Sponsored

Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
JLU with a replacement (AE) box here, 1" dead spot after installation, 1/8th turn adjustment on the box got it down to maybe 1/2 inch or less dead spot at 70+ deg F... fuse reset made no difference in my case. except i think I have a slight pull to the right now. I may do the reset again if I get bored just to see if the pull is still there.
Sponsored

Derek

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-Door
Fixed Just got my Jeep back from the alignment shop and it drives like a different Jeep, it was super windy on the highway and barely made any corrections to the steering, I could let go of the wheel and it stayed in the lane. They did an alignment and adjusted the steering gear box. I know it voids the warrant on the gear box, but the warranty wasn’t doing me any good anyway.
Fahey's Tire Center in Wakefield, MA did the work (not an ad, just very happy customer)
just wanted to post an update. It’s been 8 months since the gearbox was adjusted and there have been no issues. Also, I recently upgraded to 33s, FCA said this would make it worse, but I haven’t noticed a change.

I know this issue comes in several different varieties and I haven’t been keeping up with this thread, but I wanted to post an update, especially after the larger tires.

jeepthang

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
JLU with a replacement (AE) box here, 1" dead spot after installation, 1/8th turn adjustment on the box got it down to maybe 1/2 inch or less dead spot at 70+ deg F... fuse reset made no difference in my case. except i think I have a slight pull to the right now. I may do the reset again if I get bored just to see if the pull is still there.
Just out of curiosity, has anyone experienced any difference in the steering tightness when your AC is on? I've been using mine quite a bit this week and seems as though it has an effect on the heaviness feel which I certainly prefer. Not sure if the additional load on the engine when the condensing pump is on has anything to do with the electric assist. You would think it would be opposite. I'm more and more convinced that 75% of the complaints of loose steering is related to the damn electronic assist calibrations.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Just out of curiosity, has anyone experienced any difference in the steering tightness when your AC is on? I've been using mine quite a bit this week and seems as though it has an effect on the heaviness feel which I certainly prefer. Not sure if the additional load on the engine when the condensing pump is on has anything to do with the electric assist. You would think it would be opposite. I'm more and more convinced that 75% of the complaints of loose steering is related to the damn electronic assist calibrations.
I wish someone knew how to measure the voltage that is being supplied to the electric assist. Someone mentioned that a tech told them the voltage being sent to the electric assist was too low on their JL.

Sponsored

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
I wish someone knew how to measure the voltage that is being supplied to the electric assist. Someone mentioned that a tech told them the voltage being sent to the electric assist was too low on their JL.
I have not noticed any difference in steering feel in my JLU with the AC on, but I will pay more careful attention next time I use it

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
today will prove interesting, getting the sector shaft brace installed. This is the final point of my trilogy of parts.:)
Track bar, stabilizer and now shaft brace.
Hoping that this gets me where I want to be.
So far everything has helped and this part just arrived this week and getting it done right now.

Not striving for perfect....by benchmark is only for it to be as good as my JK is.

kkarnage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392, 2020 JLUR, 2015 JKR
Occupation
Retired
today will prove interesting, getting the sector shaft brace installed. This is the final point of my trilogy of parts.:)
Track bar, stabilizer and now shaft brace.
Hoping that this gets me where I want to be.
So far everything has helped and this part just arrived this week and getting it done right now.

Not striving for perfect....by benchmark is only for it to be as good as my JK is.
It should make a difference, because there is definitely flex at the steering box mounting point. No idea why FCA didn't strengthen the frame there.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
not gonna make a call good or bad on the sector brace yet. Gonna give it a day or so since the only test so far was a 2 mile trek home in major wind. That coupled with lots of pain meds makes a clouded observation. Will get out later tonight or tomorrow and hit the highway.
Hoping to have good news to report.

Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
i can look at mine, but i doubt it since synergy has been making. a reinforcement bracket for JKs for years.

Brandon3333

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
All - UPDATE: I found the contact info for all the top executives at NHSTA and emailed them informing them of all the 6000+ message and issues ALL relating to steering. Low and behold, 4 weeks ago the Lead Engineer at the NHTSA called me. I spoke to him for 30 minutes about all these issues. He said 100% that they are involved and are working with FCA on addressing these issues. It is a top priority and of great concern. I shared all my files, emails, contacts, and dealings with all the dealers.
Two weeks after that, I get a call from my dealer asking me to bring my Jeep in because a factory rep wanted to asses it.
During my visit, we went on a drive and agreed there was an issue. As we drove, he told me that FCA is working on a NEW steering box and adjustable ball joints to address this issue (nothing about adjustable Arms), which is something I told him they need to look at, too.
I also addressed the wandering (especially in high wind or passing trucks). I told him I suspect that is software related to inputs the computer is reading with sudden changes (a box in the wind being blown left/right) making a mistake to loosen/tighten/correct when none is needed. He seemed very interested in that, too.
So bottom line:
- FCA is aware and a forthcoming new box/joint coming within next 2-3 months
- NHTSA is aware of this and working with FCA demanding testing, results, and fixes
- More than likely a recall or another notice will be coming out to address these issues.

Let's hope it works.

Last edited:

Robnfl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.0 Diesel - Firecracker Red
Occupation
Retired USN
All - UPDATE: I found the contact info for all the top executives at NHSTA and emailed them informing them of all the 6000+ message and issues ALL relating to steering. Low and behold, 4 weeks ago the Lead Engineer at the NHTSA called me. I spoke to him for 30 minutes about all these issues. He said 100% that they are involved and are working with FCA on addressing these issues. It is a top priority and of great concern. I shared all my files, emails, contacts, and dealings with all the dealers.
Two weeks after that, I get a call from my dealer asking me to bring my Jeep in because a factory rep wanted to asses it.
During my visit, we went on a drive and agreed there was an issue. As we drove, he told me that FCA is working on a NEW steering box and adjustable ball joints to address this issue (nothing about adjustable Arms), which is something I told him they need to look at, too.
I also addressed the wandering (especially in high wind or passing trucks). I told him I suspect that is software related to inputs the computer is reading with sudden changes (a box in the wind being blown left/right) making a mistake to loosen/tighten/correct when none is needed. He seemed very interested in that, too.
So bottom line:
- NHTSA is aware of this and working with FCA demanding testing, results, and fixes
- More than likely a recall or another notice will be coming out to address these issues.

Let's hope it works.
Thx for the update. Maybe you could share those NHTSA contact emails so we can further reinforce how these issues are affecting the safety and quality of our jeeps.

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
So bottom line:

Let's hope it works.
Brandon3333: Simply put - Great job! Thanks for you hard work and tenacity in reaching out to NHSTA and culling all of the information together for them. I/We owe you some scotch!

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
Well said..... THANKS, Brandon !!!
Hope it gets finally addressed !
Sponsored