dealership performed software update in Winter 2019 – no change.
  • Dealership updated mopar steering dampener - Felt worse for some reason.
  • Dealership updated mopar track bar in Fall 2019 – slightly stiffer feeling, but still wondering with dead-play and tracking all over.
  • Dealership performed new alignment using revised specs that came with the new track bar – no change.
  • Pulled the fuse (waited, put back in, turned wheels) to reset – felt better, but may have been subjective (wanting it to be better).
  • Tightened factor box very slightly (1/8), made it feel more darty/dangerous (wheel still centered by itself) so put it back to factory setting – no improvement.
  • Dealership replaced the steering rack (sorry I don’t have the part number, wasn’t on the work sheet) the end of July 2020 and adjusted the toe - Steering has improved 90% !! Far better than when I picked up new from the dealership! There is only a small ½ inch in play now, wondering is much better and steering is thankfully stiffer.
The new steering box made the greatest change to the overall driving dynamic. It is still not as good as my Jeep JK was, or any IFS vehicle, but after many visits to the dealership, it is finally livable! May try the longer control arms to get it above the 90%. Good luck to you all.
Glad to see your progress and summary.
Went to school off and on in Ottawa and Nepean. Good to see your handle....Ottawa Valley almost felt like home.
Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Wanted to thank all those people who took time to share their experiences and tips on trying to fix their JL steering. Here is what worked for me.

Issue: I had the 2 inches of dead play, worse in heat, with extensive wondering since the day it came off the assembly line. It was scary and exhausting to drive. Slack in steering box got worse quickly over a couple years.

JL Specs: 2018 Jeep JL Sahara, 3.6, hard top, all original suspension/tires etc. Currently has around 16k miles/26k kms. Factory order, picked up in June 2018 with around 5-7 miles on it from dealership.

What we have done to date:
  • Dealership verified that suspension bolts torque to spec (I personally checked with recently calibrated torque wrench) in Fall 2018. All were to spec – no change.
  • Dealership performed software update in Winter 2019 – no change.
  • Dealership updated mopar steering dampener - Felt worse for some reason.
  • Dealership updated mopar track bar in Fall 2019 – slightly stiffer feeling, but still wondering with dead-play and tracking all over.
  • Dealership performed new alignment using revised specs that came with the new track bar – no change.
  • Pulled the fuse (waited, put back in, turned wheels) to reset – felt better, but may have been subjective (wanting it to be better).
  • Tightened factor box very slightly (1/8), made it feel more darty/dangerous (wheel still centered by itself) so put it back to factory setting – no improvement.
  • Dealership replaced the steering rack (sorry I don’t have the part number, wasn’t on the work sheet) the end of July 2020 and adjusted the toe - Steering has improved 90% !! Far better than when I picked up new from the dealership! There is only a small ½ inch in play now, wondering is much better and steering is thankfully stiffer.
The new steering box made the greatest change to the overall driving dynamic. It is still not as good as my Jeep JK was, or any IFS vehicle, but after many visits to the dealership, it is finally livable! May try the longer control arms to get it above the 90%. Good luck to you all.
And here is yet another longer LCA success story: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/what-actually-_is_-normal-steering.55531/post-1211708

skrubi12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
It sucks that it’s a bulletin and not a full on recall. For those of us that modified, we’re not likely to get any help. Fortunately, while mine sucks and is a bit loose, I’ve been able to get it dialed in and am used to it and don’t feel it to be a danger. Still isn’t right but I’m ok with it.

Sponsored

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
It sucks that it’s a bulletin and not a full on recall. For those of us that modified, we’re not likely to get any help. Fortunately, while mine sucks and is a bit loose, I’ve been able to get it dialed in and am used to it and don’t feel it to be a danger. Still isn’t right but I’m ok with it.
Keep in mind there has been several other “fixes” already. Until this is out and in jeeps on the road this box could suck just as bad as the others. I have heard that is is cast iron vs aluminum.

skrubi12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Keep in mind there has been several other “fixes” already. Until this is out and in jeeps on the road this box could suck just as bad as the others. I have heard that is is cast iron vs aluminum.
Totally agree there...I bought a 2018 in June of 2018, I’ve played guinea pig long enough. Will definitely wait a bit to see how things fare. Although, my warranty will be up in just under a year, so it may not matter. I have my fingers crossed for everyone who is able to have get this done.

Swamp Cabbage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
This is encouraging. I had hoped Ford’s announcement of the Bronco would get Jeep moving on the steering problem. Maybe just coincidence, though. Whatever works, as long as Jeep is fixing the problem. I hope someone posts the entire document. I look forward to hearing more from forum members about this service bulletin.

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
This just came out today.....new box and software. Parts not available at this time, mid to late September.

Jeep Wrangler JL Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts ADB96051-A54C-439B-B770-F8C1428E3546
Nice. Fingers crossed. Any PN there for the gearbox this applies to or any other info in the bulletin?

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Isn’t this the 4th Steering Box that they have come out with? The others didn’t fix the problem for those with the problem. Let’s hope that Jeep gets this right this time.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Can we still get this done if we are over warranty miles?:crying:

kkarnage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392, 2020 JLUR, 2015 JKR
Occupation
Retired
Can we still get this done if we are over warranty miles?:crying:
Getting it done isn’t the problem. It’s who pays for it, which will be the problem.
Sponsored