Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

jeepthang

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Yes it does. I did it and was able to remove some of the slack in the center of the steering. However, this does not correct any wandering in the front end. Depending on who you ask, there are other things that help for that. My biggest improvement for wandering was Mopar LCA’s and a Teraflex Trackbar.
I have performed this adjustment twice on my 18 JLU and it has an immediate response at first but after a couple thousand miles loosens up and returns to normal. Not sure if the gears get worn down or not after some wear and tear but it did not seem to have a sustained effect on my AE steering box long term.
Sponsored

Jeepileptic

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2016 Fisher-Price Jeep Frozen Edition
I have performed this adjustment twice on my 18 JLU and it has an immediate response at first but after a couple thousand miles loosens up and returns to normal. Not sure if the gears get worn down or not after some wear and tear but it did not seem to have a sustained effect on my AE steering box long term.
Interesting. Did the paint pin marks change location at all from where you adjusted them to the first time? Or were they right where you adjusted them to?

jeepthang

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Interesting. Did the paint pin marks change location at all from where you adjusted them to the first time? Or were they right where you adjusted them to?
I went about 1/8 each turn or about 10 degrees clockwise from the original paint mark. Each adjustment had an impact on an improved and tighter steering feel, but like I said it eventually wears out and returns to the slop I began with.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I went about 1/8 each turn or about 10 degrees clockwise from the original paint mark. Each adjustment had an impact on an improved and tighter steering feel, but like I said it eventually wears out and returns to the slop I began with.
Did the new location you moved the adjustment to change position when the slop returned?

Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
so what happens when you wear the gears down till theres no teeth left?

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep has that option on the Grand Cherokee, my wife’s 2020 you can do that on
doesn’t the adjustable Falcon stabilizer 2.2 accomplish a similar end result .
granted it’s not as easy as turning a dash knob....but on firm it’s crazy firm steering.

Sponsored

sonchik

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon 2018
If you are willing to try it, you can adjust the steering box. It is under the air intake hose and has a lock nut with an Allen wrench adjuster screw. Loosen the lock nut then (while holding the lock nut in place) turn the Allen adjustment screw about 1/8 turns clockwise. There are factory markings so you know the original set point. Then tighten the lock nut back down and notice if your adjuster screw marking is about 1/8 then past it’s original point to double check.

It is possible to get to the top without any wratchet extensions. You need to stick your arm down past the air intake hose. Some people say this is a bad idea so do your research and watch videos on YouTube.

It worked for me.
so many of us continue to experience this issue and some lately did what you did back in 2018. Someone at the end of this thread posted that he too did this adjustment but it worked for a couple thousand miles with slop returning. Since you did this so long ago was wondering if your steering still works well and this adjustment did the trick or if you experienced the return of the slop?

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

I’m debating getting the synergy brace - my Jeep can wander to the right, even on roads with little or no crown.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The Synergy brace may not help the wandering a lot.
I had it installed last week and have now experienced a full week driving with it on. I think it helped tighten up any looseness, but did very little for any steering corrections that need to be made while driving. Not to say it wont help your situation as everyone seems to have varied results. The YouTube videos have guys driving with one finger after the Sector Brace was installed claiming its the cure all. Me...not such luck. I think it helped and for my minor issues (which are not unsafe, radically uncontrollable steering) I feel better knowing I beefed up everything I could on the system. Other than a final alignment and castor adjustment I think I'm pretty much done with the process.

If you have really bad pulling only to the right it almost sounds like an alignment issue. The typical problems many have encountered with wandering is drifting both left and right as well as constant correcting to stay in a straight path.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
If you have really bad pulling only to the right it almost sounds like an alignment issue. The typical problems many have encountered with wandering is drifting both left and right as well as constant correcting to stay in a straight path.
The only alignments on a stock JL is total toe and steering center which doesn’t adjust left vs right but total. How would alignment affect pulling on a JL? I’m not doubting it, just curious technically how it would fix pulling.
Sponsored