First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.0 Diesel - Firecracker Red
Occupation
Retired USN
Was the dead spot still present when you turned the steering wheel when the fuse was out?
Yes, but the dead spot is the same as when the engine is off.
I'm pretty sure the dead spot is a mechanical issue. Especially since some owners have been able to reduce or eliminate the dead spot by making adjustments to the steering box.

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Yes, but the dead spot is the same as when the engine is off.
I'm pretty sure the dead spot is a mechanical issue. Especially since some owners have been able to reduce or eliminate the dead spot by making adjustments to the steering box.
What steps and in what sequence did you perform the steps? And how long did you leave it off before reinstalling the fuse? The dead spot slack could be tightened up by the electronic steering components. Maybe try again but leave the Jeep off for 5 plus minutes when the fuse is out.

Last edited:

Robnfl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.0 Diesel - Firecracker Red
Occupation
Retired USN
What steps and in what sequence did you perform the steps? And how long did you leave it off before reinstalling the fuse?
I followed your instructions from post 6,005 (I think). I probably waited a few minutes in between the steps, I was busy with other things at the time, trying to multitask.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
I followed your instructions from post 6,005 (I think). I probably waited a few minutes in between the steps, I was busy with other things at the time, trying to multitask.

i don’t know how long i left the fuse out...probably just long enough to start the car, turn the wheel and then shut it back off.
Maybe...2-3 minutes.
i don’t know why, but this seemed to help a little. maybe again just a placebo but i’m giving it another day or so to see what happens. if it helped i’m thrilled since every little home remedy moves me closer to the ultimate goal.

this weekend i’ll do the yeti track bar and the new steering stabilizer followed by the track bar brace early next month.
This should complete the process.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Was the dead spot still present when you turned the steering wheel when the fuse was out?
Yes. Even before I attempted this you could feel the dead space with engine running or engine off.

jeepthang

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
My dead spot is still there but there is definitely an improved steering feel beyond that "dead spot" zone. I have been driving around with the setting on firm on my Teraflex Falcon SS just to minimize the loose and sloppy steering feel but after this fuse deal, I'm on the medium setting and still have a nice firm and tight steering feel.

Sponsored

jeepthang

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I'm a little apprehensive to adjust the steering box again but think there is still some improvement there to be made. I'm at 1/8 turn currently.

jeepfan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
My dead spot is still there but there is definitely an improved steering feel beyond that "dead spot" zone.
Same here, I still have about 1/4” dead spot, but the steering feels better/tighter after pulling and reinstalling the fuse.
Sponsored