Sponsored

Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
For your reading pleasure - Here's a PDF copy of the FCA publication! I printed a copy of this a gave it to my dealership service manager. It definitely got his interest. I also escalated through JeepCares.

Attached
Thanks for this. Though this TSB is for jeeps built prior to 5/8/18. When I bring in my 2020, they immediately see that date and say it doesn’t apply to me since my manufacture date is after that.
Sponsored

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
Thanks for this. Though this TSB is for jeeps built prior to 5/8/18. When I bring in my 2020, they immediately see that date and say it doesn’t apply to me since my manufacture date is after that.
the 5/8/18 reference in the beginning is identifying an additional TSB that applies to older jeeps, the rest of it is still applicable to later builds.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
the 5/8/18 reference in the beginning is identifying an additional TSB that applies to older jeeps, the rest of it is still applicable to later builds.

Absolutely! Everything else still can apply. I would also assume additional TSBs and updates will become available.

For my 2018 JLU, it all applies.

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
Oh got it. I’m pretty sure my jeepcares rep told my dealer to perform the steps on that doc. The dealer didn’t do them and there’s nothing jeepcares could do about it.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Oh got it. I’m pretty sure my jeepcares rep told my dealer to perform the steps on that doc. The dealer didn’t do them and there’s nothing jeepcares could do about it.

Is there different Jeep dealership in the area as another option? I would also ask your JeepCares rep if there is an escalation process if the dealership needs more encouragement to do the right thing.

Sponsored

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
Is there different Jeep dealership in the area as another option? I would also ask your JeepCares rep if there is an escalation process if the dealership needs more encouragement to do the right thing.
2 dealers shut me down. 1 had it for 2 weeks and did nothing to it. @JeepCares told me to go to yet another dealer, an hour away, in the hopes that they might treat me differently. I just can’t take off anymore work to do so. Plus, I already had to rent a car on my dime because the dealer had no loaners available.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
2 dealers shut me down. 1 had it for 2 weeks and did nothing to it. @JeepCares told me to go to yet another dealer, an hour away, in the hopes that they might treat me differently. I just can’t take off anymore work to do so. Plus, I already had to rent a car on my dime because the dealer had no loaners available.
Really!? So sorry to hear about this! Have you called jeepcares to find out what the next step is?

By the way, are you dealing with wandering and/or loose steering?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JL Rubicon - 2.0 Sting Gray, '07 JK Sahara - Black
this power steering calibration is what i'm super interested in. Of course until my dealer says that there is a problem they aren't going to calibrate anything. I can't believe that out of the three dealers that I took it to none of them will even reflash the PCM or calibrate the steering just to shut me the hell up. It's completely non-invasive. no tools other than the computer needed. Where did you get a copy of the loose steering publication?
Got mine back last Friday and they flashed it, but only because I also have inconsistent/unpredictable acceleration from a stop or slow roll. It did nothing for acceleration or steering. I assume a flash is newest software release in general versus targeted to a specific component, but can’t say for sure. They put the flash version # in my paperwork and I’ll post it tomorrow.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JL Rubicon - 2.0 Sting Gray, '07 JK Sahara - Black
Took me around 6 weeks to get mine in the first time, with no results. Had to reschedule once b/c they had no loaners. Interesting how swamped their service centers are.

Nice of them to at least give you a space in the post-service survey to supplement the response with your view of the outcome:

5C62411E-797C-4310-9BC6-934D41B8E0E5.png

Last edited:

Sponsored

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
For your reading pleasure - Here's a PDF copy of the FCA publication! I printed a copy of this a gave it to my dealership service manager. It definitely got his interest. I also escalated through JeepCares.

Attached
in the PDF for STAR #S1819000003 there is a reference to "STEERING SYSTEM DIAGNOSIS CHARTS" I didn't find a Jeep specific manual but TRW does have a manual on how to diagnose steering issues. It would be nice if Jeep Dealers were to actually follow the diagnosis procedures specified in the TRW manual as I think that would help find the problem. None of my dealers have used such a thorough method to isolate the issue. Here is the manual - TRW Steering Issue Identification

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, , 2019 Honda Pilot Elite, 2014 BMW 535i Xdrive
Anyone in the 570/Central PA area with a JLU with the PSC Overland (SK500) steering installed? I would really like to feel the difference before I take the final steps to convince myself.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Anyone in the 570/Central PA area with a JLU with the PSC Overland (SK500) steering installed? I would really like to feel the difference before I take the final steps to convince myself.
I’m not close to you, but am getting my Jeep tomorrow and had that exact kit installed. I’ll post my review.

I can’t wait to drive it and am very hopeful that it will be a good improvement.

Last edited:

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
I’m not close to you, but am getting my Jeep tomorrow and had that exact installed. I’ll post my review.

I can’t wait to drive it and am very hopeful that it will be a good improvement.
"not too close" is a bit of an understatement...

ok jeepers, road trip to northern cali, we're gonna check out the trails in RagTopDeluxe's new PSC equipped Wrangler!
Sponsored