First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
I PM'ed Jeep Cares about my steering problem and how the alignment and my mechanic told me the steering wheel has excessive play and can't get the steering wheel centered.

After 2 weeks of them talking to the dealer and ordering parts, the Jeep drives nice.

Fixed.

They said they only changed the intermediate shaft on the steering wheel and my mechanic said that was a bad part that he could see as well, but, the steering is tighter, takes more effort to turn the wheel. Not excessive, just move than it was.

Did they adjust the steering gear box to remove the play??? Don't know.

But all is well here with my Jeep.

That’s great news, glad they were able to find and fix the problem.
Sponsored

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
I PM'ed Jeep Cares about my steering problem and how the alignment and my mechanic told me the steering wheel has excessive play and can't get the steering wheel centered.

After 2 weeks of them talking to the dealer and ordering parts, the Jeep drives nice.

Fixed.

They said they only changed the intermediate shaft on the steering wheel and my mechanic said that was a bad part that he could see as well, but, the steering is tighter, takes more effort to turn the wheel. Not excessive, just move than it was.

Nice. Glad you got sorted. Did you get any sort of service record with the exact parts/numbers they changed that you could pass along?

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I don't think the issue resolved in these last few posts has anything to do with the typical wandering and loose steering issue.
Seems like this problem was centering the steering wheel and a bad part on the steering shaft.

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think the issue resolved in these last few posts has anything to do with the typical wandering and loose steering issue.
Seems like this problem was centering the steering wheel and a bad part on the steering shaft.
It had everything to do with the wandering and loose steering.

My wheel would move 2-3"s without moving a tire and would change lanes on me if I didn't keep an eye on what was happening.

During an alignment, which I told my mechanic about these problems, he checked everything and found the shaft going into the gear box had ll the play from the wheel. This prevented them from centering the wheel as it kept moving on them as they adjusted for it.

Told the dealer and they said it was normal, really?

Then got Corporate into it and finally had results.

I am not reading anything into this, but does seem strange they can fix mine with an intermediate shaft and not others.

jimmydarnell

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL sport

Fixed.

Any chance you can do us a solid and call or find a way to get the part number for the correct "intermediate shaft"?
Also, what dealer? Might be worth the trip. Getting ridiculous.

Sponsored

Alpha Delta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
So I took our 20 JLUR 3.6 in for the rough/shuddering downshift and loose steering. They gave me a 20 2.0 JLUR for a loaner.

The difference in steering was immediate. It’s 100% better. No question. Slight bends in road and I don’t have to turn the steering wheel in the other direction to center the steering when the road is straight again. I just return it (tried hands free too) to center and it continues to drive straight. Same with highway lane changes. I’m not actively thinking where I need to point the freaking thing. I’m driving like I’ve always driven and it’s awesome. No, it’s not a “Jeep thing” at all. Some JLs are definitely problematic from the factory. It’s just like the 18 or 19 JLUR we test drove, it drove completely fine. Yet, when we picked up ours, it was apparent within 10 seconds that I’m constantly correcting left and right in order to keep in within the lane.

What’s incredible is that when I parked this Jeep in the garage and moved the steering wheel back and forth, there’s an exact same amount of play before the wheels turn, yet on the road, there’s no comparison.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
So I took our 20 JLUR 3.6 in for the rough/shuddering downshift and loose steering. They gave me a 20 2.0 JLUR for a loaner.

The difference in steering was immediate. It’s 100% better. No question. Slight bends in road and I don’t have to turn the steering wheel in the other direction to center the steering when the road is straight again. I just return it (tried hands free too) to center and it continues to drive straight. Same with highway lane changes. I’m not actively thinking where I need to point the freaking thing. I’m driving like I’ve always driven and it’s awesome. No, it’s not a “Jeep thing” at all. Some JLs are definitely problematic from the factory. It’s just like the 18 or 19 JLUR we test drove, it drove completely fine. Yet, when we picked up ours, it was apparent within 10 seconds that I’m constantly correcting left and right in order to keep in within the lane.

What’s incredible is that when I parked this Jeep in the garage and moved the steering wheel back and forth, there’s an exact same amount of play before the wheels turn, yet on the road, there’s no comparison.
what did they do for repairs?

VegasJeepJL

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

I had the same experience - I got a new Gladiator as a loaner and WOW ! - tight and solid unlike mine.
Back in the shop it goes for me also -

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,

I had the same experience - I got a new Gladiator as a loaner and WOW ! - tight and solid unlike mine.
Back in the shop it goes for me also -
Same for me Yesterday. Took it in for the 5" radio cutting out and the steering. Dealer says it's supposed to be like that and it's a Jeep thing and he drove a few and they are all normal like mine. I imagined what it would be like with my hands soaked in his blood and brain matter and if it would be worth the consequences and I decided it wasn't so I drove one of their jeeps.

It was a completely different driving experience. It was obvious that their jeep steered like a "Jeep thing" and mine steered like my suspension was held together by CBD gummie bears. So at this point they are just lying.

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Can someone post the best alignment data here? I know I have read 7 degrees caster or something but I am looking for all the exact data points so I can "dummy" proof it for the alignment shop that I want to take it to.

Full RK Adventure series 2.5" lift with 35" tires if that matters.
No one has the alignment specs?

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
They will just run you in circles with how it’s normal and tell you it’s a jeep thing. All lies. I test drove 3 earlier this month and 2 were great steering. It’s a game to wear you down into just leaving them alone. There is no definitive fix. Some say caster, steering shafts, gear box, track bar, LCAs, tire pressure, dampers, alignment, the list of band aids goes on and on.
Face it they have garbage service and will deny everything.
My confidence in FCA has gone from good to mediocre, mediocre to poor, poor to bad, bad to terrible and finally terrible to legal.
Someone should do a “Dave Carroll” on this.

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,
They will just run you in circles with how it’s normal and tell you it’s a jeep thing. All lies. I test drove 3 earlier this month and 2 were great steering. It’s a game to wear you down into just leaving them alone. There is no definitive fix. Some say caster, steering shafts, gear box, track bar, LCAs, tire pressure, dampers, alignment, the list of band aids goes on and on.
Face it they have garbage service and will deny everything.
My confidence in FCA has gone from good to mediocre, mediocre to poor, poor to bad, bad to terrible and finally terrible to legal.
Someone should do a “Dave Carroll” on this.
Yup I have zero confidence that they will “solve” the issue. I’ll be fine when it ends up a legal problem as well. I’m bummed because I really like the Jeep but at this point wish I hadn’t bought it. I’ve had similar problems with a VW dealer and once corporate got involved they promptly replaced the vehicle so I know what good service should look like.

M0ondogy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Yup I have zero confidence that they will “solve” the issue. I’ll be fine when it ends up a legal problem as well. I’m bummed because I really like the Jeep but at this point wish I hadn’t bought it. I’ve had similar problems with a VW dealer and once corporate got involved they promptly replaced the vehicle so I know what good service should look like.
This is what I wish FCA realized. We understand that some vehicles come from the factory broken. It happens. Especially with something this complex and at this production rate.

If they would just treat me like a customer and not a problem, they would come out on top. As much as they can.

My wife really wanted a JL. I built mine to her spec, with me getting the next JL in a year or two. Playing the car trade off game until her car kicks the bucket.

However, we have the steering problem and we have no resolution in site. Let alone a response from Jeep beyond "Meh"....

Guess who isn't buying another Jeep and has no problem telling friends and neighbors about how much this all sucks.
Sponsored