Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

1. Rdmitch

Rdmitch Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ross
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 wrangler Sahara (Special Walmart shopping cart edition), ford transit 250, Chevy equinox
    Liked:
    Mechanical designer and contractor
    JK steering box is hydraulic, JL is electro mechanical.
    Would have to do a total retrofit to make it work. There are kits available if you want to drop a few grand to fix jeeps problem.

2. Rdmitch

First Name:
    Ross
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 wrangler Sahara (Special Walmart shopping cart edition), ford transit 250, Chevy equinox
    Liked:
    The

The funny part is it’s true and commonplace. FCA sent the “regional expert” in to look at mine.
    I verified odometer prior to and after the expert evaluated the drivability. Total test was 4 miles. Could not get to any freeway or anywhere more than a 30 mph zone in that distance.

I offered to drive up to the JEEP factory for a real evaluation. Toledo is a two hour drive for me. They preferred to bring someone in instead from another state.

This whole issue is the most insane process ever, a total lack of customer support and no resolution in sight. Same story line at every dealer.

C’mon Jeep put on your big boy pants and get this resolved or be prepared to start defending yourself in court when someone gets killed due to this problem.

JeepCares, we know your reading here so instead of referring us to case managers send your case managers the message that they need to let corporate know this is a real issue and the pressure is on. All the helpful trips to the dealers are NOT resulting in any improvement so it’s wasting our time as well as your money paying dealers for warranty
    work that doesn’t help.

3. JeepCares

JeepCares Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    JL
    Liked:
    Hi Raul,
    I was able to locate your case and see that your CM did reach out to you via email about an hour ago!
    Alex
    Jeep Cares

4. hubble

hubble Well-Known Member

First Name:
    gary
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2018 F150 4X4
    Liked:
    I can't believe a class action suit hasn't been started already. I've had my 2018 JLUR for almost a year and a half now, waiting for a fix and still nothing.

Bearded_Dragon and tom1000 like this.
  5. VegasJeepJL

VegasJeepJL Active Member

First Name:
    Raul
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrngler Unlimited Sahara
    Liked:
    Yeah - she reached out....ignored my last replies and was trying to close my case as fixed.
    Way to "Care" Jeep -

Agree with above, we all know Jeep is reading these posts, How about collating the info and come up with an all inclusive TSB that will help every newcomer to this issue get a bunch of adjustments done vs having us ask for parts one at a time??
    At least authorize the dealer to get these done faster!!

So far I see:
    1- v41 completed (and any other recalls like the welding and spline one validated that done correctly)
    2-New Track Bar
    3- Latest Steering box -
    4- Replace with Adjustable front control arms to add caster
    5- Full Alignment including more caster and toe in as per other posts https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/steering-feels-loose-and-or-wander.28197/page-2
    6-TEST DRIVE with Client!
    7- adjust as needed

Total should be 1 visit and a possibly happier customers that are not sitting in rental cars for months

Glamisfan and RagTopDeluxe like this.
  6. hubble

hubble Well-Known Member

First Name:
    gary
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2018 F150 4X4
    Liked:
    That would be great, But your dreamin........................

7. Rdmitch

First Name:
    Ross
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    #4612 Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    If I was jeep I would have the following statement included as part of the sales agreement:

As a purchaser of this Jeep vehicle I understand that Jeeps in this series drive and handle different that conventional vehicles. I have driven this vehicle prior to signing this acknowledgment. I accept this vehicle with the knowledge of the nature of the handling, and other than manufacturers authorized recalls and service bulletins I hold Jeep, their dealers, their owners and their successor harmless.

If I had read something like that I would have done some serious test driving and research.

8. GhosttheJL

GhosttheJL Member

First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Jeep jl Wrangler 2dr
    Liked:
    I had my Jeep at the dealership today and called Jeep cares. The dealership said because it's lifted 2,5 inches and has 35s it's modified and the steering components are not under warranty. I called Jeep Cares and they said the only way they can force the dealership to actually fix the messed up steering is if I put it all the way back to stock. That's stock tires and remove the lift kit. Then they can step in and force the issue with the dealership. Which is San Diego Dodge. Worst dealership ever. I can barely drive the Jeep as it is. I love my Jeep but this is just ridiculous. I have never had these kind of problems on any new vehicle or dealership ever.

9. Rdmitch

First Name:
    Ross
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    This is no more than a stall tactic, implemented to keep you from pursuing the problem with their service department.

Under "normal" circumstance I would agree that Jeep can not accurately diagnose a problem when you have modified the design of the car.
    They can't determine if the problem is due to manufacturing, or to the changes you made and how those changes impacted the performance of the front end.

These are not normal circumstances, they are aware there is a serious problem with the JL series steering. Whether its lifted or not.
    They know there are issues due to the numerous complaints from owners of every model in this series. Complaints have rolled in from owners across the country with non lifted Jeeps. If there is a problem with stock Jeeps it stands to reason that same problem carries over to the lifted ones. If they resolve it on the stock ones, the fix should resolve the lifted Jeep issue as well.

At this point you have given them a excuse to further blow you off.

Why are we as a collective not starting a letter writing campaign to the CEO of FCA ?

oasisblue8 and Goin2drt like this.
  10. roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
    Liked:
    Engineer
    I think my Radio Flyer had better steering.

11. Goin2drt

Goin2drt Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
    Kentucky (formerly Peoples Republik of Kalifornia)
    Liked:
    oasisblue8 likes this.
  12. Rdmitch

First Name:
    Ross
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    I would think step 1 is getting the right persons name as well as an e- mail or mailing address.
    Part 2 is some degree of uniformity (talking points) to be addressed.
    Naturally it has to be civil as well as non derogatory in nature.
    They do have a twitter, facebook, website and other social media presence that might be useable resources to communicate through.

Anyone have a name and address for the CEO and the head of customer relations for the Jeep brand ?

I bet Jeep Care would be able to help us out with this info !

HERES WHAT I FOUND SO FAR :
    Jeep Headquarters Address and Contact Address: 6100 Telegraph Rd, Toledo, OH 43612, USA Phone Number: +1 419-476-0761 Fax Number: N/A Email: N/A Number of Employees: N/A Established: 1943 Founder: N/A Key People: Michael Manley (CEO of Jeep division)

13. Goin2drt

Goin2drt Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
    Kentucky (formerly Peoples Republik of Kalifornia)
    Liked:
    FCA CEO -
    Michael Manley
    Chief Executive Officer

North America COO -
    Mark Stewart
    NORTH AMERICA

Jeep Brand Lead -
    Christian Meunier
    Jeep

These would be who we needed contact info for. Then a well written letter along with a document that has everyone sign it with vins. That is how the process started with Porsche.

Aceman likes this.
  14. Rdmitch

First Name:
    Ross
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    one letter....or a hundred individual letters ?

15. Rdmitch

First Name:
    Ross
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    read my avitar

BrandonB00 likes this.