HoundDude and M0ondogy like this.
  2. VWE

VWE Member

First Name:
    V
    Vehicle(s):
    ‘19 JLUR, ‘06 LX 100-series
    Liked:
    All signs point to defective steering boxes.

3. df007

df007 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
    Liked:
    l
    @JeepCares: Bump

4. powelld353

powelld353 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2000 Wrangler TJ Sport
    Liked:
    Yep when it's cold it drives pretty well until it warms up. Same thing with mine and a lot of others. Not sure what that means but it's widely pointed out. Now if FCA could figure something out.....wait...what am I saying they couldn't figure anything out. Hell the dealerships don't even want to take the issue on anymore. JeepCares is a joke and were all stuck either driving as is, loosing money on a trade in or getting denied a buyback. Remember to file a complaint with the NHTSA

BrandonB00 and Aceman like this.
  5. Goin2drt

Goin2drt Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
    Kentucky (formerly Peoples Republik of Kalifornia)
    Liked:
    Good luck with that.

6. df007

df007 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
    Liked:
    Same as me. 1" of play. About 0.25" less when cold and feels more vague through the play. Once fully up to temp it's nice and free in the play region, but I'd say the total play is still a touch less.

I think the PS fluid viscosity makes is it feel more vague when it is cold when going through the play region. I think the gearbox it self sets the total value of the play and IS temperature sensitive too.

My "idiot" check is simple. I open the hood and grab my steering column near the gearbox and wiggle it back and forth. I can't really apply much torque like this so I get a good feel for the "ends" of the play. Pretty simple to see where the play is. In my case it's the same with the car on or off.

I just hope they come up with a real fix and all this goes away.

Aceman likes this.
  7. Brad W-Jeep JL

First Name:
    Brad
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep JLU
    Liked:
    I also filed a complaint a couple months ago. check the site for info - https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2018/JEEP/WRANGLER/SUV/4WD%2520Later%2520Release it shows 940 complaints with 723 being steering related - that's 76.9% of all reported problems are steering related. In reviewing the complaints on steering I found many that have the problem I am experiencing with loose play in the steering. If you have not filed your problem with NHTSA please do so today as it only takes a couple of minutes. We need everyone to file so NHTSA can force FCA to fix the problems.

8. df007

df007 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
    Liked:
    NHTSA Data Check:

Annotation 2019-11-22 155448.jpg

9. M0ondogy

M0ondogy Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    None
    Liked:
    Amazing. How easy is it to change the Y-axis to volume (#of complaints)? Might be interesting to see it in that context as well.

10. Halstem1

Halstem1 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    Liked:
    Some others, including myself, had mentioned in the suspension forum that heat and friction seems to effect how "lose" it feels. I associate that with bushings and balljoints, but I'm not mechanic. For what its worth, I replaced my track bars (front and rear) for 350$ with a rancho set and it definitely feels stiffer to drive. I would assume its the difference in how the bushing is made? I'm also swapping out my tie rod and drag link.

Tie Rod Ends.jpg

11. RagTopDeluxe

RagTopDeluxe Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Julie
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Punk'n JLR
    Liked:
    Thanks! My Jeep won’t be ready to pick up until Monday morning. Bummer. I was looking forward to putting some miles on it this weekend.

12. Htfan

Htfan Active Member

First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
    Liked:
    Good news, after yesterday's dealership service appointment to continue investigating my JLs loose steering, my steering play is dramatically reduced. I did bring a copy of the FCA publication (documenting loose steering diagnostics) I found on this forum and discussed it with the service manager before I gave him the key fob.

Their technician covered everything in the publication, however found the original steering box was not out of spec. They did apply TSB 08-092-18 (power steering recalibration) that seemed to have the most impact. Since, I already had the track bar replaced in a previous appointment.

I need to get more higher speed highway time (only driven 50mph since appointment) before I am completely sure we're out of the woods on this issue. But we are definitely heading in a positive direction!

NOTE - they also applied v41 during the same service, but I made it clear that it had nothing to do with the steering issues I'm reporting.

Jennalee likes this.
  13. CherryWrangler

First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Altitude, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 2018 Dodge Challenger GT
    Liked:
    Went 4th time to a dealership and the service guy came with me for a test drive, guess what "drives as designed". If it would have been his personal jeep he would be all over the looseness of the steering wheel.

I also went to another dealership to test drive a JLU Sahara, it also had the same play of about 1 inch (but less than what I have in my JLUS), it was cold, don't know how it would drive at highway speeds. I had to do the whole "I want to take it home today" game coz no dealership will let me take a test drive just to test/check its steering wheel to compare. So I parked my wrangler far away and told them I want to buy a new wrangler. :CWL::LOL:

14. BrandonB00

BrandonB00 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle(s):
    2006 Wrangler, 2017GTI
    Liked:
    this power steering calibration is what i'm super interested in. Of course until my dealer says that there is a problem they aren't going to calibrate anything. I can't believe that out of the three dealers that I took it to none of them will even reflash the PCM or calibrate the steering just to shut me the hell up. It's completely non-invasive. no tools other than the computer needed. Where did you get a copy of the loose steering publication?

Htfan and RagTopDeluxe like this.
  15. Aceman

Aceman Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    JLUS
    Liked:
    I’m also eager to hear about the power steering calibration. I told my @JeepCares rep the same thing the other day. I said let’s reflash the pcm and see if there are any software updates just to check those off the list. But dealers wouldn’t do it. Don’t understand why since it’s not labor intensive.

I’m thinking out loud here:

I’m wondering if the issue is a combination of both the thermal expansion of the steering box in conjunction with the electronic assist. We’re all aware that the steering is tighter when cold and very loose when warm probably due to the aluminum case. How does the electronic assist adjust for this thermal expansion? How can the software determine the operating temp of the steering box at any given time without a temperature probe? It can’t. Software is binary and deals in absolutes but in this case, it’s interacting with a box that has variables built into it due to thermal expansion. This might explain why the steering is inconsistent from day to day. However, it doesn’t explain why other jl’s with the same steering box and electronic assist system don’t have this problem. Perhaps unaffected Jeeps have software that uses a median value between hot and cold operating temps while ours does not.

Could it be something as simple as the power steering fluid? Do some brands maintain consistent viscosity throughout a larger temp range?

Or does it all just come back to a bad batch of steering boxes?

TATER1971 and JMONEZ like this.