RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Thank you for this.
I have followed a number of your Posts and know that you have had a lot of issues.

what troubles me about your post is the last sentence..... that it’s actually gotten worse over time..... if it’s a manufacturing defect or assembly defect, there is a good chance that it won’t “get worse” over time. It will just be reliably bad. I assume that you haven’t added anything to the Jeep? It’s still stock and it’s gotten worse over time?
My husband couldn't believe how bad it was when he first drove it. I was being optimistic and hopeful, so didn't say anything before he drove it. I was hoping I'd get used to it, but no. Other than steering fixes, it's completely stock—no lift, wheels, or tires. It's been to the dealer four times and turned away from a fifth appointment because they didn't know what to do. It's been to MetalCloak's stop three times, once just to check torque on all the components.

We replaced the trackbar, LCAs, and stabilizer (the v41 did *nothing*), which collectively helped. The PSC kit didn't help and it wanders and pulls, making it miserable to try to drive.

It's truly a love/heartbreak relationship with this Jeep.
Sponsored

Shawn19

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 4dr
I’ve had issues from early on, steering box has recently been replaced. Initially I felt no dead spot after the replacement, was nice and tight. Still has wander issues, A couple hundred miles into this box I feel about a half inch of play, not as bad as it was on my old box.

I’m not sure if these components wear quick or what.

Currently better than it was, but since the change in boxes the wind has a much greater effect on my driving vs before the change.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I’ve had issues from early on, steering box has recently been replaced. Initially I felt no dead spot after the replacement, was nice and tight. Still has wander issues, A couple hundred miles into this box I feel about a half inch of play, not as bad as it was on my old box.

I’m not sure if these components wear quick or what.

Currently better than it was, but since the change in boxes the wind has a much greater effect on my driving vs before the change.
When you say “early on”, what does that mean?

did you take the Jeep for a test drive on the freeway at speed before buying? And, if so, did your steering change after that test drive? (I.e. within a couple hundred miles of ownership)? Or, did you not take the Jeep on the freeway as part of your test drive and the Jeep demonstrated the issues “immediately on the way home” from the dealer? Or, something else?

Shawn19

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 4dr

did you take the Jeep for a test drive on the freeway at speed before buying? And, if so, did your steering change after that test drive? (I.e. within a couple hundred miles of ownership)? Or, did you not take the Jeep on the freeway as part of your test drive and the Jeep demonstrated the

did you take the Jeep for a test drive on the freeway at speed before buying? And, if so, did your steering change after that test drive? (I.e. within a couple hundred miles of ownership)? Or, did you not take the Jeep on the freeway as part of your test drive and the Jeep demonstrated the issues “immediately on the way home” from the dealer? Or, something else?
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-358#post-960232

Not trying to repeat too much, I’ve answered that in this thread. But prob 1000k in when I noticed.

What I am throwing into the convo is my steering was tight after box replacement last month, has loosened a bit after a couple hundred miles.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-358#post-960232

Not trying to repeat too much, I’ve answered that in this thread. But prob 1000k in when I noticed.

What I am throwing into the convo is my steering was tight after box replacement last month, has loosened a bit after a couple hundred miles.
Thank you. I didn’t recall your prior post.

I just don’t see a way forward with these steering issues. You had no problems early in ownership and one developed. Others have them immediately. Some have them and they stay the same. Still others have them and they get worse over time. It almost seems to me (completely untrained in this sort of thing) to be a problem with multiple sources.

Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Thank you. I didn’t recall your prior post.

I just don’t see a way forward with these steering issues. You had no problems early in ownership and one developed. Others have them immediately. Some have them and they stay the same. Still others have them and they get worse over time. It almost seems to me (completely untrained in this sort of thing) to be a problem with multiple sources.
I do think it is a variety of issues causing the steering problems.

Some have had success with new track bars, or a computer re-flash, or swapping various parts. There hasn't been consistency with with attempted fixes and results.

Shawn19

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 4dr
Yeah, I’m not sure what the deal is. NHTSA is looking into it as well, the article I read brings poor welds into the steering investigation. My track bar welds looked ok according to the dealership, but there are other welds in mine that look a bit dicey. Like a misaligned part could be causing issues with the steering. That being said the word “alleged” steering issues was in that article.

I’m still working with FCA to get my problems sorted out. The holidays put me in a holding pattern the past couple of weeks.

Geezer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU
Yeah, I’m not sure what the deal is. NHTSA is looking into it as well, the article I read brings poor welds into the steering investigation. My track bar welds looked ok according to the dealership, but there are other welds in mine that look a bit dicey. Like a misaligned part could be causing issues with the steering. That being said the word “alleged” steering issues was in that article.

I’m still working with FCA to get my problems sorted out. The holidays put me in a holding pattern the past couple of weeks.
Your reference to welds and a possible misaligned part leads me to think, I belive it was for the track bar bracket. Where the welds were adjacent to but not penetrating the bracket on early JL's. FCA then addressed that issue. That bracket is now welded on both sides as intended. BUT...

Maybe I'm way off in my thinking, I'm now wondering if the welding robot was reprogramed to now weld at the bracket placement or the bracket repositioned to where the robot welds? And according to design which one would have been the correct adjustment.
Wouldn't one way vs the other affect the vehicles geometry causing the drifty steering some of us have?

Being the stock track bar is non adjustable wouldn't a misplaced bracket cause the jeep, for lack of a better word, crab walk down the road?
Trying to track straight, but can not because the misplaced bracket now has given the jeep a false centerline, thrust angle? Leaving the driver to correct then sending the jeep past the vehicles incorrect centerline and off in the other direction and having to correct again. Rinse and repeat. Or would an adjustable track bar compensate for that?
But then again with a misplaced bracket that should affect all stock JL's and some have no steering issues.

We like are JLU but I'd sure like it to go where I want it to instead of where it wants too.
I apologize for my rambling. I'm just trying to wrap my head around this whole wandering steering thing.

GeeBee

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Well after a year of crappy steering and electrical gremlins I'm out. Took a bath and traded the '18 JLUR for another capable 4x4 with demonstrably better road manners.

Decided life was too short and that I'd never be able to lower my acceptance standards to the point where I'd be able to agree with the Kool-Aid drinkers that it's just my expectations that were the problem. It was a good looking and charismatic beast but after 7 trips to the dealer my faith in its safety and reliability was at zero.

Good luck to all you Jeepsters out there, wish I was one of the 99% who got a good one as this would have been a better story. As it is I'm going to be avoiding FCA products for a while.

jeepthang

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara

I am dealing with the same thing with my recently replaced steering box. Mine was just replaced two weeks ago with a revised unit and it is actually getting worse than what I had. I believe it may have settled in and now has some additional lash that needs to be taken out via the adjustment stated above.

I originally had about 3" of deadspot along with DW. After numerous visits to the dealership and going back and forth with Jeep cares with no true solution or fix, I eventually threw in the towel and took it upon myself to do the following upgrades:
- Rubicon wheels and K02 tires
- Yeti Track bar
- Terraflex Falcon adjustable SS
- Alignment

After doing these (3) upgrades I would say my steering was about 80% improved and DW was totally eliminated. Biggest contributor I would say is the yeti track bar. This really solidified and strengthened my front end. Although I do still have some wandering at highway speeds, the Jeep tracks straight and is more tolerable to drive.

I still had about 1-1/2" of slop so I pursued the steering box replacement hoping that the revised unit was more refined. At first, I noticed no significant difference but after a couple hundred miles it has become more loose and is now back at about 2-3" of dead spot. My next step will be to have the box adjusted to eliminate as much dead spot as I can, I just do not feel confident doing this myself yet.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Deadserial

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU sting gray sport s
I am dealing with the same thing with my recently replaced steering box. Mine was just replaced two weeks ago with a revised unit and it is actually getting worse than what I had. I believe it may have settled in and now has some additional lash that needs to be taken out via the adjustment stated above.

I originally had about 3" of deadspot along with DW. After numerous visits to the dealership and going back and forth with Jeep cares with no true solution or fix, I eventually threw in the towel and took it upon myself to do the following upgrades:
- Rubicon wheels and K02 tires
- Yeti Track bar
- Terraflex Falcon adjustable SS
- Alignment

After doing these (3) upgrades I would say my steering was about 80% improved and DW was totally eliminated. Biggest contributor I would say is the yeti track bar. This really solidified and strengthened my front end. Although I do still have some wandering at highway speeds, the Jeep tracks straight and is more tolerable to drive.

I still had about 1-1/2" of slop so I pursued the steering box replacement hoping that the revised unit was more refined. At first, I noticed no significant difference but after a couple hundred miles it has become more loose and is now back at about 2-3" of dead spot. My next step will be to have the box adjusted to eliminate as much dead spot as I can, I just do not feel confident doing this myself yet.

Have you added the mopar lift LCAs yet? The added caster should help your wandering. Also, what is the tire pressure you run?

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,
Well after a year of crappy steering and electrical gremlins I'm out. Took a bath and traded the '18 JLUR for another capable 4x4 with demonstrably better road manners.

Decided life was too short and that I'd never be able to lower my acceptance standards to the point where I'd be able to agree with the Kool-Aid drinkers that it's just my expectations that were the problem. It was a good looking and charismatic beast but after 7 trips to the dealer my faith in its safety and reliability was at zero.

Good luck to all you Jeepsters out there, wish I was one of the 99% who got a good one as this would have been a better story. As it is I'm going to be avoiding FCA products for a while.
That's really the only solution that makes sense. throwing money at the Jeep is never going to make it right. I'm probably going to do the same i'm just putting it off until I can afford to take the bath on the trade in. People have gotten to where they have spent a ton of money and made their jeeps "acceptable." I'm just kind of living with mine for now until I get more energy to make another move. Not one person has found an actual answer to why these things don't work right and @JeepCares is actively helping dealers cover it up/deny claims. What is hilarious is now there are people that don't even have steering issues commenting saying that Jeeps aren't even supposed to be suitable for road use. Now THAT goes beyond kool aid drinking into skinned knee territory.

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
That's really the only solution that makes sense. throwing money at the Jeep is never going to make it right. I'm probably going to do the same i'm just putting it off until I can afford to take the bath on the trade in. People have gotten to where they have spent a ton of money and made their jeeps "acceptable." I'm just kind of living with mine for now until I get more energy to make another move. Not one person has found an actual answer to why these things don't work right and @JeepCares is actively helping dealers cover it up/deny claims. What is hilarious is now there are people that don't even have steering issues commenting saying that Jeeps aren't even supposed to be suitable for road use. Now THAT goes beyond kool aid drinking into skinned knee territory.
Too funny, but true. Wonder if the PHEV version will be more suited to pavement :giggle:.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Not exactly true. You can throw money at it and make it great, not just “acceptable”. Mine is now awesome. I love the Jeep and the only thing that was wrong was the steering. For far less then the bath you will take you CAN actually make it great.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I totally understand what you're saying. throwing enough money at anything will make it awesome but I own a Sport S. I just want it to work well. I didn't buy a $60K Jeep with plans to put $20K more into it. I bought as much Jeep as I can afford with the intentions of just taking the top and doors off exactly like i did with my 2006 Wrangler X. I can't afford to put a 5k lump sum into making it work how it should when it's new which is why i'm just living with it for now. I guess I should have said. "getting rid of the Jeep is the only way to solve the issue for people that aren't willing to spend another 5k on top of what they have already paid and hoping that whatever replacement parts they install fixed the particular issue and at the same time voiding the entire warranty and still owning a vehicle from a company that has treated customers like complete crap. "
Yep well said. It does suck no doubt. Sorry you didn’t get a good one.
Sponsored