Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
I have a 2019 Altitude. I had to take mine in twice. The first time they replaced the steering stabilizer, and it made no difference. I waited until the clutch recall and talked personally to the mechanic at length and took him for a drive. I showed him the play. They agreed and replaced my steering box. It looked a lot heavier duty to me. The mechanic showed me both parts and how loose my original was compared to the new one. I don't have the service sheets yet as they still need to replace some weatherstripping. He told me the part numbers ended with "AB" and it seemed to be a different part number than I have read on the forums. I'll know when I get the receipt. It drives a lot better. I actually like driving my Jeep again. It is still a solid axle vehicle, but it drives better now:clap:
Im interested in that part number...thanks for the post!
Sponsored

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,
I worked with a service advisor named Scott.

To level set based on how little luck folks have reported having in this thread I didn't go in with any expectations.

I waited till I brought it in to get my 2nd oil change done, and just casually mentioned that my steering wheel had a good inch of play in it and was wondering if they could take a look at it.

No long conversation, pleading my case etc, no test drive with a tech or anything.
Straight up minimal interaction.
That afternoon I got a call, they reproduced it and ordered a new steering gear.
Took the vehicle home, 2 weeks later I got a call that the part came in and they installed it.

Hassle free and overall good experience.
Wow, I'd drive across the country to get this kind of service. I've been to 4 dealers and even the one that test drove mine and said it had a problem changed their tune when jeep corporate got involved. I got the sevice report saying "Driving as intended."

znakos

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I have a 2019 Altitude. I had to take mine in twice. The first time they replaced the steering stabilizer, and it made no difference. I waited until the clutch recall and talked personally to the mechanic at length and took him for a drive. I showed him the play. They agreed and replaced my steering box. It looked a lot heavier duty to me. The mechanic showed me both parts and how loose my original was compared to the new one. I don't have the service sheets yet as they still need to replace some weatherstripping. He told me the part numbers ended with "AB" and it seemed to be a different part number than I have read on the forums. I'll know when I get the receipt. It drives a lot better. I actually like driving my Jeep again. It is still a solid axle vehicle, but it drives better now:clap:
To anyone who had their steering box fix their problem, can you describe how much dead play you had before and after? Is there still dead play with the new steering box? If so, how much?

GZilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Wow, I'd drive across the country to get this kind of service. I've been to 4 dealers and even the one that test drove mine and said it had a problem changed their tune when jeep corporate got involved. I got the sevice report saying "Driving as intended."
I definitely got lucky on this one. I failed to mention in the initial post that the issue was diagnosed as "Play in the spool valve in the steering box".

Sponsored

jeepthang

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
To anyone who had their steering box fix their problem, can you describe how much dead play you had before and after? Is there still dead play with the new steering box? If so, how much?
I think the version of steering box here is key. If there is a newer one from the current AE than that will be a break through. I had my 2018 replaced with the latest AE. It seemed to have a bit heavier feel but I still have about an 1-1/2" play.

znakos

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I had gotten word a while back that FCA was working on an iron steering box for the JL to replace the aluminum box. Maybe this "AB" version is that.

rid34fun

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yamaha Super Tenere
Occupation
Director of Campus Development
I could move my steering wheel almost 2 inches each way without any change in direction. Now after the "AE" new steering box, there is probably 3/4" less, but still has play. It does stay straighter though but the steering has increased effort. I have to get used to the effort before I can comment.

rid34fun

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yamaha Super Tenere
Occupation
Director of Campus Development
I had gotten word a while back that FCA was working on an iron steering box for the JL to replace the aluminum box. Maybe this "AB" version is that.
This one looks heavier duty to me, not iron, but thicker aluminum for sure when I saw both together.

Sponsored

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
This one looks heavier duty to me, not iron, but thicker aluminum for sure when I saw both together.
But there's no problem with JL steering, loose steering "is a Jeep thing" so why are they revising and bulking up the steering box? Why revise something if there's no problem with it?

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
I definitely got lucky on this one. I failed to mention in the initial post that the issue was diagnosed as "Play in the spool valve in the steering box".
This is what I think the biggest issue is with some boxes. You can't get the play out by trying to setup the sector gear adjuster any better. It's a hopeless cause and only getting lucky on a new box that happens to have good tolerances will help. We already know it has nothing to to with the latest "AE" version.

I have pulled the spoolvalve/worm gear out of a gearbox I've messed with and confirmed there is play there on that particular box.

JDM

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
But there's no problem with JL steering, loose steering "is a Jeep thing" so why are they revising and bulking up the steering box? Why revise something if there's no problem with it?
I’m going to try to reply to this in a manner that everyone would consider as being respectful because in all sincerity no disrespect is intended...

I guess that some Jeep owners are OK with loose steering and for what seem to be valid reasons to them will accept loose steering in a Jeep, and I get it.

Others know otherwise and because they too like their Jeeps, a lot, decide to invest in eliminating the loose steering. The loose steering that WAS in mine was downright dangerous in the winter months.

My issue with the “Jeep Thing“ is that for me, it’s an issue with FCA and many dealers that use ”It’s a Jeep Thing” to get away with anything they can’t or won’t fix. Example: my JK had an out of balance vibration. The dealer tried to balance the tires repeatedly and even changed a drive line. Finally they said it’s a “Jeep Thing“ and had me drive other JK’s with the same tires that also had the same shake. I knew better. I had the tires and wheels Force balanced... NO MORE SHAKE... NO MORE JEEP THING! Put new tires on my JLU. Had them Force balanced. No shake, no “Jeep Thing“.

I’m doing the same with the steering in my JLU because I know that it doesn’t have to be loose. But I will not argue with anyone that is OK with loose steering because to them ”It’s a Jeep Thing”, to each their own.

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
I’m going to try to reply to this in a manner that everyone would consider as being respectful because in all sincerity no disrespect is intended...

I guess that some Jeep owners are OK with loose steering and for what seem to be valid reasons to them will accept loose steering in a Jeep, and I get it.

Others know otherwise and because they too like their Jeeps, a lot, decide to invest in eliminating the loose steering. The loose steering that WAS in mine was downright dangerous in the winter months.

My issue with the “Jeep Thing“ is that for me, it’s an issue with FCA and many dealers that use ”It’s a Jeep Thing” to get away with anything they can’t or won’t fix. Example: my JK had an out of balance vibration. The dealer tried to balance the tires repeatedly and even changed a drive line. Finally they said it’s a “Jeep Thing“ and had me drive other JK’s with the same tires that also had the same shake. I knew better. I had the tires and wheels Force balanced... NO MORE SHAKE... NO MORE JEEP THING! Put new tires on my JLU. Had them Force balanced. No shake, no “Jeep Thing“.

I’m doing the same with the steering in my JLU because I know that it doesn’t have to be loose. But I will not argue with anyone that is OK with loose steering because to them ”It’s a Jeep Thing”, to each their own.
I was being totally sarcastic in the previous comment. My Jeep is dangerous on the highway and am trying to get it rectified. I'll be going to a 4th dealer soon in my attempt at fixing it. The humor lies in the fact that FCA refuses to publicly admit that there's an underlying steering problem yet they are releasing revised parts to address the "non-problem." Basically, what they're saying and what they're doing is in conflict with each other.

JDM

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
I was being totally sarcastic in the previous comment. My Jeep is dangerous on the highway and am trying to get it rectified. I'll be going to a 4th dealer soon in my attempt at fixing it. The humor lies in the fact that FCA refuses to publicly admit that there's an underlying steering problem yet they are releasing revised parts to address the "non-problem." Basically, what they're saying and what they're doing is in conflict with each other.
GOT IT! We’re on the same page! So would that make FCA an oxymoron?!?!?
Sponsored