Sponsored

Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

James Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Anyone have any info on TSB 19-002-19 for 18-20 JL and 20 JT “Shimmy In The Steering Wheel After Hitting An Irregularity On The Road Surface”? It was released 11-27-19.
Would like to know more as well
Sponsored

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, , 2019 Honda Pilot Elite, 2014 BMW 535i Xdrive
Wanted to provide an update on modification #2. As stated the PSC was a bit light from what I was accustom to, mostly due to running lighter stock 33's and the pump from PSC being built for heavier. I installed a Teraflex Falcon 2.2 adjustable stabilizer and went right to FIRM on the dial. Drove 40 miles home and made a very positive change. I must say that she is pretty well dialed in now..

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Wanted to provide an update on modification #2. As stated the PSC was a bit light from what I was accustom to, mostly due to running lighter stock 33's and the pump from PSC being built for heavier. I installed a Teraflex Falcon 2.2 adjustable stabilizer and went right to FIRM on the dial. Drove 40 miles home and made a very positive change. I must say that she is pretty well dialed in now..
That’s very interesting. I have that same stabilizer and on my Jeep, the firm setting is lighter than OEM.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I thought I’d post this for anyone who has installed the PSC kit or spent a lot of money fixing the steering.

The NCDS website is where one files for the Lemon Law claim. There is an option to request reimbursement for repairs.

I’ve got $4,500 into steering repairs and it’s still a wandering mess. I’ve filed a claim for replacement *and* reimbursement and have a hearing next month. It’ll be interesting.

Info:
https://www.ncdsusa.org/consumers/automotive-warranty-disputes/

Claim:
https://portal.ncdsusa.org/portals/claims.nsf/new_claim.xsp

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s very interesting. I have that same stabilizer and on my Jeep, the firm setting is lighter than OEM.
I would say it is not hugely different, but it is more than stock. Just before I removed stock I pushed tires while on lift. The movement stock was a little less than firm on Falcon.

Sponsored

Dvol

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
I would say it is not hugely different, but it is more than stock. Just before I removed stock I pushed tires while on lift. The movement stock was a little less than firm on Falcon.
Is the new damper worth the cost in your opinion? I am gonna ride the wave till there is a fix, FCA gives me a greenlight to fix myself or Just live with it. There isnt anything else out there i enjoy like My Jeep.

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With the JLWrangler discount code on Northridge4x4, this was $314 shipped. Self install in 15-20mins and tightened things up for me on the highway. So yes, I would do it again. Are there others that provide that amount of adjustment? I could not answer that.

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Anyone have any info on TSB 19-002-19 for 18-20 JL and 20 JT “Shimmy In The Steering Wheel After Hitting An Irregularity On The Road Surface”? It was released 11-27-19.
Also very interested in what this new TSB might say if anyone comes across it.

NCPolock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Software
Also very interested in what this new TSB might say if anyone comes across it.
Is this what you're referring to?

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...41-recall-work-done.32867/page-26#post-942582

"There's a recent update to the V41. Not only a new damper has to be installed in a correct direction, but an air from the damper has to be purged after the installation, by quickly (at least 1 revolution per second) turning steering wheel from lock to lock 5 times." - vap

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Is this what you're referring to?

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...41-recall-work-done.32867/page-26#post-942582

"There's a recent update to the V41. Not only a new damper has to be installed in a correct direction, but an air from the damper has to be purged after the installation, by quickly (at least 1 revolution per second) turning steering wheel from lock to lock 5 times." - vap
Yes I guess so. Was hoping there was a bit more substance to it......

Thanks

Sponsored

Shawn19

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 4dr
I thought I’d post this for anyone who has installed the PSC kit or spent a lot of money fixing the steering.

The NCDS website is where one files for the Lemon Law claim. There is an option to request reimbursement for repairs.

I’ve got $4,500 into steering repairs and it’s still a wandering mess. I’ve filed a claim for replacement *and* reimbursement and have a hearing next month. It’ll be interesting.

Info:
https://www.ncdsusa.org/consumers/automotive-warranty-disputes/

Claim:
https://portal.ncdsusa.org/portals/claims.nsf/new_claim.xsp

I got the most recent TSB, they told me they replaced the steering rack...tight now but wondering more than ever. Scheduled for round 7 at the dealership...I think it’s time to get out of this one.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I got the most recent TSB, they told me they replaced the steering rack...tight now but wondering more than ever. Scheduled for round 7 at the dealership...I think it’s time to get out of this one.
Mine is wandering a lot, too. It’s very noticeable and my husband says it’s worse. I gave up on the dealers when they told me that FCA doesn’t have a solution and I was turned away from my fifth appointment.

I was impressed at how quickly the arbitration group got me set up. I had an appointment the next day. I have no idea what will happen, but had to try.

Infected

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I've been following this thread for awhile. I have an 18 Rubicon and have had the loose steering and wander from the beginning. I changed out the track bar and drag link and that seems to have fixed the wander. I still have a couple of inches of play in the steering. what caught my attention the other morning was that it was really cold out and the steering was making a clunking noise when I turned right and left. when I was at a drive through not moving I was turning left and right and the clunking was at the end of the dead spot on either side. I don't think it was even turning enough to move the tires and it sounded like it was coming from right in front of the driver. I'm wondering if it's the steering box. I've been reluctant to ask the dealer to change it because a lot of people said it didn't make a difference, but after the other morning I might look into it.

James Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I've been following this thread for awhile. I have an 18 Rubicon and have had the loose steering and wander from the beginning. I changed out the track bar and drag link and that seems to have fixed the wander. I still have a couple of inches of play in the steering. what caught my attention the other morning was that it was really cold out and the steering was making a clunking noise when I turned right and left. when I was at a drive through not moving I was turning left and right and the clunking was at the end of the dead spot on either side. I don't think it was even turning enough to move the tires and it sounded like it was coming from right in front of the driver. I'm wondering if it's the steering box. I've been reluctant to ask the dealer to change it because a lot of people said it didn't make a difference, but after the other morning I might look into it.
if you moved the steering back and forth quickly that noise is normal.

ocrejects

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Tiguan SE
Yup this is absolute madness. Completely crazy how Jeep is handling these obvious issues. Complete company line denial. Mine is currently in the shop but this will be the last time I bother talking to anyone. I'll let someone with a law degree take care of it if it's not working when they say they are done with it. 3 times in 3 diffferent shops is more than "adequate opportunity" required by CA law.
The California lemon law is four times for the same thing not Three, and over 30 days in the shop combined. Hope it works out for you
Sponsored